-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an early pre do-it-yourself 3/4" Stith (screws to barrel and left side) with a Zeiss scope if you want.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Something like this? Not a straight on view of the Stith tho. That Stith is gone, I know I have a couple Weaver 29S scopes and I'm sure I have a Stith 3/4" mount somewhere...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was staying away from anything that required drilling holes in the rifle but send me pics anyway. Pics of the 3/4 Stith would be great. Thanks, David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
David, I just went and checked,i have 2 early 250-3000 with stith mounts .One is 3/4" with the weaver 330, the other is 1" with the weaver K 2.5,i also have a new in the box stith mount for the weaver K 2.5. Don

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyo1895
I have one, photographed and played with it yesterday for the revision. I don't see how it could be very sturdy and therefore not accurate. One interesting thing is that it will work on almost anything with the rear barrel sight dovetail. In it's favor it is quickly removable.

I certainly wouldn't trust one in say .300 Sav. I have zero problems with the Miller on my 22 HP. If fact, I was amazed at the accuracy. When I get home tonight, I'll snap a couple of the mounts on my rifle.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

IC B2

wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Don, I have the K2.5 covered but need the 330 and 3/4" Stith. Don't get in a hurry to send the pics I may need more of the things you have. I hope to have the revision done in about a month. I can add the pics quickly after I receive them.

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
David, Cheryl has the pictures all done and is sending them,along with the lightweight 1895 stuff. Don

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
This is a no drill Malcolm mount.

Attached Images
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On the miller-Kodiak the rear is fully adjustable so it can be used with fixed scopes, the fixed Lyman Alaskan in the box that is pictured above shows it in a Miller-Kodiak mount on the box. You do have to use special spacers on a 99 to get it level due to the rear of the receiver being lower than the front, there also were spacers made for the front so the scope could be mounted higher using both - that will not work on a 99.

The Miller-Kodiak mounts could even be put on guns with a barrel dovetail or with one not placed to be usable - they sold slip on sleeves with a dovetail for those applications that are held on with two setscrews at the bottom. These are marked with application codes and many were listed for military rifles and required the stock to be relieved for them.

[Linked Image]

The bottom set-up uses a sleeve -
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These are from the 1953 & 1954 Stoeger Shooters Bible -
[Linked Image]

These have a lot of downward force on the rear mount, as shown in the pictures LBK posted there is about 10 lb.'s, I had the front ring at the front of the scope to begin with and and thought there was too much force on it, so I moved it to the rear of the front spring mount which lightened it some. These are self centering so I do not think they will get out of place from any amount of recoil. There is mention somewhere in those pages above about being able to carry the rifle by the scope with this mount (evidently as long as it's under 10 lb.'s).

More information and pictures in this old post - miller-kodiak-mount
A little bit of history - the rather rough rifle pictured was John Wright's first savage 1899 (CMHJohn) and started him collecting them.

With the sleeves there are a lot of possible uses, like a long eye releif scope on a 1920/26.

Attached Images
Miller-Kodiak mount 001x.jpg (29.8 KB, 149 downloads)
Last edited by GeneB; 02/27/23. Reason: added picture
wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Rick, I'd like some detailed pics of the Stith you are talking about. I haven't heard of that one before.
triple deuce, I would like pics of both sides and the top of the Malcomb.
Gene, I've been on the lap top too long today and my neck is killing me. I'll read the literature on the Miller Kodiak tomorrow. Mine has the shims. I was wondering what they are for. The MK is mounted on my 99T 300. I'll have to take it out and shoot it.

wyo1895
[email protected]

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That Miller/Kodiak mount is interesting, but just looking at it as far as any ability to keep the scope's zero and/or be able to not have "Murphy's Law" happen with it out hunting even in if the going is easy happen. IMO the Stith and especially the Lightfoot mount are light years ahead of it. Just my observation of it, I could be wrong, but just looks like a sunny day shooter mount to me. The post with information by GeneB on the Miller is a good read, I'd encourage anyone wondering about more info to click on the link GeneB inserted in his post and read. Thanks Gene.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I emailed you some pictures David.

Joe

wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
got them and put them on the thumb drive. I'm getting a lot of interesting pics of no drill scope mounts from the members. It will get one credited in the book and a free copy of the revision.
Gene, LBK sent some pics of a Lyman Alaskan no drill scope mount. Are they yours? I would like permission to use them if they are yours. The mount looks just like the Miller Kodiak.

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
David, only the pictures posted here are mine, those with a beat-up Norman Ford 7/8" scope on a beat-up 1899 and a new in the box fixed Lyman Alaskan.....waiting for a better looking gun to be put on....

Gene
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
David, the LBK pics are a Miller Kodiak mount with Lyman scope.

wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I don't have any problem using the pics with the beat up scope and rifle.

wyo1895
[email protected]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Be sure to indicate that the Stith split ring rear mount does not work with the front tube mount. There is an illustration of this mount in its correct form in "Rifles: A Modern Enclyclopedia" by Henry M. Stebbins - a book that everyone should have. Also, be sure to indicate that the front tube for the K4/KVI mount involves two set screws that, if screwed in too far, will dimple the scope tube because, to lock everything in place, they use the tapered aluminum reducer rings to put pressure against the tube that fits around the objective. I have both types of mounts and have experienced these issues during the learning phase of my Savage 99 "journey."

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
David, I've got an even more beat up rifle I could put the Miller-Kodiak on............ You can use any of my pictures you find here, if they're good enough. Unlike Stith's, the Miller-Kodiak's have long enough mounts to work with almost any dovetail location.

This is from this thread - sidle-scope-mount
[Linked Image]
The other gun has a post WWI ¾" Malcolm no-drill. Some more Malcolm information - malcolm-scoped-1899s The 32-40 pictured in that thread was John Wrights and lettered as shipping to Malcolm, it is now owned by another member here.

Here's another from this thread - 1899-saddle-gun For proper eye relief of a full length scope on an 1899 you need it 8" longer than the barrel.
[Linked Image]

I put my pre-WWI 5/8" Malcolm no-drill on a different gun. It is too short for use with a rear sight dovetail in the location on most rifles of the correct vintage, Triple-Deuce's is much longer. In the pictures linked to above it has an adapter made from and old sight with another dovetail farther back, that raised the scope higher, without the adapter it sits much lower. Picture from this post - - Post17449012
[Linked Image]
I don't think the front mount is a Malcolm, it is not like anything in the catalogs and looks more like the ones used on Cataract Scopes (bought out by Stevens).

I originally tried a 28" Stevens scope on it, 20" barrel + 8", the Malcolm looks much sturdier and more fitting for use on a carbine -
[Linked Image]

Here's one I experimented with - it's a modern replca brass scope sold as Tasco or Navy Arms. It's 32½" long and has enough more eye relief than an old Stevens that it looks like it would work on a 26" barrel. They came with cheap brass dovetail mounts, this one is in original Stevens mounts and the paper wrap was to keep from scratching the scope when it was slid on.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by GeneB; 03/01/23. Reason: added another picture

Gene
wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
thanks S99VG and Gene, that's good info. I've had some interesting experiences with Stiths. I sure glad Mike invented the Lightfoot mount. It really simplifies things.

wyo1895
[email protected]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 61 invisible), 2,834 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,877
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.