Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Depends on how it lands when I toss it in...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BrentD
I agree with Jim and Lefty and I DO hunt pheasants.

But, I will say that close inspection of many road hunters in Wyoming and Nebraska last week suggests that the true road hunter goes muzzle down. wink

Brent

That way it's easier to shove it under the seat if the game warden shows up grin

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Barrel down riding in an unzipped case next to me, 3 in the mag when in Arizona and
none in while in Washington. Differ laws for differ states.

Muzzle up has always been a sign of "dudes".

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Barrel up, that part of the gun is way to precious.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My cousins husband Steve rode with muzzle up with an "unloaded rifle",
hit a bump and put one through his chest.

She remarried two years later after burying him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow.
That will make a guy think(at least you would sure hope so!)
I never carry loaded in the vehicle, and I still have the muzzle pointed downwards in a case.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm not sure if its law or not but I've always kept the actions open when a rifle is in the truck. It doesnt much matter to me if if the muzzel is up or down for saftey reasond as long as the muzzel isnt pointed at anyone and the rifle is wedjed so as it cant slide around. The only reason my rifles ride muzzel up is to protect the crown.

Jamie

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Down.

Once or twice in my life there's been so much mud in the truck this wouldn't work. Then they were up and there was a hand on them the whole time. Passenger got to open gates AND hold two rifles.

SD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Muzzle up after making absolutely sure there is nothing in the chamber before the rifle or shotgun is put in the truck.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
In CO, you can have rounds in the magazine,but none in the chamber ,except a handgun which may. I believe in states like PA, the gun has to be fully unloaded, cased, with no ammo accesible. Also I understand they even have laws that make it illegal to lean your rifle agsinst a vehicle

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SU35
My cousins husband Steve rode with muzzle up with an "unloaded rifle",
hit a bump and put one through his chest.

She remarried two years later after burying him.

Damn the luck.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Out here in Aus we do alot of shooting from vehicles, under spotlights. As such I always have the rifle muzzle down on the pasanger seat and if somone else is with me they just rest the rifle on their right leg(right hand drive here!) as it still sits just nice beside the seat. As to loaded/unloaded I always have a full mag, with the action closed and dry fired on an empty chamber.
This means that as I step out of the car i am already loading the rifle this serves two perposes, the first is so much faster to have the round in the spout bolt shut but not closed when the rifle hits the bags. As soon as I'm ready I'll close the bolt tap the bonnet and the ofsider will turn on the light again and two or so second later BOOOOM!
the second thing is the foxes can often hear the sound of the cartridge feeding from the mag and do a runner before a chance for a shot is taken. If anybody wants too see some spotlighting go to youtube .com and type in roo shooting, there is a video of a guy who shoots for a living out of a car pretty impresive stuff - ALL head shots
Cheers
Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Muzzle down and on the tip of my boot, right at the toe, to avoid messing up the crown. And unloaded of course. I have ridden whit guys who keep guns muzzle up and I hate it. I flat out tell them to open the bolt and put the muzzle down.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've hunted w/ people who are insistent both ways. Muzzle up if there's only 1 or 2 in the front and muzzle down if there's someone in back. Rifles are unloaded and actions open no matter what.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Barrel up, towed behind my truck. Of course I put the 105 mm bore plug in. grin OR it scares the heck out of the people driving behind me.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my truck, from a safety stand point it doesn�t make any difference. Anyone that blows a hole in the truck�s floorboard or the roof will never ride with me again. NO ONE HAS A LOADED GUN IN MY TRUCK! Including myself.

But if someone had to carry a loaded rifle in a truck, the muzzle better be pointing at the roof! Because if the gun goes off, and shoots a hole in the engine block, or the transmission, you boys are going to be walking.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
All rifles are unloaded in their cases when in the vehicle. I also don't have any reason to have a loaded rifle in a vehicle.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Even IF there was no law in Oregon prohibiting carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle( other than lawful CCW handguns)...

there is no reason I have to worry about muzzle up or down when traveliing in a vehicle..no matter how remote the road is.
On rough roads, one needs to have his hands free ...not encumbered with a lap-laid rifle nor worry about his passengers jamming a rifle butt or barrel in someone's ear..

The firearms are simply unloaded, verified safe, usually cased horizontally with action open.
Not a one of us will leap from the vehicle, dash off the road six feet and chanber a round to take a shot on elk, deer, bear etc..and so there's no need to have the rifle in hand at all..:)

Now, when some folks are planning to do 'drive bys' in their double sliding door Dodge Caravans after an evening of drinking up in SE Portland....I hear they just hold their cheap 9MM Hi Points with muzzle almost out the open side doors..:)
( dumb humor)

We don't road hunt here..least not in my company or camp..Jim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MickinColo
In my truck, from a safety stand point it doesn�t make any difference. Anyone that blows a hole in the truck�s floorboard or the roof will never ride with me again. NO ONE HAS A LOADED GUN IN MY TRUCK! Including myself.

But if someone had to carry a loaded rifle in a truck, the muzzle better be pointing at the roof! Because if the gun goes off, and shoots a hole in the engine block, or the transmission, you boys are going to be walking.

I think I need to refine my answer a little. No loaded guns. No ammunition in the chamber and no ammunition in the magazine. If for some reason, like someone in law enforcement needed to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun it needs to point up to the roof.

Last edited by MickinColo; 11/23/07.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

303 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 16penny, 204guy, 1minute, 1moredeer, 41 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,168
Posts18,465,352
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.