Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Seems kinda like using a 12” ruler to try to measure something 8 feet long by guessing after the first foot.

Unless everything you measure is a foot or less

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
BP-B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I bet that made perfect sense last night.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Seems kinda like using a 12” ruler to try to measure something 8 feet long by guessing after the first foot.

You, uhhhhh, ever hunted east of the Mississippi?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The OP is the guy who watches a dozen rutting bucks mosey into a privet hedge thicket while he is fiddling with his scope.

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Context is pretty important when making a statement like that.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I honestly can’t remember the last buck i shot that wasn’t moving at at least a fast walk.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JoeBob
The OP is the guy who watches a dozen rutting bucks mosey into a privet hedge thicket while he is fiddling with his scope.

Longest shot on an elk I’ve ever made I had 10-15 seconds to make the shot from the time I saw him.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 03/09/23.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Lol……

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Based on the last 30 plus years of hunting I am pretty sure I'd do fine with a set and forget scope. I don't own any as I do like dialing in most western situations. So whatever I guess. Sure has been a long winter.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane

You, uhhhhh, ever hunted east of the Mississippi?

Wait til he learns you can hit something with open sights, the OG set and forget. Those little fuggers are a bitch to dial when deer are pouring through inside 40 yards...

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've made one-shot kills from 400 yards in to less than 20 yards with the same rifle with a "set and forget" scope. I guess some of us can manage with that 12" ruler.

Mathew 22: 37-39

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Longest shot on an elk I’ve ever made I had 10-15 seconds to make the shot from the time I saw him.

That’s about 12 seconds more than the whitetail buck I shot at about 80 yards this past November as it snuck through a slough full of button willows.

Last edited by JoeBob; 03/09/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've set my Leupold VarX-III 2.5x8 on my 30/06 at 3" high 40 years ago. It's killed everything I shot at. Never had to reset or adjust. Use the same 180 grain load for everything. Simple smile

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A 12" ruler is all that is needed to kill stacks a critters in Missouri

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
30 big game animals so far and numerous coyotes with this particular rifle
Closest was 19 yards, furthest 372.
Haven't touched the scope since dialing it at 200 meters years ago, and it has been on and off the rifle several times, because I like to use the irons as well.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I set my rifles up for 3-31/2” high (depending on cartridge/load). It’s worked for 40years. Most of the shots have been 3-400yds. I’ve never had an issue at closer ranges even though bullets can be 4-5” high at their zenith. As I think about my hunting, particularly out west, time to range, read the wind and dial would have prevented a majority of my shots. I know my trajectories and wind drifts, but at the ranges I find myself most comfortable with, I find Kentucky windage has worked just fine. While I’ve killed deer, antelope and elk at 600yds plus, i choose not to shoot unwounded animals at those ranges because of difficulty gauging different wind currents, and more importantly, that an animal might move as I squeeze off a shot. Just my experience.

I do own a number of scopes that have the mechanics to dial reliably but have only used them on the range or on prairie dogs.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The wife's 300 win has a Leupold VX3 6x42, with a LRD reticle, on it. The only load shot through this gun is factory Nosler Custom 200 grain accubonds. She has run it for the last 20+ years on elk, bear, and many deer. Our daughter has used it on occasion, as have myself. The gun has not missed a season.

In those 20+ years, during preseason sight verification of a 200 yard zero, the windage cap has been off the scope once....for an adjustment of 2 clicks. The elevation cap has not been removed. This gun cuts holes at 100 yards, everytime.

Her favorite hayfield is 497 yards to the far fence line. The other side of the fence is the bedding area, and owned by someone who allows no hunting OR deer recovery. Any deer along that fence, must be anchored in it's tracks, requiring high shoulder shots. She is 100% on about a dozen deer, along that fence.

Simple scope, simple reticle, and no fussing with knobs or power settings....just a killing machine out to 500 yards.

Andy3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Always a lot of painting with a broad brush on the fire. Where I hunt while not impossible to have a chance to dial but there is generally no time or need.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Translation: “I have a hard time getting within 400 yards of a game animal”

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The bigger question is how many holes will it cut...everytime?

laissez les bons temps rouler
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
2 at a time/year.....times 20+ years.

Andy3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only rutting buck I shot this year was viewable for maybe 6 seconds total at a bit over 200yds. I shot him when he was one step from being out of sight. This is not uncommon where I hunt. Many of my spots max out at 200-250yds of visibility, so there is no scope fiddling necessary. I also hunt a few spots where I can see 400-500yds and there is more than one way to skin a cat there, be it a flat MPBR (257wby), a BDC reticle, or even dials. I use them all. The nice thing about a BDC or dials is that you aren't forced to employ them until you need them. A couple of my rifles/carbines that never see use past 300yds wear a scope with no drop compensation method other than hold-over and that's fine for the medium-range situations for which they are favored.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Even though many of my scopes have elevation dials for range adjustment, I'm mostly a set and forget hunter as most of my shots are under 300 yards and do not require adjustment. Even though they are "custom" by Leupold based on the cartridge/ballistics, they really need to be tested at range to see how close they actually are to the distance scribed on the turret. I just don't really shoot at longer distances at targets/steel as much as I'd like to, local range limited to 100 yards.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I've set my Leupold VarX-III 2.5x8 on my 30/06 at 3" high 40 years ago. It's killed everything I shot at. Never had to reset or adjust. Use the same 180 grain load for everything. Simple smile

Pretty much my story. I use the same load but swap back and forth between NPT's and I/L's. It's only been 30 years for me though and I finally changed to a new 2.5-8x36 last fall.

I put the first scope scope on my .375 H&H rifle in place of the 1.75x6..

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
So… pretty much 40 shots have made a ragged hole.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
2 shots per year, touching each other.....I call that cutting holes...not a ragged hole. A box car full of dead deer, bear, and elk, out to 500 yards, for proof.

This is not a high volume shooting rig. The ammo is too hard to find, to waste on paper. It has proved itself for a long time, as has the scope.

If your on the prod, and looking to start $hit....go somewhere else.

Andy3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Don’t want to start anything, however sometimes I like to question what I read.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rick,

Any guesses on come-ups to the downed trees in the background? whistle

WWP53D
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Damn Scott how would any of us know, unless you turn around and take a pic. All you are showing us is the foreground. grin

Or maybe you are facing the other way. These optics forums are hard to keep straight...

Last edited by battue; 03/09/23.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rick,

Minus 2 clicks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yep

Know your rifle and how to shoot it.

WTH did we do before technology took over "hunting"? I guess all the deer and antelope I got dropped dead, laughing at my '06 with a K 2.5 and later a K 4 on top.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The last thing I want to be doing is holding my bourbon, trying to make a shoot on a B&C whitetail AND dialing a dial.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rick,

If you use QD rings you can flip your Hubble around backwards for when the deer come in too close. Just don't forget to invert your dope chart with a pocket mirror.

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've killed a lot of deer with iron sights. Quite a few with round nosed bullets, rifled slugs, round balls and even arrows. Haven't had a shot opportunity over 300 yards since 1994. Don't have any need to dial a scope. Only take a range finder with me when I'm gonna be slingin arrows.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JPro
If you use QD rings you can flip your Hubble around backwards for when the deer come in too close. Just don't forget to invert your dope chart with a pocket mirror.

I like it!

WWP53D
J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Kaleb

LMAO!!

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Yep

Know your rifle and how to shoot it.

WTH did we do before technology took over "hunting"? I guess all the deer and antelope I got dropped dead, laughing at my '06 with a K 2.5 and later a K 4 on top.

I bet ya werent wearin' a stitch of Sitka, Kuiu or First Lite, ....or Kenetreks or Crispis, either.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 03/09/23.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I've been using variable power scopes for many years. Originally I set them on four and thats where they stayed. Now days the last ten or so years, I have found setting on five works. I don't swap scopes from rifle to rifle. And very seldom have to change the original sight in!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Heym06
I've been using variable power scopes for many years. Originally I set them on four and thats where they stayed. Now days the last ten or so years, I have found setting on five works. I don't swap scopes from rifle to rifle. And very seldom have to change the original sight in!

This thread is awesome

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue

Over 20 years

High volume and a master of his domain

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

Over 20 years

You should post pics of your ribbons/trophy’s and that list of accolades you’ve received. Everyone’s impressed.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Pumpkin pie pics at the restaurant sans family for an encore?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’m trying to get an idea what some mean by set and forget. And even though I like Leopold I don’t find that a great endorsement.

If using the same load, then set and forget should mean they all should land relatively close. When I read two touching every year for 20 years, does that mean one ragged hole. Or does one’s adjust every year until two are touching, and call it good.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jackwagon
You should post pics of your ribbons/trophy’s and that list of accolades you’ve received earned. Everyone’s impressed.

Naw. Those entailed dialing drop data and so did the majority of my Long Range Kills.

It’s the way it works for precision

And the list is quite impressive 👍🏼

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I’ve taken lots of game from a few feet to over 300 yards with the same set and forget scope, it’s not that hard actually.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Have you ever shot at a target from 500 to 1500 yards?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rick,

What does it matter.

That Leupold lost zero on the climb up. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Out to 500 yes prairie dogs and coyotes, hit some miss some but didn’t really matter. I’ve never hunted a game animal I couldn’t get within 300 yards of, and I’ve taken a lot.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
There is no place to shoot that far around here. The majority of gun club ranges in the area are 100 yards. The longest in the County is 200 yards. There is a 300 yard range in the next County. Some people actually like to hunt before they shoot. Others simply don't have anyplace in their AO where they can even see game from 500 yards. There are these things called trees/forests that prevent it.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H

This thread is awesome
It doesn't mean I don't play around with mediun range, 600 yds, and dial for fun. No thousand yard ranges near. My hunting areas don't require long range tactics. I never got the bug, for long range hunting. Now it's more awesome!😎

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Over 20 years

You should post pics of your ribbons/trophy’s and that list of accolades you’ve received. Everyone’s impressed.

Other than he shoots Leupold scopes why the slam on Rick? The Campfire is a "pics or it didn't happen" website. Talk your game without proof, and sooner or later someone is going to jump on your case. He talks LR shooting and backs it up with proof. Looks like if he slammed Leopold, and raved on about the other top end scopes it would all be ok? Ya, that's what it looks like.

Show off your most recent kill, new truck, pics of where you went fishing or hunting. "Yay ,great job!!!!"......Brag on Leupold too much, along with showing proof and giving some [bleep] back in the process, and you go to the colony. laugh

Last edited by battue; 03/10/23.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

OR hone your skills, know your weapon and your cartridge and you are good to go as far as I care to HUNT an animal..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've killed animals from point blank to 1200 yards. I've killed the majority of whitetail with a bow under 40 yards. I have long range hunting rifles, long range target rifles, varmint rifles, and short-range timber hunting rifles. I select the right tool for the job.

If you think there is only one tool; you're probably the tool.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by drop_point

Lots of wisdom in this short statement. Well put.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Again....Just what is or are the various individual definitions of set and forget? Myself, if I'm using the same load then it should be very close for each range session or hunt. Consistently off by a couple inches isn't set and forget.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WMR

In this case there can be one tool...If you can use it proficiently close and far. Isn't that why they make 3x18, 4x16, 5x25, etc, etc.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Might want to stay on track with the OP.

This thread is not about killing game

It’s about using a scope on a rifle to precisely steer bullets as you would use your calipers or tape to precisely measure, to make impacts on whatever you’re shooting at, any distance

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Writing as a refugee from Planet 4MOA, I can tell you that once I learned about Maximum Point Blank Range, its calculation, and its ramifications, I pretty much stopped twiddling scope knobs. Once I get the crosshairs 2 inches above Zero at 100 yards, I'm good to go out beyond 200 yards with most of my deer rifles. Last fall, I made the longest shot at a buck of my life, a whopping 200 yards.

One of the reasons Planet 4MOA evolved the way it did, is because there is no real reason for it not to. If you can go to Walmart and get your new deer rifle zeroed by the counter monkey and go out the next day and shoot a nice buck, who is going to give a rat's patoot about any of this scope falderal. Granted, it was only a 50 yard shot out of a treestand, and with a couple of beers the distance balloons to 150 yards, but a dead deer is a dead deer. Still, 50 yards was as far as a fellow could see in these cedar thickets.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Might want to stay on track with the OP.

This thread is not about killing game

It’s about using a scope on a rifle to precisely steer bullets as you would use your calipers or tape to precisely measure, to make impacts on whatever you’re shooting at, any distance

Then if it's just about punching paper or ringing steel, then we are in agreement...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WMR

In this case there can be one tool...If you can use it proficiently close and far. Isn't that why they make 3x18, 4x16, 5x25, etc, etc.

I wouldn't use a 10-50x target scope on a long range hunting rifle that I intended to make a 50 yard shot with. I wouldn't use a high-recoiling long-range hunting rifle for F-Class.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
One can most always go to the extreme ends to make a point.

I tried to stay within the boundaries of practicality.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Here in MI I bet 80% of the deer are show within 100 yds

My main place I hunt I sit on the edge of a 40 acre field so I typically stretch my shots quite a bit more
but as Skane posted most Midwest hunters cant see past the trees more than 75 yards?
and there typically is limited time better be ready

I think especially first week of deer season here in MI
the deer get chased and aint stupid if they are the are fawns
not really what we are looking for

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One can most always go to the extreme ends to make a point.

I tried to stay within the boundaries of practicality.

None of those examples are extreme. While a tool can be versatile and have some overlap, it doesn't mean one tool is suited for all things and all people.

Last edited by drop_point; 03/10/23.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You win….

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by WMR

Nothing above implies that one tool cannot cover your needs. Just says that there's more than one way to get the job done. Dialing the scope is certainly fine and sometimes seems best. A set mutidot reticle can also do fine for many things. So, there IS more than one tool available. "My way is the only way" is the mantra of the mental midget. I think the OP was just trolling for a response. Guess it worked.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by WMR

Nothing above implies that one tool cannot cover your needs. Just says that there's more than one way to get the job done. Dialing the scope is certainly fine and sometimes seems best. A set mutidot reticle can also do fine for many things. So, there IS more than one tool available. "My way is the only way" is the mantra of the mental midget. I think the OP was just trolling for a response. Guess it worked.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H

Over 20 years

Other than he shoots Leupold scopes why the slam on Rick? The Campfire is a "pics or it didn't happen" website. Talk your game without proof, and sooner or later someone is going to jump on your case. He talks LR shooting and backs it up with proof. Looks like if he slammed Leopold, and raved on about the other top end scopes it would all be ok? Ya, that's what it looks like.

Show off your most recent kill, new truck, pics of where you went fishing or hunting. "Yay ,great job!!!!"......Brag on Leupold too much, along with showing proof and giving some [bleep] back in the process, and you go to the colony. laugh
Your interpretation of the campfire, doesn't equate to mine. Some of us are secure enough in ourselves, we don't feel the need, to brag with pictures, and such. But too each his own.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Over 20 years

Your interpretation of the campfire, doesn't equate to mine. Some of us are secure enough in ourselves, we don't feel the need, to brag with pictures, and such. But too each his own.
That's what it is too. Bragging and searching for internet relevance/acceptance to folks you don't know, never will and wouldn't care to. Pitiful idiots.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Blackheart
That's what it is too. Bragging and searching for internet relevance/acceptance to folks you don't know, never will and wouldn't care to. Pitiful idiots.

Like you've never bragged on this site.

LMAO.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

There are no skilled carpenters that use a ruler to measure their cuts.

There are plenty of skilled deer hunters that kill piles of deer without dialing.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
There are plenty of skilled deer hunters that kill piles of deer without dialing.
One simply doesn't have to dial, when hunting from a manure spreader.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What about "I think it's set & I hope it doesn't forget" scopes?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Leaving aside for the moment, picture posting abilities, and back to 'set and forget'...if a shooter really wanted to forget it, I wonder why the Burris posi-lock didn't sell better? Seemed like a good theory...I was just too cheap to pay another 120 bucks for a set screw.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I believe some people found tightening the set screw moved the zero a bit.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by mathman
^^^Us old Leupold owners were used to burning a lot of ammo before we could "forget".

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's rich coming from you.

🤡🤡🤡

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by goalie

🤡🤡🤡
I don't seek internet relevance, acceptance or fame. It isn't important.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E

This was my experience with the posi-locks…. Twice as much ammo unnecessarily burned as the normal leupold adjust and pray. And in my experience, the glass never compared so there was no upside.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

🤡🤡🤡

You say one thing, but your behavior screams something else.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
]

Found this thing while organizing some stuff. I forgot I finished in the Top 3 that year!

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
]

Found this thing while organizing some stuff. I forgot I finished in the Top 3 that year!

Good shooting to earn that. I still stand by my comment. Battue interperted his vision of the fire. I didn't agree, thats how it goes!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
]

What scope did you use, and how did you dial it from shot to shot?

Also, nobody who takes long shots brag about their screw ups or walks over the 500-700 yards where the animal was standing to check for blood.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by luv2safari
]

What scope did you use, and how did you dial it from shot to shot?

Dang, I knew he was pretty good at shooting clays, but I didn’t know he used a friggin rifle!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

🤡🤡🤡

You say one thing, but your behavior screams something else.
It wasn't me who posted pics of animals or lake houses that weren't mine and claimed they were.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It wasn't me who posted pics of animals or lake houses that weren't mine and claimed they were.

That makes two of us. But, unlike you, I have posted pics.

🤡🤡🤡

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

🤡🤡🤡
And you're a perpetual braggart. Your job, promotion, rich wife, lake house, the big money you make. The list is nearly endless. I don't need to impress you. Apparently you have a need.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

🤡🤡🤡
And you're a perpetual braggart. Your job, promotion, rich wife, lake house, the big money you make. The list is nearly endless. I don't need to impress you. Apparently you have a need.

Oh, but iI was never a famous gunsmith like you. I only know because you felt the need to tell us.

No pics of your work though.

🤡🤡😜

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

🤡🤡🤡

Oh, but iI was never a famous gunsmith like you. I only know because you felt the need to tell us.

No pics of your work though.

🤡🤡😜
Never claimed to be a famous gunsmith. Said my name was mentioned as co builder of a rifle in a magazine article and it was. Not only are you a proven liar but you exaggerate and make shyt up to suit your story of the day. Just two of many reasons I don't care to impress you.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Have to admit that is a good one!!!!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I still stand by my comment. Battue interperted his vision of the fire. I didn't agree, thats how it goes!

Participate as you wish...However, there was little interpertation in how I see the the Fire...It was reality. Daily pics and come hunting season they will increase. New gun pics, target pics, camping pics, truck pics, fishing pics, Dog pics, vacation pics. Long written stories of an adventure. And any who tell about their repeated success will eventually be asked for some proof. Pics are not any different than some saying "I killed this many, I've killed this many with this, killed them with a bow, rifle, handgun.”, whatever. If you want to be truthful, writing up about success is little different than actually showing it..Blackheart for example has bragged on about how many Deer he has killed. Iron sight, scopes, etc, etc. He is no different than the rest of us with a bit of A+ personality. Makes no difference if he writes about it or shows pics. Both are a form of bragging. However, one of them is significantly more convincing.

Last edited by battue; 03/11/23.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I still stand by my comment. Battue interperted his vision of the fire. I didn't agree, thats how it goes!

Participate as you wish...However, there was little interpertation in how I see the the Fire...It was reality. Daily pics and come hunting season they will increase. New gun pics, target pics, camping pics, truck pics, fishing pics, Dog pics, vacation pics. Long written stories of an adventure. And any who tell about their repeated success will eventually be asked for some proof. Pics are not any different than some saying "I killed this many, I've killed this many with this, killed them with a bow, rifle, handgun.”, whatever. If you want to be truthful, writing up about success is little different than actually showing it..Blackheart for example has bragged on about how many Deer he has killed. Iron sight, scopes, etc, etc. He is no different than the rest of us with a bit of A+ personality. Makes no difference if he writes about it or shows pics. Both are a form of bragging. However, one of them is significantly more convincing.

Yeah, I like how posting pics of trophy animals isn’t “bragging”, but posting pics of trophies is

LMFAO

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here I thought this was the “Hunting Optics” forum. I love being able to dial the scope on my 6.5 creedmoor & reach out over 1,000 yards on targets but that isn’t hunting for me.

My range at home is 225 yards but I have an elk vitals sized rock at 500. I don’t own a center fire rifle that can’t consistently hit near the center of the rock with holdover. Will I win a target competition that way? - not hardly. Will I get to eat lots of delicious dead stuff- all day long.

I use a calibrated reticle that is good to 800 but simple holdover is all 90+% of hunters will ever need and is so much faster than dialing its more practical for hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by specneeds
Here I thought this was the “Hunting Optics” forum. I love being able to dial the scope on my 6.5 creedmoor & reach out over 1,000 yards on targets but that isn’t hunting for me.

My range at home is 225 yards but I have an elk vitals sized rock at 500. I don’t own a center fire rifle that can’t consistently hit near the center of the rock with holdover. Will I win a target competition that way? - not hardly. Will I get to eat lots of delicious dead stuff- all day long.

I use a calibrated reticle that is good to 800 but simple holdover is all 90+% of hunters will ever need and is so much faster than dialing its more practical for hunting.

There's more than one way to hunt. Just because I'd have to cut down trees to shoot over 125 yards anywhere on the land I hunt doesn't mean dialing isn't a good options for others hunting elsewhere.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think this whole thing is being presented backwards. The scopes *I* have that are truly “set and forget” are my Nightforce’s, Zeiss V4’s, etc. IE, the extremely mechanically precise, robust, and stable scopes that I dial to hell and back. A Leupold (say) where a guy needs to check sight-in every year before hunting season and make adjustments to get it back on zero is not set and forget! Where’s the “forget”?! It’s set and reset and reset and reset......

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I think this whole thing is being presented backwards. The scopes *I* have that are truly “set and forget” are my Nightforce’s, Zeiss V4’s, etc. IE, the extremely mechanically precise, robust, and stable scopes that I dial to hell and back. A Leupold (say) where a guy needs to check sight-in every year before hunting season and make adjustments to get it back on zero is not set and forget! Where’s the “forget”?! It’s set and reset and reset and reset......
Like daylight saving time. You will always have to readjust your Leupold.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The new long range craze made possible by rangefinders is very technologically interesting & will allow practiced operators the ability to reach way out. That doesn’t change the effects of wind, the stability of rests in the field, or the likelihood of animals moving unexpectedly. Even here on the lunatic fringe most guys won’t shoot many animals past 500 yards.

I know a sniper “instructor” who sets up to shoot bears at 600 yards in steep mountains where recovery is maybe 50% but he gets to brag when he gets one. It’s not my idea of ethical hunting but he wants to be the alpha marksman. Your selection of your tools is your own business- buy a Ferrari to go to the grocery store or a 25x Nightforce to shoot Minnesota Whitetail bucks at 90 yards. But telling me they are necessary is silly.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
^^^now that is signature line material par excellence^^^^

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My scope needs changed a lot when I moved to the south.

Whitetails in the pines are like elk in the timber but I'm no longer sniping prairie dogs, deer, elk or antelope at distance as I once did.

300 yards across a hay field is as far as I'll be shooting any more so a scope with holdover dots has me covered.

I like to dial the 22 LR rifle but simplifying is working fine for me.

A rangefinder is still nice with the 22s or when I'm hunting a buddies property and I don't know the distances to landmarks across his fields.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Most of my experience tells me that the time from seeing the target animal to acquiring a steady sight picture seldom allows time for fiddle-f***ing around dialing scope turrets.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Even at the typical ranges where a guy would be dialing?

Seems like when I see game 600-800 yards away it usually either isn’t aware of me at all or doesn’t care.

Keep in mind even a guy inclined and equipped to dial can be walking around with their rifle set to MPBZ.... for example it’s as simple as dialing 6 clicks to be 1.5” high at 100 as just a standard, walkaround, “zero”. Does that make sense? So my scope is zero’d at 100 yards; if the dial is at zero, then bullet impacts are dead on at 100. But if I want to have the advantages of max point blank zero I can just click it up 6 clicks and be “zeroed” 1.5” high at 100. But my drop chart is still correct... because my scopes zero point is still the same (100 yards).

Sorry if I’m being annoying, I’ve tried to explain this in years past and failed so I’m trying to say it multiple ways here. In the context of this thread, when you trust your scope it ain’t no thang to dial it around like that. Whereas the set and forget guys get real spooky about it... “don’t touch that dial!”, haha.

I found a target out on my loading bench the other day from when I first got my NF SHV and built my 6.5 SAUM. I did a test with it where I zeroed at 100, fired a single shot, dialed it like crazy, then back to zero, fired a single shot, repeat 5 times. So, the group is at the bullseye at 100 yards, but each shot has a ton of dialing between it and the previous shot. The 5-shot group is around .7”. That’s the kind of mechanical precision/repeatability us “dialers” are talking about.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

Seems like when I see game 600-800 yards away it usually either isn’t aware of me at all or doesn’t care.

Keep in mind even a guy inclined and equipped to dial can be walking around with their rifle set to MPBZ.... for example it’s as simple as dialing 6 clicks to be 1.5” high at 100 as just a standard, walkaround, “zero”. Does that make sense? So my scope is zero’d at 100 yards; if the dial is at zero, then bullet impacts are dead on at 100. But if I want to have the advantages of max point blank zero I can just click it up 6 clicks and be “zeroed” 1.5” high at 100. But my drop chart is still correct... because my scopes zero point is still the same (100 yards).

Sorry if I’m being annoying, I’ve tried to explain this in years past and failed so I’m trying to say it multiple ways here. In the context of this thread, when you trust your scope it ain’t no thang to dial it around like that. Whereas the set and forget guys get real spooky about it... “don’t touch that dial!”, haha.

I found a target out on my loading bench the other day from when I first got my NF SHV and built my 6.5 SAUM. I did a test with it where I zeroed at 100, fired a single shot, dialed it like crazy, then back to zero, fired a single shot, repeat 5 times. So, the group is at the bullseye at 100 yards, but each shot has a ton of dialing between it and the previous shot. The 5-shot group is around .7”. That’s the kind of mechanical precision/repeatability us “dialers” are talking about.

That’s wonderful. But I don’t need it and you can keep the extra weight, complexity, and bulkiness associated with those scopes. It just isn’t something that is useful for my hunting.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
That’s wonderful. But I don’t need it and you can keep the extra weight, complexity, and bulkiness associated with those scopes. It just isn’t something that is useful for my hunting.

Exactly. If someone enjoys trying to knock some paint off a metal gong at 1000 yards then great. If that puts lead in your pencil and keeps you excited about life then more power to you. But I have never had any interest in it. It holds no appeal to me whatsoever. I primarily use my scoped rifles for hunting and the longest shot I have had to take on a game animal in the last 25 years is about 225 yards. So I don't need one of these Hubble sized monstrosities with dialing knobs the size of an Aztec burial mound for my hunting purposes either.

So it gets pretty old reading these posts by elitist douche bags who act like anyone not using the same type scope they are and for the same purposes is some kind of know nothing goober. No, I just have no use for a long range dialing scope. How hard is that to comprehend?

When it comes to purchasing a truck I could buy a dump truck if I needed one. But I don't so I just stick with a regular pickup truck.

Finally, I always recheck the zero on my hunting rigs prior to season because it's just the responsible thing to do. But I have never had any problem with any of them staying zeroed from season to season.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Willto

Exactly. If someone enjoys trying to knock some paint off a metal gong at 1000 yards then great. If that puts lead in your pencil and keeps you excited about life then more power to you. But I have never had any interest in it. It holds no appeal to me whatsoever. I primarily use my scoped rifles for hunting and the longest shot I have had to take on a game animal in the last 25 years is about 225 yards. So I don't need one of these Hubble sized monstrosities with dialing knobs the size of an Aztec burial mound for my hunting purposes either.

So it gets pretty old reading these posts by elitist douche bags who act like anyone not using the same type scope they are and for the same purposes is some kind of know nothing goober. No, I just have no use for a long range dialing scope. How hard is that to comprehend?

When it comes to purchasing a truck I could buy a dump truck if I needed one. But I don't so I just stick with a regular pickup truck.

Finally, I always recheck the zero on my hunting rigs prior to season because it's just the responsible thing to do. But I have never had any problem with any of them staying zeroed from season to season.
Well said !!!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
]

But apparently not secure enough to respond when you ass has been handed to you:

Originally Posted by jorgeI
[quote=jorgeI]It's even worse. Approximately 75% of the military age population (18-24 is considered to be the "first round')is either too fat, too stupid or are on some kind of medication that disqualifies them. Now hold that thought.

Enter the chinese planned, financed and executed (via the cartels) fentanyl invasion into the US. Approximately 80-100K PER YEAR deaths as a results and the age bracket? 18-45. Guess what age group is considered for military service? If you don't think they are being targeted, you must be pro-Ukraine war (aka a moron).

That said, I'm not concerned with the Russians AT ALL. Now the chinese is an entirely different issue.
I'm guessing you pulled the 75% number, from between your cheeks!

I reckon my gluteal cleft has at least 50 IQ points over your pointy head.. HINT: the blue outlined words below are links to articles you might find interesting (sorry limited pictures)

recruits

my ass
heymthe retard
doesyourbuttholehurtyet?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I hit the range I am continually adjusting up and down, with both the front and rear sights- but then, I rarely shoot at targets wit a scope! :>)
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I don't dial because I have.Leupolds on my Big Game rifles. They don't adjust as advertised so I wouldn't count on them to dial. I just aim high on the deer if they are too far to hold dead on. I have been successfup doing Kentucky windage. I did swap one Leupold out this year for a.Trijicon. anxious to see how it does.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I did the same thing. I'm real happy with my Trijicon Credo.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Humility is one of the finest qualities a man can possess.

Scorn for others is rarely seen by most as a positive quality.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

A lot of these guys don't get that or don't want to get that Jeff. They even get pissy when you show them a good reasonably priced scope and hunting rifle that will work much better than most Leupolds, but cost far less. They just don't want to hear it.

Set your zero, so it's actually "zeroed":

Then test it at range, using the ballistic plex reticle:

That is the kind of "set and forget" I like in a hunting rifle. Kentucky windage was cool when I was a kid, but they have good reticles these days that take the guess work out of it. You just have to confirm them by using them and setting them up properly.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Good illustration of what a ballistic plex reticle is capable of! I’ve used a VX Leupold of one kind or another so equipped since they came out years ago, and in spite of having several very reliable “dialing” type scopes I find this type reticle much faster and easier to use while hunting. Easy enough to use a bit of hold over or under for the in between ranges.

Last edited by John55; 03/15/23.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hunters who sight in at 200+ & have familiar, practiced ballistic reticles have the ability to make instantaneous longer range shots. Are they always required on animals at 400+ yards? Not really. The last elk I tried to find antlers on at 490 yards didn’t know I was there - she was huge & looked delicious but my cow tag wasn’t good on that side of the highway. The cows before that gave me much less time.

I use a flat shooting 300 Weatherby sighted in at 225 yards. This puts my hash marks on perfectly out to 800 yards on the Conquest 3-15x50 at 15 power. But for everything under 350 yards that is a simple point & shoot.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
754 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 75 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.