Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
MikeS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thought some might be interested in these pictures from yesterday's 3x600 CMP match which is a new addition this year to the CMP Western Games / High Power matches held at Ben Avery Range.

I had not fired a at the Western Games before but decided to sign up for the 600 yard prone match to see what they were all about. I also wanted to check out their Kongsberg electronic target system which utilizes an acoustical chamber to locate the shots. I went over Friday to pick up my score card and have my rifle inspected. Got the scorecard, but it turned out they only inspect the service rifles and AR Tactical class for trigger weight and function. While there, I went over to the pits to look at the targets.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These Norwegian made targets use two membranes to create a sound chamber and determine the shot location acoustically. They were mounted on top of the pit wall instead of placed in the normal carriers.

The actual match was very well run and well attended. They originally planned on two relays but added a third which also appeared to be at capacity.

Conditions were breezy, but fun, especially after the high winds we shot in at the SWN match last month. We did have two 30 minute hold periods called due to concerns over lightning from a passing storm.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The scoring tablets were quite different than what I was used to and functioned well. They also scored in a "decimal" type format which indicated where in the given scoring ring your shot was in relative to center. Pretty cool!

[Linked Image]

Only a sample of one, but I plan on attending more of these CMP events when I can. Very well run.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good shooting!
That scoring is something I'm not used to. I don't think I've seen Xs scored like that. Usually anything over 10.4 is considered an X. IIRC, that's how the Silver Mtns work.
That's how SCATTs work too.

Politics is War by Other Means
MikeS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Tyrone. It is an interesting scoring format. For our scoring, we ignored the decimal component. Ironically, sighter one for my first string was an X.9... nowhere to go but down from there! I also noticed when posting this picture that we forgot to change the target to .30 caliber for my string. Lots of features on those targets to keep track of.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We use shotmarkers up here at its a 10 or X. Ever since we went to shot markers and no pit duty our attendance for mstches has gone up. We avg 20-25 shooters a match now days. We noticed it’s the older shooters that grumble about shot markers. Say they aren’t accurate, we had a challenge last year. Guy swore on a stack of Bibles he had x amount of shots on target. We were able to do this because he was the first relay. Drove down their and he was one short, he had a crossfire we all knew it. But he was adamant he hit his target. We calibrate out shot markers twice a year during shooting season. Anyhow sorry about long post, but electronic scoring is the way to go. Cause pit duty sucks lol.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They use the “traveling” Kongsberg system for the CMP Cup match at Perry. It is held the week before the P100.

I have shot that match several times and far the most part the targets have worked well.

Strangely enough I have endured more problems on their fixed Kongsberg system in Talledega.

Nice shooting btw.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We converted to the Silver Mountain system. It's plus and minus. Every so often it doesn't capture a shot that's not accounted for as a cross fire (smart enough to id a cross fire). I also kinda miss pit duty and the "socializing" that occurs while you're in there scoring targets. I'm going to have to put Raton on the calendar!

The plus side of shorter days and consistent "pit service" are truly pluses. The convention of HM's and MA being squadded on Relays 1 and 2 meant the newby MK and MU's were pulling pit duty first.

Last edited by ChrisF; 03/12/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tyrone,
Are there NRA Highpower Targets you can import into the SCATT? I haven't used the SCATT for highpower yet...but back in the day, they were available for the RIKA.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I know SCATT supports an SR target.

MikeS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What model SCATT are you guys using? I don't think I'd have much need for a live fire version, but the wireless model seems worthwhile for my use. Are there many software updates to be concerned with if buying used?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have the SCATT USB Dry-Fire Shooter Training System. It has wires. You cannot live fire with this system.

However you get plenty of good information about every shot. It is a good training aid. I plan to continue shooting on mine five days a week until the Nationals at Perry.

I have not run any software updates in two years.

You may want to reach out to Firing Line Solutions. Dan was an AMU shooter and Olympian. He rents and sells Scatt units.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a wireless Scatt. Downside vs cabled is that you run into rare connectivity issues. Occasionally the IR unit on the barrel isn't recognized. You also have to be aware that the barrel unit runs off a rechargeable internal lithium cell which has a finite lifespan. Mine is still running strong, but the junior program's unit had to be replaced once and likely again soon.

Is Firing Line Solutions a new dealer/importer? In the past I called SCATT USA and they were knowledgeable and responsive.

For live fire, you're looking for a Noptel.

Last edited by ChrisF; 03/12/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They use the “traveling” Kongsberg system for the CMP Cup match at Perry. It is held the week before the P100.

I have shot that match several times and far the most part the targets have worked well.

Strangely enough I have endured more problems on their fixed Kongsberg system in Talledega.

What percentage of shots would you guess were captured by the Kongsberg Travelling System? I'd heard the nightmare stories of the system installed at Talladega. Has that ever been sorted out?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Scatt targets: Mine has all three targets for XTC plus three targets for Palma. I know in a match you shoot the same Palma target at 800, 900, and 1000 but I guess it is scaled for the distances in the program.

The traveling system worked well in that I have shot over 800 record rounds and don’t recall a dropped shot. The first year we were shooting 100 rounds per day and the batteries were dying in the monitors by the end of the day. The CMP crew had spares and swapped them. Other than that we had a group of targets go down and was on that group. We were moved to different targets.

The first time I shot at Talledega it was a mess. Dropped shots, the whole match was shot in practice mode, target failures, etc. I was told it was all from lack of maintenance. The staff was quick to blame the shooters. My shooter was clean at 600 about 10 shots in and had a missed shot. The official said he shot the target frame and would not give a provisional. I told my shooter to not shoot, ran the official down, and argued until he got a provisional shot. I was glad I did, it did it to him again and to me. The second trip to Talledega was better, nothing terrible.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, SCATT software has all the HP targets.

I usually use the 10m pellet target because the impact dot on the screen is so much bigger & easier to see. Center is still center. smile

Just started using a wireless USB SCATT. It seems more intolerant of shooting from off-angles than the wired one.

I've never experienced a problem with the travelling Kongsberg setup.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dang you guys are into this bigtime! I’m at that point in life I realize I’m not that good and just go out to have fun. I’m Mr. 425 or so at most matches. Or in other words I’m just eic fodder lol..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you, Mark! Don't think we don't love you too! laugh

Instead of nugget, we oughta call you leg meat. laugh

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone

How about Leg fodder... lol.. I drop serious points in sitting rapid fire and prone slow fire. Again I don't take myself to serious as you can see on some my post in the campfire forum. Live life to its fullest and have fun doing it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
79S is probably a triple distinguished high master!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S

How about Leg fodder... lol..
Didn't mean to trigger you. I bet the last time someone called you "meat" it got ugly. laugh

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

How about Leg fodder... lol..
Didn't mean to trigger you. I bet the last time someone called you "meat" it got ugly. laugh

Huh.... How do you get that as triggering me?? Don't make this weird..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
180 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 15 invisible), 1,492 guests, and 835 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,909
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.