-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Is True Blue position sensitive? How about Power Pistol?

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
this is what tightgroup was formulated for small charges and large cases. like Colt 45... don't know about the others don't know which ones are more of a potential problem either I just remember learning this.

Last edited by ldholton; 03/09/23.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Curious here, but since when has powder position been an issue in relatively small pistol cases? Granted, .45 Colt is voluminous compared to, say, .38 Spl or .45 ACP, but even as such it's not particularly cavernous in volume. Not being facetious, I just never considered such a thing as a "thing".

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Curious here, but since when has powder position been an issue in relatively small pistol cases? Granted, .45 Colt is voluminous compared to, say, .38 Spl or .45 ACP, but even as such it's not particularly cavernous in volume. Not being facetious, I just never considered such a thing as a "thing".
Ask a bullseye sport shooter.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Just pick up some 'Titegroup'

Designed for large cases & small charges

Not position sensitive

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Give me Sport pistol over tightgroup all day everyday……

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Give me Sport pistol over tightgroup all day everyday……
Why is that?

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Tightgroup burns way hotter than SP and I prefer the case fill I get with Sp and I load on a XL650 and its easier for me to watch my powder level as Im loading,

Sp was also designed for coated bullets as it’s a cooler burning propellant!
And Blue bullets is 90% of what i shoot!

Accuracy is about the same for the most part!

Last edited by Ackleyfan; 03/09/23.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The 327 Federal is definitely a case that gets help with position insensitive powders and case filling powders.

Brian Pearce did an article on this very real condition with certain cases and powders.

CFE Pistol is another developed with position insensitivity.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I love me some CFE Pistol. That stuff has shot great in everything I've tried it in. It's also the best thing I've found for squeezing velocity out of standard pressure 45 Colt, too.

BE86 has also worked very well for me in a few cartridges. Kind of surprising, given the burn rate, but it has actually given me better velocites in my 327 Fed than some slower powders like 2400. Haven't really wrapped my head around that one, but I'll take it. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited by zcm82; 03/10/23. Reason: clarity
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by HawkI
The 327 Federal is definitely a case that gets help with position insensitive powders and case filling powders.

Brian Pearce did an article on this very real condition with certain cases and powders.

CFE Pistol is another developed with position insensitivity.
Thanks. I have about four pounds of CFE, but have not got into it yet. I loooove me some Titegroup for my many reduced
power loads in magnum cases.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
True Blue does not seem to be position sensitive. I've used it in the .38 Spl, .357, .44 Spl and .45 Colt where it really shines for mid-level loads in the 950 - 1050 fps area. It can leave some unburned powder at lower charge levels and doesn't do its best there, but bump it up just a little bit and it will shine.

Haven't seen it mentioned yet but Winchester 231 has shown sensitivity to position in a few different cases.

I did some experiments on this back in the 90's with the .357 and .44 Magnums, trying to find reduced loads using the original magnum cases. .231 always showed good accuracy but I had to raise the barrel before each shot - move the powder to the back of the case - to get the most accuracy and lowest extreme spreads in velocity.

You'd think that as long as the starting position of the powder was consistent from shot to shot - i.e. if you always pointed the barrel down to get it all at the front - that you'd still get consistent results but that wasn't really the case (no pun intended). The differences in accuracy and velocity weren't huge and given that those were lighter target loads meant to be used at appropriately shorter ranges not enough to worry about, but the differences were there.

Still use 231 a lot in the .38 Special since it still gives some of the best accuracy for me across multiple revolvers - and mostly because I still have a bit over 4 pounds of it which will last well over 7,000 loads... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, Jim. I'm going to do some experimenting with TB in .38 spl with position and the chrono this summer. I believe you helped me when I first started using True Blue, and your advice was spot on regarding good loads.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by zcm82
I love me some CFE Pistol. That stuff has shot great in everything I've tried it in. It's also the best thing I've found for squeezing velocity out of standard pressure 45 Colt, too.

BE86 has also worked very well for me in a few cartridges. Kind of surprising, given the burn rate, but it has actually given me better velocites in my 327 Fed than some slower powders like 2400. Haven't really wrapped my head around that one, but I'll take it. 🤷‍♂️

The BE 86 Seems to be a rather *Unique* powder. I bought some for some 10mm loads, and it did quite well, but not as consistent as Longshot. I do believe that I have read that BE 86 is possibly a newer version of the UNIQUE powder, being less sensitive to position as Unique. I do know that the burn rate is different though, so not a swap grain for grain by any means. I do plan to try it in .45 Colt, and your post reminds me of that.

Chris

Living in a Blue Healers home with me and my wife as pets.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Be86 seems like a flash suppressed power pistol to me. I used to use a lot of power pistol but the downside was always flash.

I wonder if win 244 is position sensitive. I was working up some loads last fall and tried some win 244. It seemed pretty close in performance to titegroup. Similar speed with the same charge weights and similar max charges. I ended up going with titegroup but the load I went with is a little too hot pressure wise. I'm going to have to try a bit slower powder to get that speed with less pressure.

Bb

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by 351WSL
Originally Posted by zcm82

The BE 86 Seems to be a rather *Unique* powder. I bought some for some 10mm loads, and it did quite well, but not as consistent as Longshot. I do believe that I have read that BE 86 is possibly a newer version of the UNIQUE powder, being less sensitive to position as Unique. I do know that the burn rate is different though, so not a swap grain for grain by any means. I do plan to try it in .45 Colt, and your post reminds me of that.

Chris

FWIW BE86 stands for BullsEye 1986, designed around the 9mm. It was a non-canister grade powder like so many canister powders that became a canister version.

As good as Unique is in handguns, it is/was still a flake shotshell powder.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Be86 seems like a flash suppressed power pistol to me. I used to use a lot of power pistol but the downside was always flash.

I wonder if win 244 is position sensitive. I was working up some loads last fall and tried some win 244. It seemed pretty close in performance to titegroup. Similar speed with the same charge weights and similar max charges. I ended up going with titegroup but the load I went with is a little too hot pressure wise. I'm going to have to try a bit slower powder to get that speed with less pressure.

Bb

Agree on that... BE looks a lot like PP. Seems to be just a touch slower burning, when comparing charge wt and velocites in the same cartridges.

I've messed with 244 Win in 45 Colt a bit. Those have a lot of dead air in the cases and they stayed pretty consistent. CFE was just a bit more accurate with a bit better velocity through the gun. 244W is definitely a viable backup for me in the unlikely event that I ever run out of CFEP, though.

Actually have quite a bit of 244 I should find some use for one of these days 🤔 Maybe 38SPL if CFE doesn't work out. It's just one of those powders where it has shot pretty well for me, but something else always shot a bit better in everything I tried it in, so I've just ended up sitting on it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Might look up Ken Oehler's story of amusing himself with a load that was supersonic with powder back and subsonic with powder forward - such things as saying a student had cold hands that hurt performance. Bottom line is the SAAMI twist helps even in handguns.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugeman, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 46 invisible), 3,299 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,292
Posts18,467,960
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.