Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Eureka! Plenty of lube inside the case neck did it! I noticed immediately how much easier it sized. Never did the necking up thing, I guess I didn't know what normal pressure was to neck it up. That was a bit of a duh thing for me, should have known better. Thanks for your help folks! I am glad I asked on here. Honestly I was still a bit nervous just calling it a tight chamber and firing it as is. Had I done that, I figure somewhere along the line I would have had case head separation. I guess I will chuck the Nosler brass and chalk it up to a good learning experience!

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jevyod
I also took a case that was fired in my 30-06, and tried to chamber it. It didn't chamber at all. Ran it through the die with the expander ball removed and chambered again. Again it chambered with zero resistance. So it seems like at this point we can firmly rule out a headspace problem? I will try lubing the inside case neck with some rcbs lube I still have left, and see what happens when I neck it up again.
Now might be the time to measure your expander ball and see if it's a bit over size. You have looked at about everything else. Great thread. It looks like you have it figured out.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 02/25/23.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This was a great thread full of good information. Thanks guys.

Jim

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Jevyod, so far so good. Your testing where expander is removed from die would suggest that you do not have a headspace issue. The FL die as installed in press where shell holder bumps die base, camming over a bit, sets back the case shoulder and sizes the case body taper to where case will chamber ok.

I assume you don't have tooling to measure the shoulder setback after FL sizing so an assumption is that the die is manufactured to give an acceptable shoulder setback where you are not excessively shortening the case.

I use bore mops to clean inside case neck, both before sizing and after sizing. No brushes here as I do not want to rough up the surface of the case neck. My preferred solvent is PVC pipe cleaner. Kinda nasty stuff but does remove loose powder fouling, case lube, and evaps proper. I suppose Isoalcohol or other solvents are good to. Pardon my rambling here.

I suggest you examine expander for any roughness. Polish expander might be a good option too.

GOA
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
This is what the Lee expanding rod looks like. Almost like they expect people to neck up brass! But again, thanks for all the good suggestions and the help!
Now I will run the brass through the tumbler to clean off all the RCBS lube!

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Sound like the smith short chambered the barrel to help with case life. I would think you could buy a shell holder set of various thickness.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So going forward, what's you plan to know how far you're pushing the shoulder back during resizing?

You're almost there, by the way. wink

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
So going forward, what's you plan to know how far you're pushing the shoulder back during resizing?

Good shootin' -Al

Well Al, he can use either a 40 S&W or 45 ACP case if I remember correctly or the Hornady case gauge.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
That's a good trick Swifty, pistol case that is.

I invested a good amount of time spinning my own gages on lathe.

GOA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A pistol case, the Hornady checker or this brass gizmo I make will all work.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forbidden Zoner
IC B3

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J

Good shootin' -Al

I was thinking I should get on of Hornady's headspace gauge kit, but was not finding 338-06?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Either way Al, you threw out a bone with no meat. I just added some cheap meat. I would use the pistol case for now and who knows he may not see the need to spend 50 bucks on the Hornady.

Swifty
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Wait, the 30-06 will work because it headspaces the same?!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yep.
👍

Swifty
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Sorry I just saw the 45 acp method. That is cheap and easy, as I have 45 acp brass at home. But yes, I was planning on checking the headspace for real this next go around!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Felt pen or smoke the case and find where its tight

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Good shootin' -Al

I was thinking I should get on of Hornady's headspace gauge kit, but was not finding 338-06?

In my post of 2-23 (#18169949), I offered to send to you one that I make. No need to buy anything. wink

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
That's very good of you Al! Hope Jevyod takes you up on that offer.

GOA
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J

Good shootin' -Al

In my post of 2-23 (#18169949), I offered to send to you one that I make. No need to buy anything. wink

Good shootin' -Al

Very kind of you sir! Pm sent

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have wrestled with this problem many times over the years--and not just with handloads.

Once owned a Remington 700 .300 Winchester Magnum that wouldn't chamber even factory ammo easily--and some rounds not at all, including Remington. Eventually ended up lapping the locking lugs enough to solve the problem.

Somebody mentioned this earlier, but "painting" a case with a Magic Marker and then chambering (or attempting to chamber) the round will often reveal the problem area.

Have also more than occasionally encountered FL loading dies that did NOT match up well with the rifle's chamber....
Have a similar issue with a custom 300 Winchester mag. RCBS and Redding dies would not keep the shoulder bumped to fit the minimum chamber, but a Forster FL sizer worked.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,660
Posts18,455,690
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.