Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by greydog
I have seen a number of five groove barrels in which the throat is defective, due to reamer deflection. In these barrels, there is evidence that the reamer has cut in the grooves but has not fully removed the lands. This is the result of one cutting edge of the reamer being unsupported by the others. The reamer essentially bounces back and forth as it cuts. This phenomena is made worse if the reamer is a bit dull. As I said earlier, this is most common when the throat is cut separately but it does happen with reamers which have an integral throater as well. The deflection is not huge, and to the naked eye, the throat appears normal. The amount of deflection is probably on the order of .001" or slightly less but it is still enough to leave enough land to contact the bullet. If one has the ability, it is possible to detect the deflection in the neck as well. In a throat which has this defect, the functional diameter of the throat will be somewhere near nominal bullet diameter or just a little less.
Is it correctable? Yes, it is. The use of a spiral fluted throater, or a five fluted throater, will allow one to remove the remaining tops of the lands. The throat will still be a little weird because the grooves will but radiused differently than they should be, but the throat will work out OK.
I have to emphasize, with the right tooling, the right set up, and the right technique, this will not happen. It is my opinion though, Ruger has an issue in one or more of these areas; at least in this chambering. GD

I still haven’t called Ruger about my rifle but I reread your post a couple times and think you maybe correct on your diagnosis.

Since my last post I took my rifle to a local gunsmith and had him take a look at my rifle with his borescope. He said nothing looked abnormal but when he smoked the bullet and inserted into the chamber, he had concerns about the way the bullet contacted the lands. A couple contact points were very obvious with the rest either very faint or you couldn’t even see them. This may explain why I can feel two different points where the bullet contacts the lands.

I have also been researching throaters and may go this route instead of going back and forth with Ruger. Looks like the PTG Uni-throater might be what I need just to “clean up” the throat.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I didn't see it, hence why I am asking...

How you tried another bullet? or a different bullet weight?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

H
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Yep, the Hornady 105 BTHP and the Berger 105 Hybrid. All have to be seated way short of what they should be.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Houser52
Originally Posted by greydog
I have seen a number of five groove barrels in which the throat is defective, due to reamer deflection. In these barrels, there is evidence that the reamer has cut in the grooves but has not fully removed the lands. This is the result of one cutting edge of the reamer being unsupported by the others. The reamer essentially bounces back and forth as it cuts. This phenomena is made worse if the reamer is a bit dull. As I said earlier, this is most common when the throat is cut separately but it does happen with reamers which have an integral throater as well. The deflection is not huge, and to the naked eye, the throat appears normal. The amount of deflection is probably on the order of .001" or slightly less but it is still enough to leave enough land to contact the bullet. If one has the ability, it is possible to detect the deflection in the neck as well. In a throat which has this defect, the functional diameter of the throat will be somewhere near nominal bullet diameter or just a little less.
Is it correctable? Yes, it is. The use of a spiral fluted throater, or a five fluted throater, will allow one to remove the remaining tops of the lands. The throat will still be a little weird because the grooves will but radiused differently than they should be, but the throat will work out OK.
I have to emphasize, with the right tooling, the right set up, and the right technique, this will not happen. It is my opinion though, Ruger has an issue in one or more of these areas; at least in this chambering. GD

I still haven’t called Ruger about my rifle but I reread your post a couple times and think you maybe correct on your diagnosis.

Since my last post I took my rifle to a local gunsmith and had him take a look at my rifle with his borescope. He said nothing looked abnormal but when he smoked the bullet and inserted into the chamber, he had concerns about the way the bullet contacted the lands. A couple contact points were very obvious with the rest either very faint or you couldn’t even see them. This may explain why I can feel two different points where the bullet contacts the lands.

I have also been researching throaters and may go this route instead of going back and forth with Ruger. Looks like the PTG Uni-throater might be what I need just to “clean up” the throat.
I can't emphasize enough, if you are cutting throat in a five groove barrel, with a throating reamer, you will need to use a spiral fluted or a five fluted reamer, and with a closely fitting pilot. GD

H
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks greydog.

I went to a nearby gun shop yesterday looking for powder and to get some info on their yearly groundhog/ egg shoot. We got to talking about my rifle and they suggested a local rifle builder, Plainsview Precision in Lawndale, NC. All of the shop’s employees are shooters and have used him at some point.

I gave the builder a call and he is going to have a look at it. He’s just had knee surgery and will be out of the shop for a month.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All have to be seated way short of what they should be.

And where, praytell, is this?

H
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
All have to be seated way short of what they should be.

And where, praytell, is this?

6mm Creedmoor SAAMI maximum COAL length is 2.800” Hornady reloading manual- 105gr and 108gr loads tested at 2.790” COAL

In my rifle, 105 BTHP, touches at 2.625” COAL. I can force the bullet in deeper to 2.780” COAL
108 ELD-M, touches at 2.675” COAL. I can force the bullet in deeper to 2.742” COAL

All measurements are short of the SAAMI 2.800”

I hope the issue is what greydog posted earlier and the gunsmith can get it corrected. I have only shot 1 of the factory ELD-M and didn’t have any pressure signs but I won’t shoot anymore until it gets checked out.

I have been shooting my 105 BTHP loads and they do pretty well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Houser52; 03/09/23.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
These dimensions sound nearly identical to the barrel that Ruger took off of my rifle, just before installing one with a correct SAAMI chamber.

Maybe they saved my old barrel & put it on your gun. shocked

They're a phone call away & know about the problem, whether they'll admit it or not.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Update- I finally got another opinion from a different gunsmith. As someone said earlier and my gunsmith verified, it looks like the lands were not fully removed when the chamber was cut.

I called Ruger today and explained everything. They wanted to check it out and sent me a shipping label. I got it boxed up and shipped this afternoon. Since we’re both in NC they should have it in a day or so. Hopefully they can get the chamber corrected the first time and it’s still as accurate as it was with the bad chamber.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
After about 2 weeks from shipping my barrel to Ruger I got it back yesterday. They replaced the barrel.

With the newly replaced barrel I was anxious to see how it performed. I tore it down, cleaned under the pic rail and re-torqued the screws, cleaned the action, ran a few clean patches down the bore and re-torqued the action screws. Mounted the scope and torqued everything to the mfg. recommendation. Using the Stoney Point gauge I checked where the Hornady 108 ELD-M bullet contacted the lands, 2.842” avg. as opposed to the original barrel at 2.791”. There was no resistance when checking the OAL, just a hard stop. So far so good.

I already had a few rounds of 85 gr. Sierra SP that I had previously loaded so I decided to use them to sight in. The first shot was on paper at 50 yds so I made and adjustment and backed up to 100 yds. After a couple more shots I had it pretty well dialed in with the 85 Sierra SP.

So far it looks like the accuracy of the new barrel is good with the 85s and I’ll be checking the 108 ELD-M later to see how they do.

Here is the 85gr Sierra. I know, I know that it’s only two shots but it’s incourging.

Last edited by Houser52; 08/17/23.
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Excellent ending. Good on Ruger for changing the barrel. GD

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 222Sako, 54 invisible), 2,310 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.