Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by windridge
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Winchester 101 Grand European?

Nothing from Russia. The IZH-94 that I had was heavy junk.

Simpson, LTD, in Galesburg, IL, imports firearms from Europe by the container load and regularly advertises combination guns and drillings.

I have one that was marketed by Remington many years ago as the SPR-94.
Is nothing more than a Baikal IZH-94 223/12ga. it actually shoots quite well, it is a bit heavy but the big down side is the 10# triggers. and I cant find a gunsmith that wants to touch the triggers.

Picked up a Baikal IZH-94 308/12ga a couple years ago for a good deal.............WOW what a POS. at 40yds the rifle and shotgun were 5 feet apart in point of impact, unloaded it as fast as possible !!!!!!

They were easy to regulate. I had a 12/7X57R years ago I regulated to throw a Brenneke slug within 3" of where the rifle grouped at 70 yards

The IZH-94 that I had in 12 over 6.5x55 wouldn'shoot worth a damn. The guy who bought it from me knew that he could make it shoot, but he was wrong. He was so frustrated by it that he bought a second one that he found to be equally inaccurate.

With real trigger discipline I could get the 7X57R to shoot 5 in an inch at 100 yards with my reloads. I had one in 30-06 for a short time that would shoot 1 1/2-2 inch groups with factory ammo. Someone wanted it more than I did, so it went away before I sorted it out. A friend also had a 7X57R that shot very well.

FWIW I had a Rem Classic 35 Whelen that couldn't keep them in a washtub at 100 yards no matter what I tried, so there are clunkers made from time to time.

The two real faults of the IZH-94 were Awful triggers and weight.

Last edited by windridge; 12/15/21.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by erich
Seriously on a combo gun two triggers are the way to go, you never have to deal with a barrel selector, with two triggers you always have the weapon ready whether you want to use the rifle or shotgun. I can't see any situation where a single trigger would be better than two, please enlighten me.

I am with you on this fact. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I suggest you think about how you will use this gun. I use mine for deer hunting, and for small game hunting. When we have concurrent turkey and deer seasons, it is my companion when I am in areas where I can use rifles, i'm set with shot and rifle. In deer only, buckshot and rifle. I rarely carry it for predators. So I need a perfect fit of the stock for bird hunting. It also needs to be lightweight and swing smoothly. For my predator and big game hunting perfect fit is less important. So give thought to how you hunt and what you hunt.
Where I live now centerfire rifles are not legal for hunting deer or bears, so my Savage 24 gets more field time.
As to triggers, choose what you prefer. I've used single and double trigger guns for more than 60 years. I don't like double triggers. I don't think I have ever shot both barrels in succession with my combinations, as I do with double rifles or double shotguns. For me rifle shooting is precision work, shotgunning is instinctive. For me I am carrying two singleshots.
I've sorted out that for me fit is more important than caliber.
Just my thoughts on what has worked for me. Others here have very different experiences and other perspectives.
Good luck on your search.
Bfly

Last edited by Blackfly1; 12/17/21.

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Picked up a Baikal IZH-94 308/12ga a couple years ago for a good deal.............WOW what a POS. at 40yds the rifle and shotgun were 5 feet apart in point of impact, unloaded it as fast as possible !!!!!!

Don't know why you did that===> Would have made a Great Boat Anchor!

Couldn't Resist,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you want a practical gun, Blaser is the clear winner. They manage to have fantastic triggers, even with the dual lock models - no set trigger required. The only problem is that they're not exactly the prettiest guns around and the shroud between the barrels is rubber, not metal. The Merkels I personally don't like as the triggers are quite close together and access to the rear trigger isn't all that great, the K5 is a fantastic single shot, though and better than the K95 imo. Heym's 26 is the more traditional option having silver soldered barrels, but sporting a single trigger, with Heym you know that you are getting all the gun your money can buy. 25% of the price of a Blaser goes into their marketing campaigns. The Heym single trigger has also been getting better in the past few years. If you want soul, get something old, preferrably Merkel, but know that scope mounting, barrel regulation and climbing shots can be a real pain and might have you spend twice of what you first intended.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Boomer454
If you want a practical gun, Blaser is the clear winner. They manage to have fantastic triggers, even with the dual lock models - no set trigger required. The only problem is that they're not exactly the prettiest guns around and the shroud between the barrels is rubber, not metal. The Merkels I personally don't like as the triggers are quite close together and access to the rear trigger isn't all that great, the K5 is a fantastic single shot, though and better than the K95 imo. Heym's 26 is the more traditional option having silver soldered barrels, but sporting a single trigger, with Heym you know that you are getting all the gun your money can buy. 25% of the price of a Blaser goes into their marketing campaigns. The Heym single trigger has also been getting better in the past few years. If you want soul, get something old, preferrably Merkel, but know that scope mounting, barrel regulation and climbing shots can be a real pain and might have you spend twice of what you first intended.

Simsons are Merkels for 1/2 the price on the used market.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
i have a savage model 24D in 22mag/ 20 gauge . it has served me well for over 50 years .... harvested a lot of game including a huge gould's and several merriam turkey. coyotes and fox, ducks. quail..... the reason i want a combo is bear season is open in spring along with turkey ,. there are some big ones in the units i hunt.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Seriously on a combo gun two triggers are the way to go, you never have to deal with a barrel selector, with two triggers you always have the weapon ready whether you want to use the rifle or shotgun. I can't see any situation where a single trigger would be better than two, please enlighten me.

It would be 2 Oz lighter than a double trigger.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I have a Savage 24V wood stock in .223 over 20 gauge also, I use it for coyote hunting in PA, so far 2 down both with the 20 gauge believe it or not.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Savage made a few 12ga 24V guns just before going to the "F" series. The 12ga 24V is a rare gun, but they were made."

I bought my gun new and the paperwork says V. I save all such records and still have the paperwork.

About one or two triggers?
All my sxs double shotguns have 2 triggers. Same for double rifles.
However, for the application of the 24V, the selection of barrels has never been a problem. After some use, it becomes automatic and rarely needs to be hurried. This may boil down to personal choice and that is how it should be.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
IC B3

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y

That’s true about the market prices being way down on drillings. Now s the time to buy not sell drillings.

D
D
Originally Posted by roninflag
i would like a 30-06 or 7x65R for the rifle. or equivalent.

Years ago I purchased a Sauer and Sohn model 3000. It was chambered for 30-06 and 12 ga. I had claw mounts and a Schmidt Bender 6x put on just for the hellofit. I hunted the Ozark Mountains with it for years. I took the biggest buck I've ever taken with it. Like an idiot I fooled around and sold it.

Just recently I found another one. It wasn't in the same "unused" condition of my first one but the boys and girls at New England Guns put it to rights and mounted another model of Schmidt Bender scope on it. I'm looking to retire at the end of this school year and pretty much spend all my free time back in the wood with this. I can't wait.

You'll find you're entering a rarified area of firearms hunting. It's spendy and not for everyone. I've found, as I've aged, I need fewer firearms than I ever had and yet,I still have all that I need.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The modern Finn Classic is a nice set up with multiple options for chambering and spare barrels, it would be pretty easy to put together a heavy O/U 9.3x74R double rifle, 12ga/30/06 combo and a 12ga O/U travel set.

There are any number combo guns available, I have ones set up for coyote hunting BRNO12ga/22 HP-12ga/12ga and a Bernardelli12ga/5.6x50R Mag.

The search is almost as much fun as shooting one.

A starting place.
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...drilling-combination-guns.c290_p1_o6.cfm
how do you like the Brno 12ga/22hp, have the exact one I imagine, have not shot. now I am looking for 20ga/25/35 or 6.5x55 with the 20

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like it a lot. It is a great travel rig, I've acquired a set of shotgun barrels for it also so I'm set to shoot birds, skeet, SC, hunt predators (55gr .228 soft points) and deer (70gr soft points)
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by erich; 03/05/23.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The modern Finn Classic is a nice set up with multiple options for chambering and spare barrels, it would be pretty easy to put together a heavy O/U 9.3x74R double rifle, 12ga/30/06 combo and a 12ga O/U travel set.

There are any number combo guns available, I have ones set up for coyote hunting BRNO12ga/22 HP-12ga/12ga and a Bernardelli12ga/5.6x50R Mag.

The search is almost as much fun as shooting one.

A starting place.
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...drilling-combination-guns.c290_p1_o6.cfm
I have the brno 12ga/22hp, need a gun bearer to haul it around, I bought it for the 22hp

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I purchased a valmet 612st. Awesome wood. it is chambered in 30-06/12 ga, i hunted bear with it in november . foot of snow and single digits. i have a spring turkey tag. the 30-06 shoots better grouos than my Remington 700 long range.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are these the ones with the carbon fiber barrels? I hear those are much lighter than the 412/512 guns. Their weight was my big complaint.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If anyone is looking for a combination gun, there is a Zoli 12 over 223 at the Cabela's Gun Library in LaVista, NE. It looked to be in at least a mid-90% condition. IIRC the asking price is around $1,200.

402-861-4800

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 740 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.