Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Stopped at a LGS in Florence AL yesterday just to look. Left with two pounds each of Lil’Gun and Longshot. These are new to me, but Hodgdon shows some interesting loads in .38 and .44 Mag

Sam......

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I picked up a test bottle of Longshot a while back......10mm & 200's

Also trying it out in 9 carbine with cast 148's

Hate the way it meters even with my Redding BR powder measure

Have to always buy powder online....nuthin local to pick from at all

Bought some AA #7 to replace the L/S when its gone...have #5 & #9 too

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I used Lil Gun in my 77/44. 300 grain WFN GCs just under 1600 fps, they was some killin' sumbishes.

Haven't used Longshot. Like Tikkanut, I'm using AA #7 in my 45 Super and 460 Rowland.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve only tested Longshot a couple times, but it seems to produce very good accuracy. I plan to do a lot more testing with it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have more recently been loading LIL'Gun, Enforcer and IMR4227 and cast PB and GC in addition to my other .44 usual powders with very satisfying results.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I like Longshot for mid power loads in 44 and 38. It measures well in my Hornady progressive or from one of my rcbs or lee bench mounted powder dumps. Lilgun is great for full power 357 loads and 44mag loads.

Bb

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I’ve used Longshot in 45acp+p loads.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use Longshot in 45 Super and 10mm both with heavies. Lil Gun is my go to powder for 450 Bushmaster. I'm gonna start using it in 50 Beuwulf too

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Didn't Lil Gun cause some problems in revolvers? I am thinking it burned hot and caused flame cutting on the frame. Anybody?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
Didn't Lil Gun cause some problems in revolvers? I am thinking it burned hot and caused flame cutting on the frame. Anybody?

This is what Freedom Arms claimed with the 454 Casull.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Both lilgun and longshot are very erosive to your barrels. Don't shoot a lot of them. Strap cutting is not the only thing with these powders. Be very careful of the lilgun. When you see a vel drop, STOP!!!!!! Your about to blow the top off your gun.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have never had such consistent velocity results as I have with longshot shooting a 10mm XDM Elite. I tried several others, and had good results accuracy wise, but the longshot would hardly have any variance in velocity over multiple strings. I was loading 180 Blue Bullets and 200 Brass Monkey Bullets. They are both NLG coated. I was not pushing them too hard. 180 at about 1225 and 200 at about 1175. Out of several strings of either 5 or ten, the velocity was only varying by about 10 - 15 fps from high to low. Needless to say, I was impressed. All were loaded on a Dillon 550 but using a RCBS Chargemaster light to drop powder. LiL Gun is impressive in my .45 Colt 16" Rossi Lever, but I usually stick with W296 or H110.

I order most all my powder or get it in Cullman, AL. We do have a new store here in Muscle Shoals that usually keeps a pretty good supply. Just curious as to where in Florence you may have been as it's just across the river from me. Southern Defense, Academy, or Cypress Creek?

Living in a Blue Healers home with me and my wife as pets.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Stopped at a LGS in Florence AL yesterday just to look. Left with two pounds each of Lil’Gun and Longshot. These are new to me, but Hodgdon shows some interesting loads in .38 and .44 Mag
Longshot is THE powder for 40sw if you want high velocity. It is also a great 20ga 7/8oz 1450fps powder. It is OK in 9mm, but it is too slow for standard 45acp. Excellent for 45 Super and 460 Rowland. A little too fast burning for 44mag if you want top velocity - might work OK for 44wussy loads.

I've only burned a pound of LilGun in 44mag. Gave the highest velocities and also warmed the revolver up faster than any other powder I've used. I did not see any forcing cone erosion.
LilGun is THE powder if you want high velocity 20ga steel loads.

Neither powder is suitable for 38spl imo. Both are way too slow for such low pressure cartridge.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Tennessee valley Armory, actually in Muscle Shoals. Nice place.

Sam......

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dla
Longshot is THE powder for 40sw if you want high velocity. It is also a great 20ga 7/8oz 1450fps powder. It is OK in 9mm, but it is too slow for standard 45acp. Excellent for 45 Super and 460 Rowland. A little too fast burning for 44mag if you want top velocity - might work OK for 44wussy loads.

I've only burned a pound of LilGun in 44mag. Gave the highest velocities and also warmed the revolver up faster than any other powder I've used. I did not see any forcing cone erosion.

Neither powder is suitable for 38spl imo. Both are way too slow for such low pressure cartridge.

I really like Longshot powder for both pistols and shotgun. I've used a lot of it in fast 12 gauge money shoot loads. I know some guys are talking 9mm and 40S&W here and this is what I've been messing with the last couple days. Getting prepared for a bowling pin shoot in a couple weeks:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
First time messing with the 180gr JHP Zero bullet's in my 40, but they will work. If I decide to use that pistol. I'll probably just run the CZ 9mm.. I also use Longshot in my 45 ACP 230gr XTP loads as well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes TN Valley Armory is the new location I was referring to. One of the guys there, Gentry, used to manage the firearms and hunting portion of Shoals Outdoor Sports. He was there a long time, and they shifted away from the guns and hunting to mostly ATV's and side x sides. I was glad when he and his partners opened the new place.

Chris in AL

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by dla

I really like Longshot powder for both pistols and shotgun. I've used a lot of it in fast 12 gauge money shoot loads. I know some guys are talking 9mm and 40S&W here and this is what I've been messing with the last couple days. Getting prepared for a bowling pin shoot in a couple weeks:
First time messing with the 180gr JHP Zero bullet's in my 40, but they will work. If I decide to use that pistol. I'll probably just run the CZ 9mm.. I also use Longshot in my 45 ACP 230gr XTP loads as well.

You should do well!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Is anyone having issues with Longshot like tommeboy posted? I'd like some proof on that one. I just bought another pound of Longshot yesterday. Even though it will take quite a while for me to burn up what I already have. Pistola's don't take much powder.

Anyway, I am interested to hear if Longshot is actually going to damage a pistol. In my experience, it has worked extremely well in the 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. Thanks

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I've never had issues with either of them, just never gotten either of them to shoot all that well in anything, especially LilGun. Buckshot looking groups is about all I have ever gotten with that stuff. 🤷‍♂️ Longshot wasn't bad, but just not as good as other powders.

Only handgun powder I recall really ever having "issues" with is HS6, and that was consistent ignition problems across several different cartridges.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Is anyone having issues with Longshot like tommeboy posted? I'd like some proof on that one. I just bought another pound of Longshot yesterday. Even though it will take quite a while for me to burn up what I already have. Pistola's don't take much powder.

Anyway, I am interested to hear if Longshot is actually going to damage a pistol. In my experience, it has worked extremely well in the 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. Thanks
I didn't say anything because I was trying to be polite. Just about everything he said is BS.

The only thing remotely true is that the high nitro content of LilGun raises the combustion temperature and it has been documented to erode forcing cones in 50-65k psi revolvers. If you don't load for that class of revolver, you won't have a problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1minute, 60 invisible), 2,885 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,453,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.