Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Recently, I made a switch on several of my varmint rifles that were sporting 1” tube set and forget Sightron’s. I wanted 30mm scopes with turrets. I decided to make a push for lighter weight scopes, buying up four in Leupold VXIII, VX3i and VX3 HD configurations. All 30mm dialers.

🦫

Beav,
Specifically what VXIII, VX3i, and VX3 HD are those with the 30mm tube?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Recently, I made a switch on several of my varmint rifles that were sporting 1” tube set and forget Sightron’s. I wanted 30mm scopes with turrets. I decided to make a push for lighter weight scopes, buying up four in Leupold VXIII, VX3i and VX3 HD configurations. All 30mm dialers.

🦫

Beav,
Specifically what VXIII, VX3i, and VX3 HD are those with the 30mm tube?

(2) are the VX3i 4.5-14x40 CDS 30mm with side focus.

(1) is a VXIII 4.5-14x40 Long Range 30mm with side focus.

(1) is a VX3HD 4.5-14x40 CDS-ZL 30mm with side focus.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’m with Beav and others. I wanna believe and use them but their prices are quite high for optics that don’t work as well as a few lesser priced optics. They are incredibly friendly in pricing to vets and I’d love to utilize their gear but I find them hard to trust.

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Got it. Thanks Beav.

When I started using my Bushnell collimator bore sight to check how accurately scopes adjust I found my NXS, FFII, SS scopes--and Leupolds--had the same kind of backlash Burns is referring to. I even called Nightforce to find out what the heck was going on and they said that's not unusual. It's worse when they are cold.

My VariX-II's with friction adjustments don't seem to do that, but it's hard to tell because adjusting them is continuous instead of the clicks.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Casey,

It was pretty cold here for my locale when I was getting a few rifles on target. We were in the low 20’s.

I don’t know if that had anything to do with it.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
I’m with Beav and others. I wanna believe and use them but their prices are quite high for optics that don’t work as well as a few lesser priced optics. They are incredibly friendly in pricing to vets and I’d love to utilize their gear but I find them hard to trust.

A Leupold VX3 looks pretty nice on a Kimber of Oregon custom classic in 223 Rem.

Not certain I’d want to drop a ginormous Arken on it.

Laffin

🦫

PS

Yeah, yeah, I hear you all saying, “But if the Leupold is a ‘pile,’ then all you have, Beav, is a nice looker with no capability to locate the target.

“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

A Leupold VX3 looks pretty nice on a Kimber of Oregon custom classic in 223 Rem.

Laffin

🦫

PS

Yeah, yeah, I hear you all saying, “But if the Leupold is a ‘pile,’ then all you have, Beav, is a nice looker with no capability to locate the target.

I hear you! I still have a couple, I’m not hatin..

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Laffin

🦫

PS

I hear you! I still have a couple, I’m not hatin..

Oh, I know you’re not. We be in the same boat on our desires for Leupold. Lord, knows, I have tried.

It’s like some stupid game of ‘truth or dare’. The truth is, some Leupold’s actually work.

I have two older VX-3 4.5-14x50 CDS LR scopes that Leupold did up for a special run Noveske did with their AR called Varmageddon. Both of those scope have been really great.

The question is do you ‘dare’ to try again?

🦫

“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I’d kinda like to leave this as ol Bob had it. but man, it tests my patience.

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
…damn!

I have enough skin in the game with Leupold scopes to form an opinion. Not an opinion based on one or two scopes, more like circling the neighborhood of 25 Leupold scopes at one point.

I’ve used their VX6 line for several rifles, and I actually had good success with them. I sold all except for one. I’ve only owned one VX5, still have it. It’s been a good scope but it’s been relegated to the semi-retirement shelf until something comes up for it to ride.

A few of my Leupold’s are VXII variants. The others are variations of the VX3 models, including the newer VX3 HD line.

After mounting and sighting in three of the four. I found that all three had a propensity of having a lot of ‘deadness or slop’ when using both elevation and windage to correct for sighting in off a solid bench rest…

What I mean by ‘deadness - slop’ is, with the rifle steady, I’m watching for the reticle to move towards a bullet hole in the target for correction. The Leupold’s would not engage and move the reticle when I started to dial. There was this hesitation, more like a pause, with no reticle movement, until I was fully twisting the turrets way past the point when they should have engaged the internals.

All three scopes eventually moved the reticle. But in no way, was it precise. More like crank, crank a little more, then the reticle moved.

You might imagine the feeling of faith this gave me for dialing elevation while varmint hunting. It’s a good thing these rifles are only pointed at ground squirrels, pdogs, coyotes and such.

IDK, maybe they’ll be fine. Lol.

🦫

The reticle should move on the first click.

We test every scope on the collimator to check for backlash and the optic tracks as it should. Most scopes have about 1/2 a click of backlash.

You should solidly bench mount the optics and check for backlash, move the reticle one direction and then reverse.

I do always make the finish move down on elevation and left on windage but that's from having run mills and lathes for so long.

John,

Which models are you testing and what are the pass rates?

Last edited by Akbob5; 03/06/23.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
All of mine are older ones. All set it and forget it.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Beautiful rifle

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

Beautiful rifle

No doubt!

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have many Leupolds, but I’m a set and forget shooter. If I did knob turning I’d go with another scope. Longest shot I have is 275 yards. I’ve put my target down there, got hold over figured out. It’s 225 to green feeder.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 03/06/23.
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

We test every scope on the collimator to check for backlash and the optic tracks as it should. Most scopes have about 1/2 a click of backlash.

You should solidly bench mount the optics and check for backlash, move the reticle one direction and then reverse.

I do always make the finish move down on elevation and left on windage but that's from having run mills and lathes for so long.

lol

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Nice country there Hanco…..

Have fun.....j3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by add

lol

I laughed as well....."we"

I laughed again on the last sentence

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Akbob5
John,

Which models are you testing and what are the pass rates?

Have tested 100s of VX-3s in 4.5-14 but these were assembled in the custom shop with my 1/3 MOA turrets.

Now days its mostly VX-6s in 3-18.

I never had one fail for backlash or tracking but had issues with a few MK-6s and there is a reason Leupold discontinued that optic.

Had a VX-6 that tracked out (shifted POA) when zoomed.

Had VX-3s that lost the backlash o-ring because of light staking on the retaining ring many years ago.

It's a pretty simple system where the turret pushes the erector and the bias springs pushes it back.

The erector can't just hang out and not move.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 03/06/23.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Way to go Beav.......you've just subjected us to another round of regurgitated, decades old, LardassBurns and HomoCamuglia pics.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
What’s funny is you don’t have to spend more to actually own a scope that adjusts correctly. Fugking Laughing !

Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
If they had any common sense they’d have redesigned the internals to actually work when they came out with all the 30mm and bigger tubes with bigger mag ranges.

Originally Posted by 10at6
Sightron. They make great scopes

A trifecta of dumbfuqks

😂

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
two peas in a pod

GOA
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (007FJ, 163bc, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,884 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,453,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.