Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Flyer01
You don't deserve to speak about Canadians in World War II.

HUH?

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Directed at the stupid old [bleep] that started this thread Wabigoon

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Grandfather was a member of the 1st Canadian mounted rifles, WW1, he was 17, then he signed up again for WW2, I have all of his war and medical records from both wars.

An Uncle was a Royal Rifle, he spent 4 years in a POW in Hong Kong.

Another Uncle was a member of the Canadian Navy, I couldn't get him into a boat and go fishing, he had PTS so bad he literally turned into a child trying to get him out there, but he was no child.

My Father in law was also involved in WW2, he fought for the Canadian army, and his brothers fought for the American army as they pioneered and lived in a small border town between BC and Montana.

My Father was too young for WW2, but was a member of the armed forces for about 7 years and was stationed in Germany just after the war.

I often wonder if we would be better off hunting down war mongers at home before the war mongers send young men off to war.

Last edited by 673; 03/07/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't forget the 1st Special Service Force-a Joint Canadian-USA force that was feared by the Nazis at Anzio enough to move its lines back 1 KM. Very tough fighting against the German Army-not Italians-in the mtns of Italy.
And then there are the Princess Pats...
All being said our nations need to watch our politicians -as few have been shot at-and fewer are willing to draft their own sons...

The only real justification for conflict is when your own country is invaded. And that country should attempt to eject their own enemy.
Life is in fact, too short. As a combat veteran, I think all wars should be fought with 80 year old widowers and terminal cancer patients.

Socrates was an infantryman in the Greek wars.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war"-Plato

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And then there are the documented Canadians who came across and joined US Army Special Forces to fight in Vietnam.
There were at least a small handful, and I met the tall BC lad whose father sent him a long bow and arrows. He was above six ft tall..and the MACVSOG team in
Laos frightened the NVA with an ancient native / Welsh bow accuracy-the Viets fled in terror. A true story.
Meanwhile, our deplorables fled North. The irony of the 1960s.

When the earlier Trudeau Admin tried to abolish the Parachute Regiment for their sins and rough training, I sent a letter of protest to MacCleans. I received a phone call. Horrors, they printed it.

LtCol-USA-ret

5th Special Forces Gp(ABN)
Vietnam-71-72

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
IC B2

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have known a number of American draft dodgers, they were the forerunners to the weed industry we have here today, but curiously, also know a number of American Vietnam veterans who came up here after their service, my one friend did 3 tours, and the other friend was a high ranking man who was a veteran of WW2, Korea, and Vietnam. I asked both of my friends why they came up here, I will keep that to myself.

I have several other acquaintances who were Vietnam vets who came up here.

I know several Canadians who were in Vietnam, they loved the USA as much as Canada at the time.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 450Fuller
And then there are the documented Canadians who came across and joined US Army Special Forces to fight in Vietnam.
There were at least a small handful, and I met the tall BC lad whose father sent him a long bow and arrows. He was above six ft tall..and the MACVSOG team in
Laos frightened the NVA with an ancient native / Welsh bow accuracy-the Viets fled in terror. A true story.
Meanwhile, our deplorables fled North. The irony of the 1960s.

When the earlier Trudeau Admin tried to abolish the Parachute Regiment for their sins and rough training, I sent a letter of protest to MacCleans. I received a phone call. Horrors, they printed it.

LtCol-USA-ret

Vietnam-71-72

There was a lot happening between the borders. Not too many people know about those things. As I mentioned earlier, when I was stationed in Comox, BC, we used to talk with many of them at the base or the Courtenay Legion. The majority were Canadians who went to the US and joined the US military. A minority were draft dodgers who settled on Vancouver Island.

Someone should write a book about the Cdns that joined to fight in Vietnam. And the draft dodgers too. Although the numbers are dwindling, there must be enough around to tell their stories.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673
My Grandfather was a member of the 1st Canadian mounted rifles, WW1, he was 17, then he signed up again for WW2, I have all of his war and medical records from both wars.

An Uncle was a Royal Rifle, he spent 4 years in a POW in Hong Kong.

Another Uncle was a member of the Canadian Navy, I couldn't get him into a boat and go fishing, he had PTS so bad he literally turned into a child trying to get him out there, but he was no child.

My Father in law was also involved in WW2, he fought for the Canadian army, and his brothers fought for the American army as they pioneered and lived in a small border town between BC and Montana.

My Father was too young for WW2, but was a member of the armed forces for about 7 years and was stationed in Germany just after the war.

I often wonder if we would be better off hunting down war mongers at home before the war mongers send young men off to war.

673;
Morning my friend, I hope you all are getting some above freezing temps up there and you're all well.

What an impressive heritage you have sir, that's something in my view.

The uncle who was a POW in Hong Kong would have endured unfathomable circumstance. It's amazing any of them came out of that sort of thing to be even remotely okay, you know?

I had an older friend from our church who's father was working for a British executive and mother was Canadian, both living in China where he was born and raised. When he was 13 I believe it was, the Japanese invaded, killed his father and put he and his mother in to separate concentration camps. When he got out 5 years later they went "back" to Canada even though he'd never, ever been there. He was 40 or 50lb underweight and had to go into a Canadian school at the grade he'd left at 13 and of course he was 18.

Anyways 673, he did his level best to never buy anything made in Japan unless there was nothing else available. He told me a few stories in his quiet way of unthinkable horror.

As I've mentioned, on my late Mother's side two uncles were in WWII, one on the ground and one in the RCAF though he didn't go overseas. Two of my wife's uncles, so two of the three boys volunteered and one was a tail gunner on a Lancaster while the other was a forward artillery observer, both jobs that had about a 2 week life expectancy.

The war mongers are tough to figure out when they own the legacy media and seemingly the government sometimes too aren't they?

I don't know what the answer is exactly, but "this" doesn't seem to be it for sure.

Best to you all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 450Fuller

LtCol-USA-ret

Vietnam-71-72
I believe that was the Cretian administration, but Liberal Gornmemt all the same .
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two of dad's uncles landed in Normandy. One night at a family gathering at the farm, around 1974 or so, was the first time they openly talked about the war. On my mom's side an uncle was a mechanic in the RCAF. Another uncle-in-law was tail gunner in a Lancaster. One more was trained as a radio/navigator and was about to leave from Newfoundland when it ended. One of my dad's uncle was gassed in the trenches in WWI but survived, and another was killed.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
If I remember correctly, it was an American serving in the British Air Force that spotted the Bismark, after she sunk the Hood.

Not as much serving with as there to train them on the Catalina's. Interesting story

https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/the-american-who-helped-sink-the-bismarck/

Last edited by Pugs; 03/08/23.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thank you so much.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dad joined in '39, got out in'45. Normandy,the Low Countries and northern Germany. His stories were only the funny ones.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by drover
Nope. But I had a Canadian friend who served in the US forces.
He was working in the US (legally) and was drafted. At that time if you were an alien (non-US citizen) you were subject to being drafted just like a US citizen.
I think that law is still on the books but good luck on it being enforced today.

drover

If you are a resident alien and don't register for Selective Service, it is a disqualification for your green card application. It is still the law that ALL resident males between 18 and 35 must register.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My Best friend passed in 2021, at 101.

He was a Captain Bomber Pilot and flew 32 missions, bombing runs over Germany in a Halifax, then he flew Spitfires for the RAF.

He won the DFC. Does not get more heroic than that! Coolest man I ever met.

God Bless Howard Hicken, may he rest in peace.

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/14/23.

KB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many Canadians served in the Aleutian Chain during WWII.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VernAK
Many Canadians served in the Aleutian Chain during WWII.
I had never known this^^^^
I went and looked it up, very interesting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dad fought in the Battle of Normandy,the Battle of Falaise Gap, the Battle of Scheldt, the Battle of the Rhine Approaches, and the Liberation of Holland . The Canadian Army fought all the way through the low countries into northern Germany. There was a division in Italy, but my dad wasn't there.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Personally, I would much prefer being stationed in the Aleutian Chain, eating fresh salmon, then storming the beaches at Normandy which was BRUTAL!

God bless your father downwindtracker2!

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/18/23.

KB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Aleutians had very bad weather, a wet cold, and muskeg .

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (007FJ, 1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,659
Posts18,455,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.