Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a Remington Model 14 in 30 Remington that I just purchased with a 30 day return. I really like it. The action is smooth and the outside is in great condition. The barrel not so much. There are a bunch of small pits and there is one area about two inches long where the patches and brush barely touch. I took it to a gunsmith yesterday to run a borescope and he advised to shoot it and see. I contacted the seller to make sure he didn't mind my shooting it to see if I wanted to keep it or return it. He said shoot it. smile I am going outside in a little bit to see how it shoots.

I would really like to keep it so what are my options if it doesn't shoot well? Replacement barrels are basically nonexistent. Can it be bored out and sleeved? Could it be bored to 32 Remington?

I would appreciate any and all advise. I am going to post this in the gunsmith section as well.

Thanks. Jim

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pits I wouldn't have worried about. But that section where the brushes/patches aren't touching the bore? Sounds like it may be bulged. How does the barrel look from the outside? Just look along its length, or take some measurements.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It may shoot much better than you'd expect. I'd be at least as concerned about getting ammo or brass for those old Remington rimless cartridges unless you already have a supply.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The barrel looks good from the outside and I don't feel any protrusions. The smithy looked also and said he didn't see anything wrong either. The rifling was pretty worn in that area though.

My Son has a 141 so we have ammo and brass. smile

Thanks guys.

Jim

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
texasbatman,

My wife has a Model 141 in .30 Remington--but it was originally a .32 Remington, as evidenced by the brass "medallion" in the side of receiver, designed to resembled a case-head. The barrel is a Remington, but looks very much like the barrels they were putting on 760s (and 700s) later on--with stampings from that era, and looks like it was stamped by Remington as well.

For many years Remington would rebarrel their factory rifles inexpensively--but only to the original cartridge, to prevent rifle loonies from changing their minds, and deciding they really wanted, say, a .280 instead of a .30-06. I am guessing this 141 might have been rebarreled by Remington--but long enough after they discontinued the .32 Remington to have run out of .32-caliber barrels.

Dunno if the present Remington Arms would do something similar if the original barrel on your 14 turns out to be, uh, "shot". But it might be worth asking them.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I will give them a shout and see. Thank you.

Jim

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
There’s currently two M14, 30 REM barrels on eBay. Neither is cheap.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If the last 2 or 3 inches of bore at the muzzle is good...you may be surprised how well it will shoot.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Poconojack
There’s currently two M14, 30 REM barrels on eBay. Neither is cheap.

I saw the one for 200.00 basically and it didn't look too bad. Plus, he has a 30 day return on it. I found another that said the rifling was excellent and he too had a 30 day return. There was some small rust speckling on the outside but very minor. I went ahead and bought it just in case. smile

Thanks for your help folks.

Jim

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Smart move. I have Model 30 Express in 30 Rem. Keep you eye out for brass, it's rather scarce.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I took her out and shot it to see how poorly it was going to shoot. WOW!!!!!!!! Surprise!!!!!
[Linked Image]

However, I shot 5 rounds and split the casings on 3 of them.
[Linked Image]

The other two looked just fine.
[Linked Image]

The ammo was new but old. I think I will slightly pull the bullets to make sure they are not welded. Then I will try it again. Thanks for all your help.

Jim

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Have you loaded any of the brass yet?
Looks like it will shoot, hopefully new cases will not split.

A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
I’ve successfully loaded .30 Remington with 30-30 dies & an appropriate shell holder.

Mine is a Remington model 8.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
If you are satisfied with the way it shoots leave it alone. But a lining job to make a new chamber and bore are very doable. However if you can get a barrel for $200 it's a better option because I doubt you could get it relined for that same amount.

1 other note of interest:
It's not hard to make 30 Remington out of 30-30 Winchester if you have a lathe. When the 6.8SPC first came out I made about 100 cases from 30-30, and it has the same head dimensions as a 30 Remington. The easy way to do it is to turn off the rim of the 30-30s and grind a tool to cut the case groove. I made a spud that went into the case neck to give it support and would simply chuck up on the neck to spin the case agains a live center in the primer pocket. It's an easy and quick way to convert the rimmed case into the rimless one.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Saw 6 boxes of that ammo at the gunshow today it was 65/ box. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 338reddog
Have you loaded any of the brass yet?
Looks like it will shoot, hopefully new cases will not split.

I loaded up 5 rounds tonight. The brass was very easily sized. I then pulled the bullets out of 5 of the factory ammo. I had to beat the heck out of it to get the bullet to start moving. The easiest took 10 whacks and the hardest was 16. That was to get the bullet moving. I de-primed the brass because the inside of the cases was gritty and looked like it had been fired. However, the primer pockets were very clean and it was obvious the rounds were new. Resizing was a little tough. It took quite a bit more pressure. I now have 5 new brass reloads and 5 factory reloads. Hopefully I can shoot them tomorrow and see what happens.

Originally Posted by szihn
If you are satisfied with the way it shoots leave it alone. But a lining job to make a new chamber and bore are very doable. However if you can get a barrel for $200 it's a better option because I doubt you could get it relined for that same amount.

1 other note of interest:
It's not hard to make 30 Remington out of 30-30 Winchester if you have a lathe. When the 6.8SPC first came out I made about 100 cases from 30-30, and it has the same head dimensions as a 30 Remington. The easy way to do it is to turn off the rim of the 30-30s and grind a tool to cut the case groove. I made a spud that went into the case neck to give it support and would simply chuck up on the neck to spin the case against a live center in the primer pocket. It's an easy and quick way to convert the rimmed case into the rimless one.

I had heard about making 30 Rem from 30-30. I have plenty enough brass for now unless I only get 1 shot per case. smile I guess if it continues to split the cases I will need to get someone to re-cut the chamber. I am certainly open to ideas from the brain trust here. smile

I will post again after I shoot the gun. I want to thank all of you for your ideas.

Jim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Graf and sons has 25 and 32 Remington in stock, buy a bag of 25 Remington and run them through your 30 die and you'll have brass. Remington was doing occasional runs. Quality brass also has brass, though their case wall are thicker, so start with beginning loads. Just a thought.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/71101

Last edited by Bushwacker; 03/11/23.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bushwacker
Graf and sons has 25 and 32 Remington in stock, buy a bag of 25 Remington and run them through your 30 die and you'll have brass. Remington was doing occasional runs. Quality brass also has brass, though their case wall are thicker, so start with beginning loads. Just a thought.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/71101
Thanks for the info.

Jim

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Texasbatman - I had .357 magnum ammo once that was in a flood and the bullets had “welded” themselves to the case. I tried a kinetic bullet puller first and like you had to exert way more effort than necessary……I ran the remainder of the ammo through the reloading press with the seater die installed and “seated” the bullet a little deeper first - this broke the weld and the bullets were then pulled with less effort. Cool rifle - I have one also with a pitted bore but still shoots great!

PennDog

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Penn Dog. I will give that as try.

I bought a barrel off ebay that was listed in excellent condition and it was. smile I am keeping the better barrel as a backup. I have not been able to shoot the reloads I made due to poor weather. Hopefully soon.

Thanks again guys for all your help.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

607 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,276
Posts18,448,399
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.