Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Jeffpg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm a safety manager for a turnaround group and we have a work project that will run all of April and half of May this year, so I volunteered to go. I am blessed to have traveled a good chunk of the planet but I have never been to Alaska. I know there's a lot of experience here so I'm seeking advise on how to make the most of my time there. While the project is running, I'll put in 13 hours a day, 7 days a week, so there will be no playtime to speak of. Once the job ends however, my time is mine to do as I wish for pretty much as long as I want.

For starters, I am thinking that my best bet is to fly into Anchorage and rent my vehicle that I will use for the duration of my time there and then drive into Kenai. I will need lodging for 2 in Kenai for a month and a half, as my fiancé will accompany me on the trip. Any suggestions in this area are welcome.

I am told that the fishing and sightseeing on the Kenai peninsula are outstanding. I'm looking forward to this trip, which I feel will likely lead to another. I'd love to make a hunt there.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Jeff

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your timing is perfect for a spring black bear hunt. Get with Ironbender as soon as possible... he always has beer...

eulachon (hooligan) will be running. Always good for a laugh and one meal a year. Kenai is far less muddy than dipping them in 20 Mile.

Reliably, on May 10 the birches will have leaf buds. Some years they have them a week earlier. Makes a difference because leaves will make it a lot harder to spot bears. All tags are OTC at the last minute.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was there a couple years ago, you'll enjoy the drive from Anchorage, good hiking near Skilak lake. I think there's only black bears on the peninsula but the locals can confirm that, still, I always carried a sidearm when hiking.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pizza & Beer at St. Elias (Soldotna) is always a must IMO. Lots of neat places over in Kenai to see-----Like the old Russian Orthodox church & having lunch up on the bluff over looking the Kenai River. Not to mention watching all the dip netters in July for the "reds"

Last edited by colorado bob; 03/10/23.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I think there's only black bears on the peninsula but the locals can confirm that, still, I always carried a sidearm when hiking.

Only little, tiny Black Bears (they crave being petted) No Alaska Coastal Brown Bears. Those things that resemble Grizzly Bears are actually Ground Hogs, and they are cute, and like to be petted also.

Just KIDDING.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've only been to Alaska 3 times, and the last time was over about 15 years ago, so my experience is limited and somewhat dated but I can tell you there are Grizzly or coastal or whatever you want to call them bears on the peninsula. I saw a kill site near Clam Gulch just off the Sterling Highway that looked like the moose was blown up with a grenade. I also was warned by a local another time about one in the area when I was hiking in the pre dawn darkness to a fishing hole to catch the rising tide for Kings. The locals will call each other when one is spotted in the area to give warnings. Met a guy that scared one off that was going for one of his pigs, so yeah they are there. You also have to respect the cow moose that are about to drop calves too. They can be mean biatches if you corner one and don't give them a respectful amount of room.

I spent most of my time between Soldatna and Homer with side trips to Seward up around Turnagain Arm and one time all the way north past Anchorage up to Denali. I've never gone that early in the season so I can't comment on first hand fishing opportunities but I would guess that Halibut fishing would be good just about anytime. Kings come in a little later if I remember correctly.

I'm sure others can give you better information, especially someone local. If you can bring a firearm, you should.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Must be The old Tesoro refinery as “Colliers” (lol) is no longer operating.

Send a PM.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Your timing is perfect for a spring black bear hunt. Get with Ironbender as soon as possible... he always has beer...

eulachon (hooligan) will be running. Always good for a laugh and one meal a year. Kenai is far less muddy than dipping them in 20 Mile.

Reliably, on May 10 the birches will have leaf buds. Some years they have them a week earlier. Makes a difference because leaves will make it a lot harder to spot bears. All tags are OTC at the last minute.
Sonuva…

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I was there a couple years ago, you'll enjoy the drive from Anchorage, good hiking near Skilak lake. I think there's only black bears on the peninsula but the locals can confirm that, still, I always carried a sidearm when hiking.
Negative, Bob. We have both.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Pizza & Beer at St. Elias (Soldotna) is always a must IMO. Lots of neat places over in Kenai to see-----Like the old Russian Orthodox church & having lunch up on the bluff over looking the Kenai River. Not to mention watching all the dip netters in July for the "reds"
St. Elias always seems to be busy in the summer. I don’t understand it. Their pizza isn’t too bad, but the rest of the food left me unimpressed. Their beer is second tier, IMO.

FAR BETTER, is Kenai River Brewing (KRB) just a quarter mile from there. Very good beer and food.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ironbender, good to know, thanks!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I remember a bakery on the main highway near Soldotna, old school, like homemade, cant' remember the name but it was outstanding.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember a bakery on the main highway near Soldotna, old school, like homemade, cant' remember the name but it was outstanding.

Moose is loose. Unfortunately the original owners sold out and it's nowhere near the same quality. I'm not even sure it's still open.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The bakery is gone and the building has recently been taken over by what looks to be a construction company.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by colorado bob
St. Elias always seems to be busy in the summer. I don’t understand it. Their pizza isn’t too bad, but the rest of the food left me unimpressed. Their beer is second tier, IMO.

FAR BETTER, is Kenai River Brewing (KRB) just a quarter mile from there. Very good beer and food.

Second what Ironbender said. And if you get to wanting a good burger or fish sandwich in Kenai you got to try the Burger Bus. Just be prepared to wait in line as they are busy in the summer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I remember a place called Jersey Subs, both the shops and the bus out on the turnoff on Sterling. Was excellent hoagies and cheesesteaks run by a guy named Chris. He was pretty cool, his girlfriend was a bug eyed banshee though.

Had my halibut processed at Tanners, Salmon smoked at Tustumena Smoke House and used Irish Lord Charters owned by a guy named "Big Bill" I think. That's all I can remember.

Anybody know if any of these are still around?

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Jersey subs is still around and making good food. I think Tustumena Smoke House is still going but I am not sure about the others.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
You wont be alone on the Kenai P in the summer!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not much chance for salmon in April and May in the Kenai. You could run into some decent rainbow fishing and some Dolly Vardens. A early charter off Deep Creek is possible for halibut.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Not much chance for salmon in April and May in the Kenai. You could run into some decent rainbow fishing and some Dolly Vardens. A early charter off Deep Creek is possible for halibut.
Not a problem as he is working April and May. Then doing his thing as long as he wants after that. Won't have any spare time in April and at least half of May.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

186 members (338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 007FJ, 18 invisible), 1,540 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,584
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.