Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by ChrisF
I got introduced to Silky saws when I pinched a chainsaw bar in the backcountry and was fortunate to find a University researcher manning a chopper landing site who loaned me his Silky saw. I wasn't optimistic, but I got that saw unstuck pretty quickly considering.

I bought a Pocketboy 170 right away, and now I always have it in my pack when I'm outdoors. The blades have kept an edge, but I have cracked them. Good news is that they're replaceable and available from multiple sources. Bad news is they're imported so they're pricey. Sometimes it's more economical to buy a whole saw rather than just a blade.

Silky saws are highly thought of by arborists and such up here. I'm not sure if they work on bones though,
Sikly's blade come in three or four tooth sizes. The fine or med worked for skulling a deer. I've not worked other type of bone with my Silky.

I recently had a work mate break the blade on my Felco 600, the replacement blade turned out to be more expensive than a complete saw.

I am interested in knowing if someone has physically used and compared the Silky Saw range with the Felco 600.

Added. I ordered a Silky Outback and shall test it myself at work.

Well, handle on the Outback is more comfortable, the lock up seems better with the two positions and metal lock. The teeth are slightly more aggressive, with the cut a tad wider on the outback, and it includes a plastic case for the saw.
The blade is straight, versus the slightly curved blade on the Felco, neither of which made any difference when in use.

And only ten dollars between them.

I would opt for the Silky Outback.

[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Silky is the bomb! I have a Silky Hayate limb saw and it’s wicked. Buy once-cry once deal @ $350. Worth every penny. Replacement blade is $80 but haven’t had the need for one after years of use.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fshaw
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Silky makes some nice saws. Not sure that I would pack one on a backcountry hunt unless I was using a wood burning stove though.

I used a small SOG multitool to clear a trail for my mule deer hunt. Not the ideal tool, but good enough. I do carry a lightweight saw for skull caps but don't cut wood with it.

Which lightweight saw bo you use for skullcaps?

Thanks.

Frank

Sorry for the late reply. Just saw this.

I use the Outdoor Edge t-handle for skull caps. I wouldn't say that it's the greatest saw but fairly light for 8" blade. I was using the Gerber folder but busted two of them.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Those silky saws are great! Blades are kinda easy to break though

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Definitely don't want to man handle them too hard; it's worth noting that the blade is designed to cut on the pull stroke- just a light, smooth push stroke (guiding it) and then you can pull a little harder on the pull stroke where it's doing the majority of the cutting

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
All;
Top of the morning to you all, I hope the day has been good to each of you thus far.

This just landed in my feed and truly I've not watched it all, so leave it without further comment.

Usually there's something useful in this chap's videos.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BC30cal
All;
Top of the morning to you all, I hope the day has been good to each of you thus far.

This just landed in my feed and truly I've not watched it all, so leave it without further comment.

Usually there's something useful in this chap's videos.

All the best.

Dwayne
The problem with this guy is that he uses software that shortens the spaces between words. It greatly speeds up video without making it sound high and squeaky. I have bad hearing and I find him very hard to follow.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Rock Chuck;
Good morning to you sir, I trust all is going well as can be down in your part of Idaho.

For sure he's not the easiest to follow if one is listening through computer speakers.

A couple years back now I decided to try headphones when listening to videos and liked it so much I splurged a wee bit and picked up some Sennheiser wireless headphones. It takes listening to music on YouTube to an entirely different place for me and again I can understand the narration on videos like Project Farm much better.

As well, I do like the methodology he develops and then the charts he creates showing the ranking.

Hope that was useful to you or someone else this morning.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I use headphones all the time on my computer because my hearing aids don't do well with speakers. Since I have to conscientiously pick out the words, high speed doesn't come through well.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought my two sons the Corona RS 7265D, which I think is the same saw in the video or similar. That was 11 months ago. They seem like good saws, but we haven't used them enough to recommend.

Last edited by 4th_point; 03/12/23.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Silky just like the one in the pic. Love it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 64 invisible), 3,039 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.