Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sounds like good time. June 10 would normally be a good time to visit. Wish I could drag a thumper or two up, but still recovering from the open heart surgery, heavy recoil is still not so good, just yet. Shot 50 founds from the AR-15 16" barrel 30x39 with 150s, was a bit in a T shirt but not too bad. Maybe next year. I owe a guy in MT a visit anyway.

Is there a minimum energy level, like they have in some countries in Africa? I understand the 9.3x62 and 375 H&H, I have a 458 L.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have a good friend that is coming up for a visit and is going to go with us to participate in the Shoot. I told him I would loan him one of my .375's so he would not have the hassle of flying with a gun. I was finishing up a rebarrel job in the shop and ran across a box full of take off barrels, and lo and behold, there was a mint stripped Whitworth Mauser 375 barrel complete with English proofmarks, an idea was born! I started rustling around the shop and got the idea for project "SCRAPS". I had an N.O.S. Battenfield technologies camo synthetic stock, a very old Mark X action that I had done much of the work to open up for H&H length years ago and forgot about. I dug around and found several Mark X take-off triggers and took one apart and lightly stoned the engagement surfaces to get it slicked up a bit. Digging around some more, I found military bottom metal that I had reshaped the guard on, so I grabbed it, thinned the inside rear of the mag, cut out the front and formed and welded in an extention to accomodate the 375 cartridge. Hours of time with the mill and a Dremel to tweak the feeding and polish the ways and she feeds and ejects rounds faster than s*it through a goose! I dug around and found some correct Weaver bases and in the process of mounting them, found one of the holes in the receiver was well and truly stripped, so they are all drilled and retapped to 8/40. More digging and up came an NECG screw-on front ramp, with an oversized white bead so I drilled and tapped the barrel for it. The barrel needed 2.5 thousandth taken off the shoulder/breach to time up properly and just a whisper with the chamber reamer to get the headspace perfect. All parts used in this project were pieces from drawers and boxes accumulated through 40+ years of gun tinkering, hence the name. The only part that I had to buy was a Talley barrel band to solder on the barrel and I am waiting on that from Midway. Digging around some more yielded up a nice Burris (USA) 3x9 Fullfield 2 and a set of Warne lever release rings. A few days ago I took it to the range, unbedded, to test fire and she put 3 rounds touching at 50 yards, so I think with a proper bedding job, she will be a keeper!
This young man, age 35, is kind of like the son I never had and he has done a fine job of raising four great kids, with a great wife, and I remember at that age you can rarely get all the guns you want, so that is how I came up with this project. It will be a surprise for him when he gets here. Anyone who comes to the Shoot, can come over and fondle her. She a'int no beauty, but she is solid, and he can always have her Cerracoated!

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
This sounds like an absolute hoot! Enjoy, those that go.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,221
Posts18,466,442
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.