Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
So an update on my journey with this gun. First off a big thank you to all who helped here. The sharpie trick made it easy to spot where the pressure was. Second, Al sent me one of his "brass gizmos" and I received it last week. I had loaded up several and fired them using Big Game powder. I then used the headspace tool Al sent me to measure how much the case stretched during firing. It looks like my cases stretched .003-.004 inches when firing, which I did not think was bad at all. But now that I have that tool, I can set the shoulder back a particular amount when I resize. I believe I will start at .002!
I think I just turned a corner in my reloading hobby. Since I started reloading 11 years ago, I never measured headspace. Just adjusted until the shell holder touched, and a bit more until it slightly "cammed over". But now I have a feeling I will be wanting to measure headspace on all the rifles I load for! Funny how some guys go all their lives and never worry about headspace. I have an older guy I am friends with who has helped me on occasion with reloading questions. I don't think he ever measures headspace, and he has been at it a lot longer than I have!

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Glad it worked out for you. smile once a person is able to measure what's happening when setting up dies, things get a lot easier and make more sense.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Something I learned from JB: To prevent expander ball induced case stretching, you can neck expand in a separate step (after sizing without the expander ball stem in place) by running the case UP into the sizer die with a lowered expander ball. Lubricant inside the case neck is still needed. I suppose there's a chance of case shortening or some shoulder setback with this method. JB says the above described method keeps the neck straighter (if your sizeer die is reamed straight), too. -Mark & Belle

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

369 members (160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 34 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,226
Posts18,447,682
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.