Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
They feed and move about at certain times of the day--------NOT ALL DAY LONG!

Observe what times they move and hunt at those times! EASY PEASY!

Hip

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No schitt. Just like everything else.

Might want to have that caps lock key checked…..

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Pappy348

MAYBE NOT!

What ya been doing for the last 25 yrs. except postin' on the campfire---Do ya have time to SH*T?

Last edited by Hipshoot; 12/17/22.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
Originally Posted by Pappy348

MAYBE NOT!

What ya been doing for the last 25 yrs. except postin' on the campfire---Do ya have time to SH*T?

It’s only been 9 years.

You certainly are an annoying fugger. Think I’ll let you join that small, select group I keep on Ignore so I don’t accidentally read any of their drivel.

Bye!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
They feed and move about at certain times of the day--------NOT ALL DAY LONG!

Observe what times they move and hunt at those times! EASY PEASY!

Hip
Even though those times can vary daily. Have killed at daylight one day and then went to same spot the next AM, nothing for the first 2 or 3 hours then they start stirring.

I also think a few move at night. I have seen a squirrel go into a den or nest right before dark but nothing come out of that nest or den the next morning.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Squirrels don't move good every day. Just like fish don't bite well everyday. Some days squirrels stay in their nest or den hole all day

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
In the wild, they seem to stay in on really cold days, but here in my yard they can fill up quickly and easily on corn and black oil seed, so they’re out most times.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my wife has raised pro. 100 baby tree rats in the last 25 yrs. no two act the same . some will eat things the others won't some feed in the morning some feed at noon some like people some are a$$ holes . we have had FL & Ohio born tree rats . most will stay in the nest box when it is raining out side even when they are in side . they will build & maintain a nest as soon as there eyes open. they are born to be squirrels

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JamesJr
The first time I ever went deer hunting was in 1964. A neighbor had told my father that some deer had been seen in a woods that joined our farm, so I went there, Didn't see a deer, but saw more squirrels in that place than I'd ever seen before. They were every where I looked, I'm guessing I saw at least a hundred. I went back the next afternoon with my shotgun, deciding that squirrel hunting would be more fruitful than deer hunting, and never saw a squirrel. I happened to mention it to an older fellow in the community and he said that what I'd seen was a squirrel migration. I didn't really believe him at the time, but I have seen it again, so it does happen.

I bow hunted a place one fall that had a bunch of squirrels, and I packed a slingshot with me and would shoot at them with it. Never hit one, but did manage to scare a few.

Over the years I have witnessed squirrel migrations like you described several times. One day the squirrels are so thick it is almost kinda creepy. A guy could sit and shoot a limit in 30 minutes with a handgun and see dozens of squirrels in any direction at any time. A week later they are gone. Once I was fall smallmouth fishing and squirrels were swimming the river in large groups. All going the same direction. Fish a long pool and see a hundred squirrels swim across to the bank on the other side. We would motor to the next pool and see another swimming mat of dozens of squirrels crossing. The next pool would be the same. It was crazy.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
T
I do the opposite, I go out squirrel hunting during deer season and usually shoot about 4 squirrels and bump deer

IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Squirrels migrate. They swim down stream, following rivelets to criks, to streams etc until they reach the ocean.
Then they look around and turn back.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Squirrels are interesting to watch. I have a deer feeder that is 126 yds out my back door and the squirrels eat the scattered corn left by the deer right along with the crows and doves. There is a big Red Tailed Hawk that monitors the squirrels and when he is around you can't find a squirrel with a squirrel finding machine (Jack Russel Terriers). So, some how they sense when it's time to become scarce.

Dave
Life Member NRA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Redtails love squirrels for dinner.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC
Redtails love squirrels for dinner.

Me too...

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
All the good squirrel hunters I know move slowly through the woods.

With a Fiest dog that will let you know where they are.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
In my woods and property I’m fortunate to have every variety from the ornery reds, big fat grays, black squirrels and big golden Fox squirrels. I’ve found on heavy wind days when there are no leaves most, except reds and Chipmunks, stay close to their nests hanging on. In heavy rains only the Fox Squirrels come out to feeders or to pick up acorns. They just put those long tails over their backs like foul weather gear and keep at it. One year living in NH the population almost vanished then I learned from the old timers the Fisher Cats had moved in and they are hard on squirrels and porcupines. I learned a great hunting trick from some muzzle loading old time squirrel hunters. They used to locate a live tree then hang their coat on a nearby tree or bush. The squirrels would then see the jacket and move to the far side of the tree hiding but open for a shot

Rick

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Squirrels go where the food is.
Two large pin oaks in the yard and a good mast crop this year, there have been six grays working the trees everyday dawn to dusk and rain or shine for the last two months.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Must vary by region ( like everything else)
Squirrels around here do what squirrels do
whenever they take a notion to, just like the
deer regardless of what the weather is or
what my schedule is

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bartman
Boca, your not at Grand River are you? I had the same problem with!!!

A year too late-but yes.

Grand River.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
When I'm around----They Go To Heaven!

Hip

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1minute, 1lessdog, 204guy, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,746
Posts18,457,785
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.