M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
..to our subscribers on www.riflesandrecipes.com

Thanks,
John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Woo Hoo! smile

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Dang John, just into the first article, and that E.C. person sure writes well!

Regards, Guy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you John! I’ll click over that way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That was nicely done. A pleasure to read.

Thanks!

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Excellent read, as always.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John,
I started back-to-front. Thanks for the excellent story of your Moose Luck.
"Some days you're the fire hydrant, and some days you're the dog."

You and Eileen stay warm, looks like it'll be cooling off a tad middle of next week.

Cheers,
Rex

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Thanks everyone for the feedback on Rifle Loony News. I forgot to add two things--or really just ran out of space. First, the recipe for turkey sausage is from The Upland Game Bird cookbook, first published by Ducks Unlimited.
Second, on the sourdough, and the stress of discard. You can put the starter in the fridge and feed it once a week, if you need a break. My problem was that I just fell in love with those sourdough chocolate chip cookies, and delicate, light sourdough waffles. I keep making them and keep putting them in the freezer, but they call to me in the morning. Afternoons too.

On appetites: "If I had to wait until I was hungry to eat, I'd never eat."
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rex,

Yeah, it's already a little cooler--but the latest prediction is for slightly warmer temperatures than earlier predictions, just a little below zero, and relatively briefly. Though they're now predicting more snow--which is OK since this is the time of year when we need it for summer....

Glad you liked "Moose Luck"! Took a while for me to remember that I've actually been pretty lucky with moose hunting.

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
John;
Top of the morning to you, I hope this finds you and Eileen well.

Thanks for another informative and as always entertaining read in this latest edition of RLN.

The Cerakote writeup was especially of interest to me since over the years I've painted a few cars, pickup and semi trucks, a tractor or two and a grain trailer as well. Then when I worked in the cabinet industry for 27 years I was either in the finishing department, running it or helping them trouble shoot issues for about 25 of those years.

We had MEK and it's both wonderful and not healthy to be around, but in my experience it'll strip out contaminants like nothing else I used back then.

Finishes can be so susceptible to variances in ambient heat and moisture content too - or at least kitchen and automotive finishes were. When I read about how careful Charlie Sisk was with his processes I found myself nodding in agreement and wincing just a wee bit too, since I'd been somewhere close to there way, way too many times with different finishes not behaving the way I was hoping and then trying to find out what the operator/applicator had done different that day.

One time I recall that a maintenance guy had used a lube with silicone in it up in the air return system of the shop and that was enough to contaminate the finishes, resulting in all 3 of our finishing lines/spray booths being shut down for nearly 2 days. Little stuff...

Anyways, it was a good read once more for sure.

All the best to you both.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dwayne,

Sorry not respond sooner, but hope you and yours are doing well!

Glad you liked the Cerakote article, but one thing I didn't mention that you would find interesting is that Charlie Sisk has thee separate, sealed booths for doing various kinds of rifle-finish work, primarily to prevent problems of the kind you're familiar with.

Best,
John

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
nicely done Eileen and John ! >and my son has the luck in our family i understand John .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks, Steve! Glad you liked it.

Yep, hunting luck tends to run in different ways....

John

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hey John -

This is a little late, but congratulations on your semi-retirement!

And as a matter of curiosity, what rifle/cartridge did you take with you on your moose hunt?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Took two different firearms, depending on where I was hunting.

The state wildlife area doesn't allow rifles for hunting, as it both borders the city limits and several farms and ranches. You can use bows, handguns chambered for "traditional" handgun cartridges, muzzleloaders (traditional or modern), or shotguns. I took the Remington 870 12-gauge I purchased new in 1979, with rifled barrel and slugs, which we've taken a wide variety of big game with, including my biggest black bear, Eileen's cow moose in 2009, and several deer.

Outside the wildlife area (basically in the local mountain range) I took my Griffin & Howe custom 1903 Springfield with handloaded 220-grain Nosler Partitions. These weren't so much for the moose as a possible grizzly argument if I killed a moose. There are quite a few grizzlies in that chunk of mountains.

Thanks for congratulations!

John

John Steinbeck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 57 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,929
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.