Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Elvis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G'Day,

I've purchased a Loop 8'6 #2 fly rod with Sage Click reel (0/1/2 size). Anybody fish this light for trout? What size trout will this handle comfortably? I intend to use it on small streams but we are heading away for a weeks fishing where we are fishing for large trout (brown and rainbow) moving up out of the dams. These trout can be up to seven or eight pounds. Will the #2 weight handle fish of this size or will they be hard to handle? I intend to release all fish and I'm thinking the fish may take too long to subdue and tire too much to be released. I have #4, #5 and #7 weight rods that I can use but you know when you get something new. The Click reel doesn't have a strong drag and would be hard to pull up a large trout in a strong river flow.

What do you think? Would you try it?

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I’m sure you can bring them in. But for bigger trout that I would want to release I don’t think I would go that light. You will have to play with them to get them in. Give it a shot if it doesn’t work step up to your 5 or 7. Definitely don’t want to muscle them in on that light gear.

Elvis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for advice. It sounds like fun but maybe I'll keep it for the smaller streams.

Elvis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Solitario_Lupo
I’m sure you can bring them in. But for bigger trout that I would want to release I don’t think I would go that light. You will have to play with them to get them in. Give it a shot if it doesn’t work step up to your 5 or 7. Definitely don’t want to muscle them in on that light gear.

Good advice. I christened the rod yesterday with a rainbow about 1.5lbs. He put up a merry fight on the little rod so I wouldn't want to hook something in the four pounds and up weight if they were going to be released.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Elvis
Thanks for advice. It sounds like fun but maybe I'll keep it for the smaller streams.

I’ve got a little Sage 2 weight combo I use for the tiny native brook trout in small Colorado mountain streams & also for small bluegills and crappies in stock ponds at the Ranch. Wouldn’t want to use it on any thing bigger than about a 12” or 13” rainbow or brownie.

For Trout the size your talking about, it’s hard to beat a good 5 weight Fly Rod. Although I sometime take my 4 weight Sage just for fun. Good luck!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Elvis
Originally Posted by Solitario_Lupo

Good advice. I christened the rod yesterday with a rainbow about 1.5lbs. He put up a merry fight on the little rod so I wouldn't want to hook something in the four pounds and up weight if they were going to be released.

The only time you can probably get away with them big is if they are just stocked.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A bit light for 2+ pounds. One would have to fight them from the reel.

1Minute

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,607 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,155
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.