Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Nice shot, public service.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
We had a neighbor a mile away a few years ago who kept a pair of large dachsunds, and a male dark blue Aussie.

Sometimes the Dachsund bitch would welp a litter of dachsund pups, sometimes Aussie cross. Whichever, about every six months there was a new litter of pups ranging over a 2.5 mile radius running cows and sheep. This went on for three or four years.

Hunting them down and exterminating the litters was a community event.

I managed to get a few pups with the 22-250 after they got into my turkey pen. And the Aussie male signed his own death warrant when my wife opened our front door to find him on the porch growling at her.

Yes, they just vanish.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
Too bad you don't live in eastern Ohio or western PA, they'd be dead already.

What with all the PVC and sodium chlorides in the air.

Not Sodium Chloride!!! That's dangerous stuff. Kills like the Hammer of Thor.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by blanket
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by Hastings
Never ever complain to the owner of a bad dog. You had just as well call his wife ugly or his daughter a ho. Take care of it, drag it off where it won't be found or at least won't be traced to you.

Don't put on social media and don't answer questions if the owner or police show up.

Hastings;
Good evening to you sir, I trust you're either missing out on the latest Arctic air incursion or are sufficiently warm through artificial means.

We're allowed to protect livestock here from roaming dogs, but we're not legally allowed to shoot them chasing wildlife. Legally that has to be done by a LEO, likely a CO since they're typically more proficient with a long arm.

Since none of us would ever encourage anyone anywhere to not obey the law, especially on social media where it's floating about for all eternity, I'd opine that the advice you've given is sterling.

All the best.

Dwayne
Glad your co are more proficient than you, bet your Mounties. Are more moral than you, and your government more just. You Canadian stake the cake.

I don't believe your voice to text app is working very well.

Ha, ha, had to check, to see if it was Wabi !!

grin

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Prestone.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by mikieb
This is not legal advice.... Just advice from one man to another.... If you are going to do stuff like this, meaning, clean up the loose dog problem... don't be posting it on the Internet forms.

If you run into trouble with the law of any kind, even if it is unrelated to this issue.... they will find it.... and find it easily. And then use it against you.

I have witnessed this as a juror in a trial.

Well I will take my chances, baited up a hog trap for dogs.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by Salty303
Those collies and wiener dogs very scary for sure

That Border collie jumped up and grabbed a donkey by the nose and shook it's head before it let go. That weiner dog was a 60 pounder and had a collar, she is safe from me.

Surprising that the Donkey didn't kick the stuffings out of the mangy mutt.....

It was on one side of a fence leaning through it giving the collie the stink eye.. That dog has made a major enemy forever.

Dog I rescued in January

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

That Border collie jumped up and grabbed a donkey by the nose and shook it's head before it let go. That weiner dog was a 60 pounder and had a collar, she is safe from me.
And you fired warning shots the 2 times you have seen them??

You're doing good.

You can't make this stuff up.

Do coyotes get the same warning shots?

Well the warning shots were with a shotgun and they were 80 yards away. No Coyotes get the warm meat treatment. I have seen this pack a couple times before but they never came into my property before.

Dog I rescued in January

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Years ago doing research for a paper (hunting theme in a college Lit class if you can imagine) I came across a story of a survey crew in GA that killed eight or nine dogs that were attacking them.

Killed with axes and chainsaws, so I would call that "being attacked"

Packs of dogs running wild are something to be feared.

Years ago when I lived in ABQ s neighbor caught a dog in his show turkeys, killed the dog and ended up in jail.
Funny thing is that NM did not have a law where livestock owner could kill dogs running his stock until late 60s, early 70s, early to mid 70s here in TN.
Reckon both places deemed it common sense to put down dogs in livestock, but with the new folks out in the country believing Fido would never do such a thing that common sense hade to be codified.

Don't know if Mark Shubert remembers but a picture of stock chasers was posted in either Life or Look and caused a national uproar.
If memory serves me correctly, it was taken out on 104 east.

Last edited by LouisB; 02/24/23.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Good Advice, I’ve one responder to ignore now. When you insult one of the people on here who are always polite and insightful I’ve no need to interact with them.

In the states it’s a bit different. Dispatching game that’s been hit by a car in states I’ve lived is mostly the work of LEOs/DNR. In one state a dog chasing game is duty of a hunter for example to dispatch. Another state it’s a major offense. The second state has a lot of dog hunting and I think they are trying to minimize disputes the best they can.

I’ve seen LEOs do a mag dump into a hit deer’s shoulder and not kill it. When it comes to those situs if I can safely dispatch I do. LEOs are ok with it when they arrive on scene. I do realize it’s on me to know the laws and I’m taking risk if I do this anyway. One time, a deer was hit by 3-4 cars getting on freeway and those jokers kept going. I hopped out to drag it out of 4 lane/on-ramp intersection. Before I could a tractor trailer hit it, threw it into a passing LEO and took out her grill. I was very cautious how I approached because it was a crazy situ and the LEO was white knuckled with brakes still on minutes later. I calmed her down, explained she hadn’t hit a person, and told her calmly I would clear the carcass. I honestly don’t know what she did after. She was still standing in brakes when I drove off.

Conversely, the DNR/CO I’m good friends with I’d trust with my life. If he had to dispatch game he’d be quick and clean. Others haven’t hunted or spent 10 yrs in overseas war. Based on what I saw in BC and Alberta I’d say most there are used to dealing with these issues. Good people all I met up there.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
When it comes to roaming dogs it’s tough. If you notify officers they might visit neighbors. If you have to resolve yourself you’ve become the prime suspect.

I’ve a dacschund and agree with the poster on their temperament. He charges oversized bears in our yard like he’s more than a bite sized snack. He’s all heart and never even pauses to defend.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gremcat
Good Advice, I’ve one responder to ignore now. When you insult one of the people on here who are always polite and insightful I’ve no need to interact with them.

I was kind of scratching my head over that one too.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We had a pack of half wild dogs roaming around several small farms and back country when I was in high school. The leader was a big German shepherd and I’m sure some dogs that had owners would roam with the pack at times. They killed a neighbor’s four months old calf and killed chickens, turkeys etc. I had two encounters with them.

The first time I was hunting pheasants and cutting across some sage hills. The pack circled me, silently menacing at ten to 15 yards but wary. I didn’t shoot the leader and should have. He was new and hadn’t killed the calf yet, and I thought maybe a neighbor owned him.

My second encounter with him was on a day of patchy snow when my Mom yelled that the wild dog was after our chickens and to bring a gun. I grabbed my single shot .22, ( should have grabbed a shotgun), ran out and in the dim dusk light could not see the iron sights except on snow. As the
German shepherd loped past me at ten yards, I sighted on a patch of snow ahead of his chest, waited and fired when I thought his ribs were just coming on the sights. I fired too soon. A neighbor killed him a week later and we found a fresh deep bullet blaze across the front of his chest.

Town people would dump off unwanted dogs out in farm country.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

You're doing good.

Well the warning shots were with a shotgun and they were 80 yards away. No Coyotes get the warm meat treatment. I have seen this pack a couple times before but they never came into my property before.
No warning shots.

All that will do is wise em up, especially if you were in a vehicle or on some sort of equipment they can associate with those shots.

Have a proper tool with you and do what you have to do.

Wouldn't be telling anybody in your AO either.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
S, S, & S... The final "S" includes the internet...

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

You're doing good.

No warning shots.

All that will do is wise em up, especially if you were in a vehicle or on some sort of equipment they can associate with those shots.

Have a proper tool with you and do what you have to do.

Wouldn't be telling anybody in your AO either.

The hog/dog trap always works, just a matter of time and lets me be selective.

Dog I rescued in January

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
In interactions with bears and moose, I've found "warning shots" to be worthless. It's just a loud noise... dunno, maybe "domestic" dogs take it differently.

Sting something with gravel or pellets may get the appropriate response, or maybe just make them more wary as they do their thing.

If you are going to shoot, shoot to kill.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,901 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,357
Posts18,468,926
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.