Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Jeffpg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the input guys.

As mentioned, I will be slammed with working long hours every day all through April and halfway into May, but once the work is done I am a kid in a candy store with some change in his pocket. My woman likes to hike & hunt with me and we plan to share a rifle as we try for a bear or two nearby. We are also open to any other options for fishing & adventuring.

I'm seeking a no frills, functional apartment or house near the Marathon refinery if anyone has a lead. Washer and dryer needed if possible.

What do you guys recommend for a rental vehicle? I'm thinking that a small/medium sized 4x4 SUV type vehicle should work well. I'm sure going to miss having my truck!

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jeff,

If you like to fish, when I was there I was told about a lake called "Elephant" lake just north of Kasilof. The back story was that it was on native land and that it had not been open to fishing for a long time. Due to some agreement with the state, the lake became open to fish. It was close but remote at the same time if that makes sense. My son and I found it and had one of the best fishing days of the trip. We caught over 20 landlocked silvers on spoons and spinners. I remember that we started out with trout sized lures and it was slow, when we upsized to bigger spoons and Muskie sized Mepps the action was hot.

It was a rough road for the last few miles. We had to ride the tops of ruts on a muddy dirt track. You also would do well to have waders, there wasn't much of an edge. It was very picturesque. We had moose walking around eating the vegetation in the water within a couple hundred yards and the only noise was from the loons that seemed to be everywhere. We went armed because this was one of the places that we were warned a bear was recently seen.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Jeffpg

What do you guys recommend for a rental vehicle? I'm thinking that a small/medium sized 4x4 SUV type vehicle should work well. I'm sure going to miss having my truck!

Might want to deal with the vehicle rental ASAP. May even be too late already.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Jeffpg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AGL4now
Originally Posted by Jeffpg

Might want to deal with the vehicle rental ASAP. May even be too late already.

Yeah, I’m working on it as time allows but don’t have anything firmed up yet.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Buy a rig and I'll buy it from you what you paid minus the quoted rental cost.

Sorry you're going to the kp. It's not alaska, but at least it's close to Whittier. I bet you manage to have a good time anyway. Give a shout if you need anything!

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by FNWhelen
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Pizza & Beer at St. Elias (Soldotna) is always a must IMO. Lots of neat places over in Kenai to see-----Like the old Russian Orthodox church & having lunch up on the bluff over looking the Kenai River. Not to mention watching all the dip netters in July for the "reds"
St. Elias always seems to be busy in the summer. I don’t understand it. Their pizza isn’t too bad, but the rest of the food left me unimpressed. Their beer is second tier, IMO.

FAR BETTER, is Kenai River Brewing (KRB) just a quarter mile from there. Very good beer and food.

Second what Ironbender said. And if you get to wanting a good burger or fish sandwich in Kenai you got to try the Burger Bus. Just be prepared to wait in line as they are busy in the summer.

Yep to both. I would suggest 1000 times better...

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The Kenai will not be open for Trout fishing until June 11th. So Keyes will be present @ Cooper landing...

*** my Grandaughters

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by kk alaska
You wont be alone on the Kenai P in the summer!

Truth😉 Soldier's Fort will become the state's 3rd largest city...

*** my Grandaughters

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by akpls
The bakery is gone and the building has recently been taken over by what looks to be a construction company.
"SIAM". (see-ah'-m) Another Thai restraint coming to town...

*** my Grandaughters

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Your timing is perfect for a spring black bear hunt. Get with Ironbender as soon as possible... he always has beer...

Art,
You've just got to stop! That's not nice to give away other's "honey-hole" spots like that 😉

*** my Grandaughters

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Elephant" lake just north of Kasilof.

Everything is correct, though the above is half way between Soldotna and Kenai on the Spurr road. Take a rh turn at the "Y" in Soldotna, go 45 miles or so and turn right. Map quest will show you the way. There are those that can outfit the OP on the very cheap if desired. Prolly a couple o rednecks though...

*** my Grandaughters

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Trying to "catch up" to Art and Mike on post count. It's what you do wen retired methinks😉

*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for catching that bearhuntr, Like I said it's been about 15 years since my last trip up there so my memory is not perfect.

I was there the year of the big forest fires. I can remember stopping and watching the planes that were hauling/dropping water and how brown the sky was.

Aside from the location, I'm thinking 45 miles in Alaska is close by most metrics if you have ever driven around Alaska.

I hope that the lake is still as pristine as I remember it.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
Trying to "catch up" to Art and Mike on post count. It's what you do wen retired methinks😉
Been honing since '04, when I retired. Bender already had to big of a lead.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Elephant" lake just north of Kasilof.

Everything is correct, though the above is half way between Soldotna and Kenai on the Spurr road. Take a rh turn at the "Y" in Soldotna, go 45 miles or so and turn right. Map quest will show you the way. There are those that can outfit the OP on the very cheap if desired. Prolly a couple o rednecks though...
😳

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Been honing since '04, when I retired. Bender already had to big of a lead.
Both of y’all can GFY!

Ya feel me? 😂😂

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Jeffpg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok guys, I have my flight, vehicle rental and lodging covered for April & May. I was fortunate to secure a beautiful home on a huge lake 8 minutes from my work.

We are very excited about spending some time in the Last Frontier.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ROMAC
Thanks for catching that bearhuntr, Like I said it's been about 15 years since my last trip up there so my memory is not perfect.

I was there the year of the big forest fires. I can remember stopping and watching the planes that were hauling/dropping water and how brown the sky was.

Aside from the location, I'm thinking 45 miles in Alaska is close by most metrics if you have ever driven around Alaska.

There was a year there weren't big forest fires? lol

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by ROMAC

There was a year there weren't big forest fires? lol
Yes.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your timing is perfect for a spring black bear hunt. Get with Ironbender as soon as possible... he always has beer...

Art,
You've just got to stop! That's not nice to give away other's "honey-hole" spots like that 😉
Are you kidding? Spooking the hole when danger lurks will keep the prey on high alert and he will protect "our beer" mo'.better!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
665 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 73 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.