-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But very little dying and safe compared to Normandy!

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/18/23.

KB

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
When I was stationed in Germany in the 1970s - then West Germany - there were a lot of Canadian veterans in their 50s and 60s visiting Europe. We had the chance to spend time with some, their German counterparts and veterans from other European countries. In my experience, most were ordinary men who shared some bad times. I lived in Hugelsheim which was on the Rhine River across from Alsace, France.

If you can imagine the war at your front door, the memories were still fresh in the minds of the people who lived there. It was barely 30 years after WWII. Unlike what you hear, the locals talked about the war and their memories, both good and bad. They did not keep it to themselves.

When I was posted to 4 Wing, Germany, there was a memorial marker and some graves located a short distance from the back gate that led to the village of Schiftung. I got there in 1979, shortly after a new memorial to these soldiers was erected near the road.
---

This was on the memorial marker.

Gedenkstein für 31 deutsche Soldaten im Söllinger Wald zwischen Flughafen und dem Ort Schiftung nahe der Gemarkungsgrenze. Die Soldaten fielen bei Kampfhandlungen im Elsass am 19. Januar 1945 und wurden zunächst hier beigesetzt. Einzelne Tote wurden später in ihre Heimatorte umgebettet. 1976 errichteten überlebende Kameraden den Gedenkstein.

Translated - Memorial for 31 German soldiers in Sollingen Forest between the airport (Cdn Forces Base Baden - 4 Wing, Steve) and Schiftung (a nearby village, Steve). The soldiers were killed in combat in Alsace on 19 Jan, 1945. They were initially buried here. Later, several were reburied in their hometowns. In 1976, friends who survived put up this memorial.

Alsace was across the Rhine from the base.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you for your service Mr. Redgwell, God bless!

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/18/23.

KB

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
A good Canadian friend's dad was a German SS officer, when she showed me a picture of him in his uniform, in front of a German staff car with their Jewish's friends it put a entirely different light on things.

She said he surrendered to a black GI, and thought he was a goner when the GI reached in his pocket, then offered him a stick of gum.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The First Special Service Force:FSSF "Black Devils" was half US-half Canadian.
Highly decorated for service in Italy. At Anzio, German units moved
their lines back 1 KM to avoid nightly raids costly to the Wermacht.

Predecessor to US Army Special Forces.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
What did, or do call the Canadian Navy's of the US Frogmen?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
We call our frogmen 'divers' or PIDs - Port Inspection Divers. We used to call them clearance divers, but terms seem to change every 20 years or so.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by VernAK
Many Canadians served in the Aleutian Chain during WWII.
I had never known this^^^^
I went and looked it up, very interesting.

In the spring of 1943, American and Canadian Forces attacked the Island of Attu to drive out the Japanese that had occupied the Island for a year.
Canada suppled recon and air support for the battle that became the second bloodiest battle of the Pacific Theater next to Iwo Jima yet many don't realize that the Allies fought a major battle on American soil.

I've often wanted to visit that area but Aleutian seas and I don't agree very well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
During a vacation in Florida (some time during the 70's I believe) I had car problems and had to wait in a G.M. dealership shop while waiting for a part to be delivered. The mechanic working on my car and I were chatting when the shop foreman came over and told the mechanic that he wanted him to work on a Japanese import. The mechanic told his boss flat out that he would quit before he would work on a Japanese car. An argument broke out while the foreman tried to save face in front of his customer but he eventually left and tried to find another mechanic who would do the work.

Turned out the mechanic who was working on my car had been in the Second War where he had fought the japs. He had such bitter memories he refused to have anything to do with any product that came out of Japan.

During my work career I met a German builder who worked in our city. During an evening get together one time he said he had been in the Luftwaffe during the second war. According to him he said many of the pilots were drunk or partially so when ever they flew. He thought the majority of them expected to be killed every time they went up. Eventually he became a multi millionaire and his name became a hallmark for quality buildings both here and in the U.S.

One of my uncles was in the reserves prior to the second war. He signed up and eventually became a captain by the end of hostilities.

By the end of the war I was only 9 years old so never had to serve.

Jim

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673
Many Canadians served in the Aleutian Chain during WWII.
I had never known this^^^^
I went and looked it up, very interesting.

In the spring of 1943, American and Canadian Forces attacked the Island of Attu to drive out the Japanese that had occupied the Island for a year.
Canada suppled recon and air support for the battle that became the second bloodiest battle of the Pacific Theater next to Iwo Jima yet many don't realize that the Allies fought a major battle on American soil.

I've often wanted to visit that area but Aleutian seas and I don't agree very well.
Here is a link for more details, almost 2500 dead Japanese, only 28 survivors, 1,000 Americans lost,, on North American soil, and most have never heard of it.
This would be a good reason for the internment camps Canada had for the Japanese already living here, sadly, when at war what else are we going to do? we may be faced with a similar situation in the future.
https://www.history.com/topics/world-war-ii/battle-of-attu

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I met a Canadian that served in the Alutas in WW2.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I met a Canadian that served in the Alutas in WW2.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 1,041 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,314
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.