Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ihookem
Thanks Chris, I have also been considering 17' . Not sure I need 18 footer , but almost everyone sais a bigger boat would have been nice. It is so hard to find a decent boat now days that I have been considering settling for a 16' too. My1990 Alumacraft V16 / 1997 25 Merc has been flawless . Only one rivet leaks a little bit. The 4 bench seats however, are very hard to fish out of. Ya need to jump over benches just to get to the front to anchor, and I need to twist my back to handle the tiller . At 60 this spring, it is hard on my back . I have had the boat since new and just time to get something a little better for Green Bay, and a Lake called Lake Winnebago.

I have had all 3 of the local manufactured boats, Alumacraft competitor 170 60 mariner motor, Crestliner 1850 fish hawk 150 Suzuki (wife and kids had to have a wheel) then the lund 1725. All those boats had no issues. I would have run the alumacraft longer but wifey and kids wanted a steering wheel for tubing. They never did drive that boat either. After kids no long tubed I wanted back into a tiller, and a little smaller and lighter boat. I have plenty room to fish 3 guys and rod storage for all of us. 67 now and this is the last boat I will buy unless someone runs into it on the road. Not worried about the transom as I get the lifetime warranty.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Also, if the electronics are old, I’d do a complete re-rig with an i-pilot in at least 24v if not 36v, and a couple new graphs. I’ve grown to really like having one on the bow.

I have a 24V motor guide trolling motor and a friend has a 12V, we were able to retro fit the I pilot $400 for mine and $500 for his. Had to switch out a panel on his because of the voltage. I pilot is great, when we are jigging walleyes in Canada and fish on and can just hit anchor lock to hold the boat. I have taken the wifey out for sunnies (her favorite) and had held the boat for 3 hours in the same spot. A slight wind helps, no wind and it may move you around some. If I had to buy a trolling motor it would have I pilot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No doubt, I'd love to have spot lock !!!!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Paul, you seem to do pretty well without a Spot Lock. I think that for all the fish you catch that they should make you buy two licenses. I only get to come up there and play with your fish a week at a time and you get to live there.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
There are a few other boats for sale One, a 2015 ALumacraft 185 Competitor tiller / 90 Yamaha. There is only 150 hrs on it but they want $28,000 . Also a 2022 Alumacraft 185 competitor / 90 Yamaha for sale . They were working on it and one of the employees put a big old scratch in it so the Marina gave a real good deal for a new boat. They want $34,999 for it , plus tax so we are looking at $36,000. That was a lot more that the boat in the original post , but they are much bigger boats. They are about 4" wider, 2 " longer, about 7" deeper and another 300 lbs. It will likely be a better boat for Lake MIchigan. These 2 boats also have a 25" transom instead of 20" . I always felt that meant a deeper , heavier and sturdier boat.

Last edited by ihookem; 03/04/23.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
There are a few other boats for sale One, a 2015 ALumacraft 185 Competitor tiller / 90 Yamaha. There is only 150 hrs on it but they want $28,000 . Also a 2022 Alumacraft 185 competitor / 90 Yamaha for sale . They were working on it and one of the employees put a big old scratch in it so the Marina gave a real good deal for a new boat. They want $34,999 for it , plus tax so we are looking at $36,000. That was a lot more that the boat in the original post , but they are much bigger boats. They are about 4" wider, 2 " longer, about 7" deeper and another 300 lbs. It will likely be a better boat for Lake MIchigan. These 2 boats also have a 25" transom instead of 20" . I always felt that meant a deeper , heavier and sturdier boat.

Sound thinking. Does the new Alumacraft have the brand new hull design they recently introduced?
Price wise I can say this. I recently called Lund for a price on an 18’ pro tiller, boat only, no options no trailer no motors. I would come get it and rig it. 26k. Plus 11k for the motor, add a trailer, some electronics, no trolling motor and it’s well north of 40k. I’m looking used.
I still have two brand new motors on hand I would have liked to utilize one for sure but I’ll probably end up selling them outright and picking up a complete package when I find it.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lund and Yamaha are a match made in heaven, for freshwater fishing!

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 03/04/23.

KB

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Osky , i am not sure if its the new transom or not.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Osky , i am not sure if its the new transom or not.

It’s more than just transom change on those, it’s much of the hull, angles, etc. they are really pumping it. A couple years ago I signed for a 20’ contender but they couldn’t deliver so I was let out of the deal. That salesman is always checking in to see if I’m buying.
That one would have been the previous hull style.

I’m not really a “hull” guy if it sounds that way. I’m too old to run 3/4 throttle or better on a 300 plus horse motor over heavy waters. That’s for younger tournament guys who’s competitive status requires it. If I need to get somewhere that bad I’ll leave a day earlier, drive easier, and arrive happier.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Another question, I am going to look at a boat with a 2008 90 horse Merc Optimax . It is on a Crestliner 1850 Fish hawk / tiller . Does anyone have this outboard, and if so , how do you like it? I hear a lot fo good and a lot fo bad about them. Thanks.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Ihook…
A side thought for you if you continue looking. My next go around replacing motors in a few years I’m thinking Suzuki. I know guys with them and have ridden with them. Really solid.
The drawback would be making sure you have a very good service center nearby if issues arise. I’ve heard far more about poor service centers than Suzuki motor problems.

Osk

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Windfall
Paul, you seem to do pretty well without a Spot Lock. I think that for all the fish you catch that they should make you buy two licenses. I only get to come up there and play with your fish a week at a time and you get to live there.

Ha, ha, thanks !!

I think !

Just saw this, now, as it popped back to the top !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hard pass for me on the Optimax

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
OSKY, I have heard Suzuki is really good too. My BIL loves his. Many think they re the best. 358 Normafan. Why would you give it a hard pass?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I thought I read somewhere above you may spend time on Lake Michigan? Can’t have a big enough boat for that water.
Used boat prices are hi because of what’s happened to new boat costs. No different than the auto market these days.
Be patient.

Osky

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Well, the time finally came. I bought a boat . it is a 2008 1850 Crestliner Fish Hawk with a 90 horse tiller. I payed $14500 for it . It has 335 hours on the engine. I drove 450 miles one way to Brainerd Minn. On the way home , I blew a trailer tire after only 60 miles. Thinking no big deal, I went to change the tire and I could not get the star into the lug cause there was not enough room. I was so mad and livid that they would make a rim that needed a 13/16" spark plug socket that is thin enough to get to the lug. I limped it 3 miles down the interstate . There was air in it , only cause the tire tread flew off and the next exit had nothing but a flower shop. Asking a young woman if by chanche she knew where there was an auto parts store. She looked surprised and said there is a car tool shop or something just down the road. Thanking her several times, about a mile later a Napa store . The had one in the back shop and that was it. They ask for 5 bucks , I give them 7 bucks and happy a can be. Problem was, the spare had a crack almost all the way around the by the rim. Thankfully , a tire shop is down the road. They are ready to close ,, but sold the last trailer tire. They said there is a Walmart 13 miles , and happens to be the same way I am going . The tire shop was open, but didnt have the right size. They had one that was one size smaller, a 205 instead of a 215. They reluctantly put it on. I go tluck on that one. I was 2 hours behind and no way I could go 400 more miles and decide to head to NW Wis. and spend the night at my cabin. It was 82 in there but my generator and a good fan cooled it right off , since it was 67 outside. I got home and worked on it a bit and took it for a ride in the white caps on the big lake. It rides great , the Optimax , that was hesitant to buy seems to run very well and plenty of power , and seems to use very little gas . SO far, just a few fish have come over the gunwale , but more to come. Thanks for all the info and comments. I will keep the thread going if there is bad or good news. It has a few quirks . The old owner was 76 and went with a pontoon. Later , Ihookem.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Sounds good fish the hell out of it. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I found out that at idle it burns oil at 100/1 and full throttle it burns 50/1. It hardly uses any gas at all. Been out 5 times and the gas tank guage is still on full.

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
The Murcury Optimax is a real good runner. It smokes a little bit but it is not bad. I looked to trade it for a new 90 horse but will only get about $2,500 for it so I woild have to dish out about $8,000 for a new one. Then I decided the smell isn't so bad after all. I've been fishing a lot . Even went to Green Bay and it took the waves just fine.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The Murcury Optimax is a real good runner. It smokes a little bit but it is not bad. I looked to trade it for a new 90 horse but will only get about $2,500 for it so I woild have to dish out about $8,000 for a new one. Then I decided the smell isn't so bad after all. I've been fishing a lot . Even went to Green Bay and it took the waves just fine.

Sounds like a sweet rig!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 6MMWASP, 358WCF, 13 invisible), 1,607 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,658
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.