Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Obi_Wan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Anyone carry one of these regularly? I’ve got a few that I carry quite a bit. Keep one in my truck, one in my Kayak. Great little EDC.

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Have one I've carried all over the country for years. I wish it was slightly larger, but they are handy little knives.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

yup!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have carried one of those for over 20 years. I use that same pocket sheath, as well as a dandy Kydex neck sheath. For an inexpensive EDC knife, it's darn hard to beat.

Sam......

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by geedubya

yup!

GWB
Looks like a paring knife. Are the blades as thin and flexible as a paring knife ?

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have carried one of those for over 20 years. I use that same pocket sheath, as well as a dandy Kydex neck sheath. For an inexpensive EDC knife, it's darn hard to beat.
It would appear the Cold Steel mini Pendleton hunter is a better deal {AUS10 vs 8cr13mov steel} and would serve the same purposes. Not to mention the Cold Steel is made in Taiwan vs China for the AG Russel.

Obi_Wan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Do you carry it in your backpocket with the pocket sheath?

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by geedubya

yup!

GWB
Looks like a paring knife. Are the blades as thin and flexible as a paring knife ?

Blades are thin but not overly flexible due to length.

Here is a review from Bladeforums......

This review is about four years in the making for various reasons. I wanted to have a lot of experience with the knife before I gave it a review mostly. Then I accumulated a nice collection (six in all) of the knives, and I wanted to test them all, you know, just in case there were any machining or other differences. I was going to write the review last year, but I decided not to because I figured "hey, it's a simple and inexpensive knife that a lot of people here already have; like reviewing a Buck 110". Well, the review actually got its turn. This is the A. G. Russell Woodswalker, and it's advertised as a knife intended for the casual hunter out for a morning walk in the woods. It excels at that, yes, but it's also a great EDC fixed blade. Cost is $20 with a leather sheath, $25 with a Kydex sheath, or $10 with no sheath. It's made in Japan. The version I'm reviewing now comes with the leather sheath. Weight is a super-light 1.2 ounce. As normal, all measurements are done from my ruler and not a website description.

and a comment.......

Handle Details: The Woodswalker has a fully exposed tang; it's just a blade with handle slabs riveted on. Very much-preferred by myself and other outdoor people. The handle slabs are made of dark, almost black epoxy-impregnated wood. At least that's what they look and feel like; the website doesn't say. They're quite comfortable and rounded for ease of use, and are triple-riveted with stainless steel rivets. The handle is 3-10/16" long and 7/16" thick with a flared butt. There's no lanyard hole, but it would be easy enough to drill one if you want one. In my size XL hands, it's just barely a four-finger knife. The Woodswalker is very comfortable in use, and is one of those melts-in-your-hand knives. I've gotten everything from water to mud to molasses to blood on mine, and it all just wipes off with a little bit of rubbing alcohol with no ill effects. Everything is well-done and professional; the slabs are even and don't protrude from the blade (and the blade doesn't overlap the handles) and the rivets are flush. No rough spots and everything is sanded and rounded. That's why it "melts" into your hand. Way to go, Mr. Russell :thumbup:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/a-g-russell-woodswalker.652684/

Originally Posted by Blackheart
It would appear the Cold Steel mini Pendleton hunter is a better deal {AUS10 vs 8cr13mov steel} and would serve the same purposes. Not to mention the Cold Steel is made in Taiwan vs China for the AG Russel.

I've owned the Pendleton Lite Hunter, Roach Belly and Belt knife. They are what they are, utilitarian, inexpensive plastic handled knives, that work. IIRC I paid about $20 to $30 for the ones I owned. I keep the Belt knife in the passenger side door for a spare if I need it.

Come in a ballistic nylon sheath.

Both knives definitely could serve the same purpose (to be used as a knife). Whether one is better than the other may or may not be a factor.

Some twenty-five years ago when I got my WoodsWalker, they were Jap made not Chinese. (yeah I know they were our enemy in WWII). Thank the US gov't/politicians for China's role in the world today.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/07/23.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks for the review geedubya !

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've carried and used a Woodswalker for many years. It is a handy knife for many common tasks. I have both the kydex and the leather back pocket sheath. I prefer the leather sheath. Mine usually rides in my haversack or daypack.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (204guy, 222Sako, 257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,116
Posts18,464,530
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.