24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Does anyone have any feedback on the Alpaca wool socks?
I use the Old (+20 years) Redhead Merino wool boots socks now. I have a few pairs of them and only use them for hunting or Bluefin tuna fishing . They are not worn out by any means but am researching a warmer sock for stand hunting and still hunting. I hate cold feet.

The "Hollow" brand touts themselves as the bomb so to speak ,but at 35 bucks a pair, well....

I also found some on Amazon that claim the same thing as the Hollow brand but @ 25.00 a pair.

Any info appreciated.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Smartwool or Darntuff merino socks with polypro sock liners from Amazon... Loose fitting boots are the key.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have not used that particular brand but the Alpaca socks I have used in the past were very bad about shrinkage to the point I had to give them away.

I have been using the FITS brand of socks for cold weather. It is the heavy expedition model and is 100% Merino wool on the inside. Last extreme experience was in Alaska this October fly fishing with water temperature in the mid 30s. Very pleased with the warmth they provided even after hours of wading. They wick very well, and my feet were never damp.

https://www.fitssock.com/products/heavy-expedition-otc?variant=32531167019057

Texas bred and born
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I’ve been buying my alpaca socks from a men’s shop for $20 to $23 a pair under the brand name “Punto”. They aren’t super durable but I have so many they last two to three years. They are bad to pill and will lint up your dryer screen in a heartbeat. However, they are comfortable summer and winter and make great presents for my buddies. They are always glad to see me coming at Xmas. They are a hair sock rather than a wool sock and last longer if you wash them in baby shampoo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by brush_buster
I have not used that particular brand but the Alpaca socks I have used in the past were very bad about shrinkage to the point I had to give them away.

I have been using the FITS brand of socks for cold weather. It is the heavy expedition model and is 100% Merino wool on the inside. Last extreme experience was in Alaska this October fly fishing with water temperature in the mid 30s. Very pleased with the warmth they provided even after hours of wading. They wick very well, and my feet were never damp.

https://www.fitssock.com/products/heavy-expedition-otc?variant=32531167019057

Was going to order some for their wool content, but they only come in XS and Smokespoles Small.

This company makes them for men:

https://www.alpacadirect.com/collec...me-winter-boot-socks?variant=30525941190

and:

https://www.warrioralpacasocks.com/mens-alpaca-wool-socks/second-to-none-thick-alpaca-boot-socks/

Have to wear out my new three-pack of Smartwool Mountaineers available in Huge.

Goin' alpaca for any border appropriation.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I like them. Cold water wash and hang them on a drying rack. Alpaca of Montana - warmest hat I’ve owned.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Love Alpaca socks.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I've switched all my socks to wool for year around use mainly smartwool. I buy when on sale usually a website like steepandcheap.com and can find them around 9 bucks. I am thinking of doing the same with my boxers as well and switching to merino. Look into baffin books for stand hunting they make the warmest boots I've ever worn

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have tried lot of different ones. These are the best I have found. Comfortable,warm and durable. There is nothing special about alpaca wool, IMO.

https://www.scheels.com/p/adult-sch...ool-crew-hunting-socks/10684-ASU113.html

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/11/23.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I got a pair for Xmas 5 or so years ago. They are insanely hot.

I tried in uninsulated waders with 2+ inches of ice. Still too hot.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Been wearing them for 2 years now. Have complaints yet.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
[spoiler][/spoiler]Anybody had any experience with these:

Adult Scheels Outfitters Treestand 75 Crew Hunting Socks

Except for the Fits sock mentioned above, the Scheels has the highest merino content in the foot sock that I have ever seen.

Last edited by nalabama; 04/28/23.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have had good luck with Alpaca socks that I purchased locally. They seem "fluffier" than just wool.

chris

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I love the alpaca socks. We have a few alpaca farms around here so I got mine at the local farmers markets. Very warm and comfy.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I bought a pair of the Hollow alpaca socks. I got the heaviest model but they are much thinner than my Darn Tough socks. They are not as tight of a weave and do not look nearly as durable. I haven't gotten a chance to test them in cold weather yet but so far they are meh. I highly recommend Darn Tough. If someone made alpaca socks in the same thickness, density as Darn Tough, I would be very interested in trying them. I kind of wish Darn Tough would add some alpaca socks to their selection.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by abbydog
I like them. Cold water wash and hang them on a drying rack. Alpaca of Montana - warmest hat I’ve owned.

I have one of those too but they are lined with polyester fleece. That is what makes it warm.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
723 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.