Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18199333 03/03/23
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Is rural land a good investment? Why or why not?

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 03/03/23.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a section of the country where I have explored the possibility of purchasing rural land. At least there, what I have been told is that if you want out, it may take a good while to sell it.

I am sure that is not the case with all rural land ... just where I like. smile

So, at least for me, it means being pretty sure you like what you are getting, in case you have to sit on it for a while.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
The difference between a good buy on rural land and a bad buy on rural land it time. Rio7

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
That is what an old Colt collector used to tell me, I didn't pay to much, I just bought it to soon!

Last edited by knivesforme; 03/04/23.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I like Iowa farm land. I was raised that way.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by RickBin
There is a section of the country where I have explored the possibility of purchasing rural land. At least there, what I have been told is that if you want out, it may take a good while to sell it.

I am sure that is not the case with all rural land ... just where I like. smile

So, at least for me, it means being pretty sure you like what you are getting, in case you have to sit on it for a while.

I looked at a place like that in NE New Mexico a few years back. Low $ per acre, but in the middle of nowhere and hard to sell. Groundwater was a problem in that area but cool country with mule deer, pronghorn and the occasional elk or black bear wondering down the river from the mountains.

Oddly enough, I was looking at the survey and noticed one of my high school classmates owned that place. I think he'd been on the market a couple of years then and took a couple of more to sell it.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I like Iowa farm land. I was raised that way.

I'm no expert but from what I hear, Iowa farm land is expensive these days. Correct?

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I've made a couple of these investments to date. I really love rural land, but trying to figure out how to make it work in a sustainable manner. I've traveled around the country and looked at regenerative farm operations and love what they are doing, but it is really hard and labor intensive.

I appreciate the comments.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It depends on location. Upper Midwest, farm ground is very expensive and in some cases the crops won’t cover the cost, but maybe appreciation of land price over time will make up for that. Or maybe not.
I’ve bought land in Ks and working on trying to buy another 320 acres. It will sell for $1500 or less per acre.

NRA Patron
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Real rural, like adjoining National Forest Land was pretty stable pricewise around NorCal for years. Then it seemed there was an attitude change during covid, city dwellers decided that owning a piece of land, the more remote, the better became a good idea (don't ask me why, I don't know). So, bare land, small parcels from 5 to 40 acres jumped in 18 months from around 3,000 an acre to 5,000 and WAY more if there was running water. Will it prove to be a good investment? With no power, it's going to be awhile before it becomes a good deal IMO. Solar in my area,if the new owners are thinking off grid lifestyle, this timbered steep country, is almost useless. As an example I live in a river valley, time change to time change, sun generally appears about 8 PST and goes down around 3:30 PST...that isn't enough time to bring a battery bank up for the next 16 hours...notwithstanding clouds and snow on the panels.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by dale06
It depends on location. Upper Midwest, farm ground is very expensive and in some cases the crops won’t cover the cost, but maybe appreciation of land price over time will make up for that. Or maybe not.
I’ve bought land in Ks and working on trying to buy another 320 acres. It will sell for $1500 or less per acre.

Is the half section you're looking at in Kansas farmland? Dryland or irrigated?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Originally Posted by dale06

Is the half section you're looking at in Kansas farmland? Dryland or irrigated?

It’s dry land farm land that my brother and before him have leased for 50 years. The owner is wanting to sell it.

NRA Patron
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Rural land has always been a good investment in my area. Wish I would have invested more in it years ago.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
We are in the middle of nowhere. We bought 80ac in SE KS in 2010 for $800/ac. The 80 next to me just sold for $4800/ac. I would consider that a good investment.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
We are in the middle of nowhere. We bought 80ac in SE KS in 2010 for $800/ac. The 80 next to me just sold for $4800/ac. I would consider that a good investment.

Only if you sell.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs

Only if you sell.

So it isn’t a good investment if I don’t sell ?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When we bought our 42 acre lot in 2014 it cost $4K a acre. Locals were shocked we paid that much (it is public record). I heard time after time what they could of paid for a few years before we did. Or what their Uncle paid for his lot 10 years ago. Or what their brother sold it for 15 years ago, etc etc etc.

Two years ago the lot next to us sold for $26K a acre. And there was a condemned house on the lot the new owner had to pay to tear down and carry away before he could build in the same spot. 650% profit in 9 years is not to shabby.

Of course, it helps we are in Tennessee where people are moving to in droves to escape high taxes and leftist politics.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good Iowa farmland runs from 10, to 20 thousand. Location is a lot.
The old, it's easer to pay too much for a "poor farm, than a good farm.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
IDK, Ive got my doubts. Gotta pay property taxes of 1-2% a year. Carrying costs. Maintenance. No depreciation. I think as an investment, it's got some potential problems.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
"They are not making any more of it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 52 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,329
Posts18,468,550
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.