Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I've been shooting a Mathews switchback xt since about 2007. Haven't shot or hunted it much for a few years. I always liked it a lot. I'm curious if bows have improved much over that time. A guy at work said I'd be surprised how much smoother they are now. What day y'all? Thanks.

BP-B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Newer bows are smoother drawing, quieter, and vibrate less in your hand. I don’t see much improvement on an annual basis, but the improvements are cumulative. So in a few years, one can see noticeable improvements.
That’s my opinion.

NRA Patron
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I asked the same question last fall and got similar answers...year to tear not much difference but 10+ years makes a noticable difference. I hunt with a 20 year old mathews and it will still kill deer if I do my part-not sure I need $1000 bow to replace it wink

but when is any of this about NEED

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I started out in the late 60's with a recurve, went to a compound in the 80's. At 72 I now shoot a Ravin. They all work, just depends on how much you put into it. Shot this one with my Ravin, last fall.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don’t know how much farther they can advance in technology, but the difference between your Switchback and the latest offering by Mathews bows, is outstanding. If you tried the new Phase 4, you would be amazed. It is so much better than your Switchback, you will notice it immediately.

I bought the Monster “Chill” when it first came out in 2014 and still use it today. It is still a vast improvement over your Switchback. I haven’t seen the need for me to go to the newest bow, my Chill still gets what I need done quite well.

Even if you started looking at used bows that are newer than your Switchback, you will be able to find a better bow that you will be happy with..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I don’t know how much farther they can advance in technology, but the difference between your Switchback and the latest offering by Mathews bows, is outstanding. If you tried the new Phase 4, you would be amazed. It is so much better than your Switchback, you will notice it immediately.

I bought the Monster “Chill” when it first came out in 2014 and still use it today. It is still a vast improvement over your Switchback. I haven’t seen the need for me to go to the newest bow, my Chill still gets what I need done quite well.

Even if you started looking at used bows that are newer than your Switchback, you will be able to find a better bow that you will be happy with..

that right there is the life I'd like to live....looks like a happy place to be!

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I used a crossbow the last couple of years, but if my shoulder will permit, I'd like to get back to a vertical bow. Shraps opinion mirrors my friend at work. I might have to try something new and start saving some funds. Bows sure aren't getting any cheaper.....

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I’m going to take a different track - your Switchback is still one of the most sought after “used” Mathews.

Out of all of the Mathews I’ve owned, the Swithback was the one that sold quickest, and they still go for good money and sell fast on EBay - when you can find one.

I bow hunted from the mid-80s to 1997, then was out until 2009. Aluminum only shafts, overdraw shelves, carbon shafts were new, tiny diameter, and blew up into a cloud of fibers when stressed.

I had to relearn everything again - as bow technology, arrow materials, and fiber optics were new options.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The Switchback was a great bow for its time, for sure.
But it does not hold a candle to today's highly efficient bows.

Go to the shop and try them. Even if it is just for fun!
I took a No Cam HTR in 50lbs on a black bear over bait hunt. 27yds the arrow blew through a bear like it was nothing.
Now, I will not set up ANY bow I buy over 55lbs.

Heavier poundage should not be the primary focus anymore with compounds. Yes, that is subjective to the individual and their abilities.
It is really all about comfort in the draw and release, perfect fit, perfect tuning, the best arrow match, vibration and noise control with good broadhead design that gets it done. You can go lower draw weights and hunt for a lifetime!
Get everything right in the fit and setup and it is impressive.

Lower poundage usually means more shooting enjoyment and practice. That never hurts either. Who would dislike that? wink

Expensive? The new stuff always is. But there are great deals to be found in recent previous years models lightly used or inventory reduction. And the gains will be a serious jump forward.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you are happy with your old one, keep it. Just don't make the mistake of shooting the newer ones.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You might consider starting back up with your old bow if it's at a draw weight you can handle.

When I brought my 2009 Bowtech in for strings a few years back, I tried to buy a new bow, but the guy at the shop (older guy who owned the place) talked me out of it. Said with hunting weight arrows (450gr+) the speed differences were minimal.

But who knows, maybe things have changed.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks guys! I appreciate the thoughts. I may have to see about a trade lor something. Maybe see what the new stuff has to be offer and whati can get on trade.

Appreciate the thought. Thanks.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
There's lots of really nice bows out there now a days and no doubt they have come a long ways over the years. Technology has gotten better and lots of upgrades. Tuning may have gotten easier too I really don't know about that.

My current bow is a 07 Bowtech Allegiance so it's 15yrs old. I use to buy a new bow every couple years but I haven't bought one since the Allegiance. I have shot newer bows off and on just test driving them but personally never got the WOW factor feeling so I just keep restringing the Allegiance and keep hunting. I'm 61 and honestly don't see myself every buying another bow as I'm happy and confident with what I have.

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I agree 100% with this. I have a Mathews Chill that I bought new in 2014. The last bow before that was a Mathews Lx solocam. Big difference in technology and performance. I have been shooting all the new flagship bows from different manufacturers. They are a little nicer but I’m not giving up much performance to them. A 10 plus year jump you will notice the technology improvements. A couple years won’t gain you much. I would never talk someone out of buying the latest and greatest if that’s what they like. Rob

Last edited by haazrob; 03/14/23.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I was just looking over a couple of old bows I have. One is a PSE SR1000, an early speedbow with the overdraw shelf. That was faster than anything my friends shot with at the 3D course. The other is a Archery Research AR37. That one was smooth, and I got a chronographed 307 FPS with it. The last one is a kid's bow, a PSE Bandit. Anyone remember them? It was a real compound bow for kids, aluminum riser and all, and not cheap at the time. It's adjustable for weight and LOP. I got to figure out what to do with them one of these days.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Shooting a reezen, it kills every time I put the sights on deer, no need to spend 2k on a new one, only shoot it 4-5 times a year. Same results everytime.

Fück Joe byron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think around 08 to 09 we saw a jump in technology. Since then pretty much nothing. Worst investment? New bow. They go down in value too much

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
For the guy that shoots once in a great while, a new bow might be seen as a poor "investment".
If one shoots a lot, then the loss at resale while substantial % wise, may pale in comparison to the fun had.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Been shooting traditional for the past 15 years. Before that I had a mathews switchback. That bow was absolute death. Smoth, fast enough, forgiving, even shot it with fingers and a bodoodle rest and a 1 pin Tru glo site. Loved that bow. I shot one more buck with it over 150 and put it up, actually sold it and went strictly traditional. Shot several does and a few decent bucks with my black widow kbx, but haven't closed the deal on a big one yet. Anyways I remember my first bow. It was a browning nomad with a 3 pin cobra site and a flipper stick on rest. Pulled 40 pounds. Shot the old true flight arowws and zwicky 125s. Looking back, I'm surprised how effective that bow was. They just keep reinventing the wheel with all this hunting stuff. Stick to what you like. The old pse thunderbolt and mathews q2s and switchback was a revolution in my book, since then its just more money in my opinion.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have been very much into archery and totally out over the years. Around the late 90’s my first good bow was a pse baby g lightning. Talk about making you watch your form. Once I was able to shoot it I loved it. Then I got interested in other things.

Around 2007 or so I got the bug again and got a Mathews drenilin. That thing blew me away. It’s still a great bow and a friend has it now. I just lost interest and let it go.

A year or two ago I got a v3 and I’ll say it’s pretty slick. It sure won’t make you a better Hunter but it’s really smooth to shoot. So in my limited experience about every 10 years you can see a pretty obvious difference in archery equipment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
605 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 160user, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,737
Posts18,401,102
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.