Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by battue
So… pretty much 40 shots have made a ragged hole.

Over 20 years

High volume and a master of his domain

You should post pics of your ribbons/trophy’s and that list of accolades you’ve received. Everyone’s impressed.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Pumpkin pie pics at the restaurant sans family for an encore?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’m trying to get an idea what some mean by set and forget. And even though I like Leopold I don’t find that a great endorsement.

If using the same load, then set and forget should mean they all should land relatively close. When I read two touching every year for 20 years, does that mean one ragged hole. Or does one’s adjust every year until two are touching, and call it good.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jackwagon
You should post pics of your ribbons/trophy’s and that list of accolades you’ve received earned. Everyone’s impressed.

Naw. Those entailed dialing drop data and so did the majority of my Long Range Kills.

It’s the way it works for precision

And the list is quite impressive 👍🏼

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I’ve taken lots of game from a few feet to over 300 yards with the same set and forget scope, it’s not that hard actually.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Have you ever shot at a target from 500 to 1500 yards?

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
Rick,

Any guesses on come-ups to the downed trees in the background? whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

What does it matter.

That Leupold lost zero on the climb up. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Out to 500 yes prairie dogs and coyotes, hit some miss some but didn’t really matter. I’ve never hunted a game animal I couldn’t get within 300 yards of, and I’ve taken a lot.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There is no place to shoot that far around here. The majority of gun club ranges in the area are 100 yards. The longest in the County is 200 yards. There is a 300 yard range in the next County. Some people actually like to hunt before they shoot. Others simply don't have anyplace in their AO where they can even see game from 500 yards. There are these things called trees/forests that prevent it.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Heym06
I've been using variable power scopes for many years. Originally I set them on four and thats where they stayed. Now days the last ten or so years, I have found setting on five works. I don't swap scopes from rifle to rifle. And very seldom have to change the original sight in!

This thread is awesome
It doesn't mean I don't play around with mediun range, 600 yds, and dial for fun. No thousand yard ranges near. My hunting areas don't require long range tactics. I never got the bug, for long range hunting. Now it's more awesome!😎

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jackmountain
So… pretty much 40 shots have made a ragged hole.

Over 20 years

High volume and a master of his domain

You should post pics of your ribbons/trophy’s and that list of accolades you’ve received. Everyone’s impressed.

Other than he shoots Leupold scopes why the slam on Rick? The Campfire is a "pics or it didn't happen" website. Talk your game without proof, and sooner or later someone is going to jump on your case. He talks LR shooting and backs it up with proof. Looks like if he slammed Leopold, and raved on about the other top end scopes it would all be ok? Ya, that's what it looks like.

Show off your most recent kill, new truck, pics of where you went fishing or hunting. "Yay ,great job!!!!"......Brag on Leupold too much, along with showing proof and giving some [bleep] back in the process, and you go to the colony. laugh

Last edited by battue; 03/10/23.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Seems kinda like using a 12” ruler to try to measure something 8 feet long by guessing after the first foot.

Unless everything you measure is a foot or less

OR hone your skills, know your weapon and your cartridge and you are good to go as far as I care to HUNT an animal..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've killed animals from point blank to 1200 yards. I've killed the majority of whitetail with a bow under 40 yards. I have long range hunting rifles, long range target rifles, varmint rifles, and short-range timber hunting rifles. I select the right tool for the job.

If you think there is only one tool; you're probably the tool.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by drop_point

Lots of wisdom in this short statement. Well put.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Again....Just what is or are the various individual definitions of set and forget? Myself, if I'm using the same load then it should be very close for each range session or hunt. Consistently off by a couple inches isn't set and forget.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WMR

In this case there can be one tool...If you can use it proficiently close and far. Isn't that why they make 3x18, 4x16, 5x25, etc, etc.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Might want to stay on track with the OP.

This thread is not about killing game

It’s about using a scope on a rifle to precisely steer bullets as you would use your calipers or tape to precisely measure, to make impacts on whatever you’re shooting at, any distance

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Writing as a refugee from Planet 4MOA, I can tell you that once I learned about Maximum Point Blank Range, its calculation, and its ramifications, I pretty much stopped twiddling scope knobs. Once I get the crosshairs 2 inches above Zero at 100 yards, I'm good to go out beyond 200 yards with most of my deer rifles. Last fall, I made the longest shot at a buck of my life, a whopping 200 yards.

One of the reasons Planet 4MOA evolved the way it did, is because there is no real reason for it not to. If you can go to Walmart and get your new deer rifle zeroed by the counter monkey and go out the next day and shoot a nice buck, who is going to give a rat's patoot about any of this scope falderal. Granted, it was only a 50 yard shot out of a treestand, and with a couple of beers the distance balloons to 150 yards, but a dead deer is a dead deer. Still, 50 yards was as far as a fellow could see in these cedar thickets.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Might want to stay on track with the OP.

This thread is not about killing game

It’s about using a scope on a rifle to precisely steer bullets as you would use your calipers or tape to precisely measure, to make impacts on whatever you’re shooting at, any distance

Then if it's just about punching paper or ringing steel, then we are in agreement...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WMR

In this case there can be one tool...If you can use it proficiently close and far. Isn't that why they make 3x18, 4x16, 5x25, etc, etc.

I wouldn't use a 10-50x target scope on a long range hunting rifle that I intended to make a 50 yard shot with. I wouldn't use a high-recoiling long-range hunting rifle for F-Class.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 16penny, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,209
Posts18,466,132
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.