Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by RiverRider
300 yards is not that difficult buy a AR-1O bolt rifle in a 6.5 Creedmoor that is ported ,put a good bench scope with target knobs / turrets like a Nightforce or another good brand . buy a good swivel bench bi-pod too.

WTH is an AR1O bolt rifle?

it is a simple way of saying a precision rail type rifle looks just like a AR-10 but its not a semi-auto its a bolt action in a AR-10 type frame its the latest and some feel the greatest. i own one in a Ruger precision rifle chambered in a 6.5 Creedmoor and its accurate shoots 5 shoot groups at 100 yds 1/2 inch all day long. do i like this rifle ? not really but i had to see how well this type of rifle shoots . i would not wanna hunt with it but if America was invaded it would be the rifle i would use.
Do you mean a tube gun chassis?
While I've seen a few prone sling guys shoot them I've never been overly impressed with them. And I built one in .308win... ๐Ÿ˜‰

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by RiverRider
300 yards is not that difficult buy a AR-1O bolt rifle in a 6.5 Creedmoor that is ported ,put a good bench scope with target knobs / turrets like a Nightforce or another good brand . buy a good swivel bench bi-pod too.

WTH is an AR1O bolt rifle?

it is a simple way of saying a precision rail type rifle looks just like a AR-10 but its not a semi-auto its a bolt action in a AR-10 type frame its the latest and some feel the greatest. i own one in a Ruger precision rifle chambered in a 6.5 Creedmoor and its accurate shoots 5 shoot groups at 100 yds 1/2 inch all day long. do i like this rifle ? not really but i had to see how well this type of rifle shoots . i would not wanna hunt with it but if America was invaded it would be the rifle i would use.
Do you mean a tube gun chassis?
While I've seen a few prone sling guys shoot them I've never been overly impressed with them. And I built one in .308win... ๐Ÿ˜‰

yep some of us call them a rail rifle and i don`t really like these rail rifles either, for looks they are ugly but they are accurate . mine is a red Marine version by Ruger.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
๐Ÿ‘Œ
I bought the Competition Machine single shot, shot it in a prone match with the standard serrated butt plate. My shoulder looked like some beat me up with a meat tenderizer. So I made a new butt plate and used a flip-flop for a recoil pad. I've thought about getting the repeater grip assembly and spinning up a barrel in a queer-more cartridge...
I'm not sure the ergonomic are compatible for shooting from a bench.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
๐Ÿ‘Œ
I bought the Competition Machine single shot, shot it in a prone match with the standard serrated butt plate. My shoulder looked like some beat me up with a meat tenderizer. So I made a new butt plate and used a flip-flop for a recoil pad. I've thought about getting the repeater grip assembly and spinning up a barrel in a queer-more cartridge...

I have two of the Eliseo R1s (Competition Machine) for prone shooting and love them. One in .308 and the other in .284. For me, the low bore line really mitigates the recoil compared to the conventional stocks even with the standard butt plate. Went thru over 300 rounds of .308 in the 5 days of shooting at SWN with comfort. Wouldn't do it without a shooting coat though.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
๐Ÿ‘Œ

i put plates on my rail rifle for bench shooting and it has a brake on it to ,but its still ugly as heck .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Originally Posted by OGB
Heck, use your favorite deer rifle. Can't help but get better with it and it is supposed to be fun.
They can only ruin your good time if you let them
Thems wise words!

And can be applied similarly to threads in/on outdoor forums.

ฮœฮŸฮ›ฮฉฮ ฮ›ฮ‘ฮ’ฮ•
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
About fifty years ago, I used to attend turkey shoots in our area. Many were fired at arbitrary distances and from a picnic table. I was a pretty good shot and had some good rifles, so I won my share. One time, I went to a shoot at a remote community. I figured I didn't want to be over equipped to shoot against a bunch of hillbillies, so I just took my 30/06 rifle, which shot pretty good but was far from my first choice. I pulled in and put down my money, and waited for my turn to shoot. The first shooter was called and this rangy, bearded guy, wearing his black Dickies and a flannel shirt under the red suspenders, walked up and sat down with a stainless barreled, glass-stocked, Shilen DGA, and put one about 1/4 from center. Looked good, but the next guy, with a similar rifle, beat it handily. I shot all day and had nothing to show for but a lighter wallet. From that day forward, I might bring a pretty common hunting rifle but I always had a 40X LV rifle in the trunk, just in case. Don't see shoots like this anymore, and it's kind of a shame. GD

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
We shoot a similar event at my club. We donโ€™t have classes, the rules state .30 and smaller and no flat bottom stocks. Rests, scopes open to all. The most successful winner has been a stock savage 6br with a nightforce. We shoot 5 shots for score at 50 yards offhand, 100, 200, 300 yards. The match is won at 50 and 100, then lost at 2 and 3. The wind wreaks havoc the further you go out as the range is along a wooded property and we get a swirl. Iโ€™m not much for bench shooting, so I shoot prone off a Harris.

Side note. We also bet separately $1 per yard line, highest score wins the yard line and ties are settled by group size.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

629 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,006 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,245
Posts18,448,023
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.