Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18177295 02/25/23
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Does anyone make a reasonably lightweight AR-10 chambered in .243 winchester that's actually reliable?

ARIC

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't know what reasonably light is to you, but Wilson makes a good, rather expensive one.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/243-Winchester-Rifles/products/1031/

For half that money, you can build your own.

Igitur quī dēsīderat pācem, præparet bellum
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Assemble one.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Ken
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I love my Rock River Lar8 243, very well made and accurate, but like all older models, heavy!!!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Norene Firearms built me a AR-10 243 Win. shoots very accurate and is reliable ,mine is a little heavy.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by desertoakie

Have you bought anything from them ? They seem to be out of stock on all versions of .243. Also they list no physical address . They have 12 pages of complaints on the BBB site and a 2.25 rating out of 5 . Might buy one if I found it in stock somewhere but I would never order anything from them having read a few pages of the complaints.

Last edited by EddieSouthgate; 03/19/23.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
For some reason, my gut thinks that Ruger will bring out a .243 Win SFAR.

Love the .308, but when a .243 Win barrel for my Ruger SFAR becomes available I will have one.

Last edited by Distridr; 03/19/23.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Distridr

Love the .308, but when a .243 Win barrel for my Ruger SFAR becomes available I will have one.

So you are stuck using Ruger barrels on the SFAR? If so, that would highly suck.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

So you are stuck using Ruger barrels on the SFAR? If so, that would highly suck.

Look at the group I just shot this afternoon with a 100% factory Ruger American predator in 6.5 Grendel
The stock was pure garbage, but the thing shoots!
Posted in the chat on the Magpul stock for reference.
That group probably goes .15

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MRKbass2
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Look at the group I just shot this afternoon with a 100% factory Ruger American predator in 6.5 Grendel
The stock was pure garbage, but the thing shoots!
Posted in the chat on the Magpul stock for reference.
That group probably goes .15

Impressive as fu ck man. How does it do in the black rifle challenge here? I know Ruger has really screwed the pooch in terms of QC on many recent bolt action rifles. One of my buddies has gotten 3 bad RAR's. So you are saying they are producing good chidt now? Please enlighten me. Shoot the black rifle challenge here and make me a believer. Please.. We used to hear a lot about how all you guys have 1/2 moa shooters here, but some of us put a stop to that schidt. Enlighten us please.. Prove it or stfu..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don’t follow these closely enough, sorry.
If that was a request for proof, here you go.
This is one of my Grendel’s I just put together a month ago using Hornady black 123
1 to get it on paper, the next 3 rounds 1 inch below at 100.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Also, please don’t tell me to stfu-
I have much more respect for everyone here than to talk to people like that
Some of you angry little men are so tough behind a computer screen, hoping for approval of your behavior from your “peers”, but are cowards in real life… sad.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I wouldn't consider a 243 unless it was available with an 8 twist barrel and would never consider anything Bear Creek.

I would go 6mm Creedmoor and never look back and I would assemble it versus buying a complete rifle so I can configure it exactly as I would want.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are just wanting something to plink with and 2” groups are fine with you, the BCA may serve your purpose. I can’t speak to their AR10’s, but can their AR15 uppers. My very first one was a .223 Wylde from them almost 5 years ago now. It works, never had an issue with it, but many have. Mine only occasionally gets shot as I have 2 more in .223 Wylde or 5.56, along with a 6 ARC and 6.5 Grendel that get the bulk of my shooting.
Only the original one is a BCA, while it’s ok for plinking and having fun, it’s not going to win any accuracy contests. I’ve been able to get some 1” 5 shot groups with cheap 62 gr FMJ’s, but my hand-loads using 52 gr bullets at best is 1.4”.
As has already been mentioned, just build you one and use quality parts. You don’t have to get the most expensive parts to put together an accurate AR, but don’t skimp on cheap parts and expect 1/2” MOA either on a consistent basis.

Last edited by Hudge; 04/19/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MRKbass2
Also, please don’t tell me to stfu-
I have much more respect for everyone here than to talk to people like that
Some of you angry little men are so tough behind a computer screen, hoping for approval of your behavior from your “peers”, but are cowards in real life… sad.

MRKbass, just ignore BullSchittArtist. He's the resident "expert" and "Legend in his own mind". He has to talk trash to everybody, on any subject, that he thinks isn't up to "his" standards. Does his best to turn every thread he chimes in on into a pecker measuring contest.
Sad, really sad.

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Darryle
I wouldn't consider a 243 unless it was available with an 8 twist barrel and would never consider anything Bear Creek.

I would go 6mm Creedmoor and never look back and I would assemble it versus buying a complete rifle so I can configure it exactly as I would want.
6 creed moor would be good.
Ah the hate for bear creek where every upper so far has been MOA or under...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ah. The old broken record.. But what does it do in the black rifle challenge. I never thought that would get so old. But damn its old.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my opinion based on my limited experience, the modularity of the platform pretty much upsets the old paradigm about cost vs. quality vs. accuracy vs. etc. etc. etc. This is a totally different universe from the bolt-action world.

The way I see it, if you like your trigger, the barrel is accurate, the BCG is durable and reliable, and minor parts don't break then you've got yourself a perfectly useable rifle.

A crappy magazine can make a $2000 Daniel Defense AR look like a piece-o-schidt.

If I have a brand new BCA and a brand new DD rifle in comparable configuration and begin swapping parts between them, at what point does the DD become a turd? At what point does the BCA become a "good rifle?"

Considering the purposes and functions of various components or parts of an AR, I believe that it's the BCG, the barrel, and the trigger that make the gun. And it all depends on a good magazine to run right. Seems pretty simple to me.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
737 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,764
Posts18,401,436
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.