Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#18239716 03/14/23
79S Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Picked up this nice 4 inch 19, It’s a 19-5. The price was right paid $750. Go price any pre hole 19 and they are $800 plus

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 79S; 03/14/23. Reason: Fixed 29 to 19 fat fingers

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nice. I'm jealous. On the lookout for a decent 4" 19.

Didn't production of the m19 end quite a while before the hole appeared?

79S Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The 19-8 were the start of the internal lock 19’s. A lot of fans of the 19 say the -4 were the last of the good ones.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It's nice that it has target trigger & hammer!

Ken
79S Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by desertoakie

Yeah I was just looking at it, thinking does this have target hammer and trigger? I’m no smith guy, know enough to get myself in trouble was it common for these to ship without target grips?

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've got a couple of 19s. Sweet guns. I have a four inch and a snubby. The snubby is pinned and recessed, but the four inch was made right after they stopped doing that.

Prices are getting steep on nice, pre-lock, Nineteens these days.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by desertoakie

Yeah I was just looking at it, thinking does this have target hammer and trigger? I’m no smith guy, know enough to get myself in trouble was it common for these to ship without target grips?
Probably didn't come from the factory that way.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It came from the factory that way. LOTS of 4" 19s in the 80s had target triggers & hammers, MUCH moreso than the earlier dash versions.

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats, that was a decent deal on a legendary revolver. It does appear you have the TT & TH...I love the S&W TT & TH!!

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I bought mine in the late ‘70s and it came with the target hammer and trigger. $225 IIRC.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

79S Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
According to a fella on the S&W forums AUJ prefix made july-nov of 85. I’m extremely happy what I paid considering what these are going for on guns international and gunbroker.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My 19 came with TT & TH sometime in the early 1970s. I think that there is still some Super-Vel ammo around somewhere that was bought at the same time. I retired the 19 when I got a 66 in 1994 and haven't had it out of the box for nearly 30 years. IIRC, the box still has a tag from the company arms room from when I stored it there while on REFORGER 82.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Nice pickup. Yours certainly looks like it has the TH and TT. It DOES have the trigger stop, so that would make perfect sense (the little silver nub behind the trigger on the left side of the frame). That little bugger can prove to be problematic if becomes loose, the pistol will fail to fire. S&W recommended these be removed on pistols that were used for duty purposes. It is held by a single screw located under the side plate and it does not take much to stop the trigger from traveling far enough. Every K frame S&W that I own has the frame cut for a trigger stop, but it wasn't until I picked up a model 14-2 6" that I finally got one with the TS. Ironically my model 14 didn't come with a TH and TT (they made them both ways). I own the SCSW 4th edition book, if you send me serial number and contact info I can send you photos of what it says for yours.

I traded for a 19-5 right at the beginning of Covid. I had a Walther PPS 9mm that I disliked so I swapped it plus more than I should have for the S&W. It needed a really good cleaning, I swapped the hammer spring and trigger rebound spring from a Wilson Combat kit ($20), and had to replace the hammer firing pin roll pin as it started to walk out after the first six shots. After the Wilson spring kit it and the model 14 (S&W tuned target model) are neck and neck for the best trigger pull out of all my revolvers.

The recommendation is NOT to fire 125 grain .357 loads through the pistol. Cracked forcing cones occurred due to the notched relief at the bottom of the barrel for yoke clearance. The ultimate solution became the L frame - designed by a former Ruger engineer that went to work for S&W if I remember the story correctly.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by cotis; 03/14/23. Reason: photos

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
79S Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cotis
Nice pickup. Yours certainly looks like it has the TH and TT. It DOES have the trigger stop, so that would make perfect sense (the little silver nub behind the trigger on the left side of the frame). That little bugger can prove to be problematic if becomes loose, the pistol will fail to fire. S&W recommended these be removed on pistols that were used for duty purposes. It is held by a single screw located under the side plate and it does not take much to stop the trigger from traveling far enough. Every K frame S&W that I own has the frame cut for a trigger stop, but it wasn't until I picked up a model 14-2 6" that I finally got one with the TS. Ironically my model 14 didn't come with a TH and TT (they made them both ways). I own the SCSW 4th edition book, if you send me serial number and contact info I can send you photos of what it says for yours.

I traded for a 19-5 right at the beginning of Covid. I had a Walther PPS 9mm that I disliked so I swapped it plus more than I should have for the S&W. It needed a really good cleaning, I swapped the hammer spring and trigger rebound spring from a Wilson Combat kit ($20), and had to replace the hammer firing pin roll pin as it started to walk out after the first six shots. After the Wilson spring kit it and the model 14 (S&W tuned target model) are neck and neck for the best trigger pull out of all my revolvers.

The recommendation is NOT to fire 125 grain .357 loads through the pistol. Cracked forcing cones occurred due to the notched relief at the bottom of the barrel for yoke clearance. The ultimate solution became the L frame - designed by a former Ruger engineer that went to work for S&W if I remember the story correctly.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks for the info! Also sent you a pm

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice Model 19!

I like "got a new gun" threads--When somebody gets a new gun, we ALL get a new gun!

Congrats!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I found a pinned model 19 in 99% condition for $650.00 at the local pawn shop…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
79S Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel

That’s a hell of deal I hope you bought it! Like we talked yesterday those 19’s aren’t getting cheaper.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

Fugger probably fenced it for you....

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Picked up this 6" 19-5 a while back at a local auction. Very accurate revolver even in my hands. Now I'd like a 4" as well

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

79S Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nice 19!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

That’s a hell of deal I hope you bought it! Like we talked yesterday those 19’s aren’t getting cheaper.

I only posted that because we talked about it yesterday. It isn’t true, just a poke in the eye…

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
79S, grats on one of the best revolvers ever!

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I'm looking for another one, this time with the orange front sight insert. While I know my old '68 Python's a better made revolver, my wife's 19-4/4"bbl is still my favorite.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
That's a good deal, nowadays. A new in the box variety would go for about $1,250.00.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
19-4 was the last of the pinned and recessed 19's but all of them are shooters. A friend of mine in the gun parts business told me awhile back that k frame target triggers sell for $250. So a k with the tt and th has some major added extra value...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
79S Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
19-4 was the last of the pinned and recessed 19's but all of them are shooters. A friend of mine in the gun parts business told me awhile back that k frame target triggers sell for $250. So a k with the tt and th has some major added extra value...mb

Don’t Factory target grips starting at $100 as well..

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
You would need to subtract from that figure the price of a standard S&W hammer and trigger.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 79S

Don’t Factory target grips starting at $100 as well..
For a real beater.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Looks like a very nice find!

My wife's uncle gave us a small pile of guns before he passed.

This was her grandfathers 19-3. Has some holster wear but other than that is in great shape.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Very nice M19 you have there 79S. K-frames are my favorite too. I am sure you will enjoy it.
I have 2 .357 K frames. They are my favorite revolvers to just go to the range and shoot. 6gr of Unique and a 158gr lead SWC is very enjoyable to shoot.
M66 purchased new in 73 if I remember right. Has had a couple of make overs. 😁

M19-3 from 1970 was a gift from a friend.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have never understood why people prefer the TH and even more so the Target Trigger. Does anyone shoot these guns double action?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RufusG
I have never understood why people prefer the TH and even more so the Target Trigger. Does anyone shoot these guns double action?

Agree with you. The wide grooved trigger sucks for double action shooting. I very much prefer a narrow smooth face trigger.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I'm with you. I have always avoided Smiths with those features.

79S Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC

Agree with you. The wide grooved trigger sucks for double action shooting. I very much prefer a narrow smooth face trigger.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I'm with you. I have always avoided Smiths with those features.

Pards, why don’t you 3 go start a model 19 thread talking about the features on these pistols you don’t like.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry, did not realize this was designated an affirmation-only thread.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 79S
Pards, why don’t you 3 go start a model 19 thread talking about the features on these pistols you don’t like.
Typical specimens of the Model 19, with barrels shorter than six inches, didn't come with target hammers and triggers. They came with service style hammers and triggers, or perhaps better called hammers and triggers that split the difference between service style and target style. Same goes for the front sights, which were typically ramped rather than Patridge style in all but the six inch models. I prefer ramped, as is common in four inch models and shorter.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It's really a lovely gun, it would just be lovelier with the wide combat trigger.

79S Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Pard, we are trying to bring back the good old days of the campfire. More respectful dialogue less of the needless criticism. So let’s try to do that. Remember we can do this ..

79S Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Typical specimens of the Model 19, with barrels shorter than six inches, didn't come with target hammers and triggers. They came with service style hammers and triggers, or perhaps better called hammers and triggers that split the difference between service style and target style. Same goes for the front sights, which were typically ramped rather than Patridge style in all but the six inch models. I prefer ramped, as is common in four inch models and shorter.

Pard, are you saying this one was pieced together from 5 other 19’s?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 79S
Not sure where you got that from. Perhaps read my post over again.

It seems that there were a small number of four inch barrel specimens that came from the factory with the target style triggers and hammers, as has already been made clear in this thread. Ordinarily, however, those with barrels shorter than six inches lacked the full target style hammers and triggers. They also lacked the Patridge style front sights, which more typically came on the six inch barrel specimens. That's all I said.

Understood?

79S Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Not sure where you got that from. Perhaps read my post over again.

It seems that there were a small number of four inch barrel specimens that came from the factory with the target style triggers and hammers, as has already been made clear in this thread. Ordinarily, however, those with barrels shorter than six inches lacked the full target style hammers and triggers. They also lacked the Patridge style front sights, which more typically came on the six inch barrel specimens. That's all I said.

Understood?

Pard, you are coming in a little hostile, tone it down some, but other than that great info! Remember we can bring the old campfire back.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have a couple of pinned and recessed 4 inch 19s from the late 1970s both with target hammer and wide trigger. Strangely I have a 6 inch 19-5 with patridge front sight that has standard(narrow) hammer and trigger. I too prefer the standard hammer and triggers

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by dogdoc
I have a couple of pinned and recessed 4 inch 19s from the late 1970s both with target hammer and wide trigger. Strangely I have a 6 inch 19-5 with patridge front sight that has standard(narrow) hammer and trigger. I too prefer the standard hammer and triggers
Pard, you're coming in a little hostile. Tone it down. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S

Pard, we are trying to bring back the good old days of the campfire. More respectful dialogue less of the needless criticism. So let’s try to do that. Remember we can do this ..

Saying sorry seemed pretty kumbahyah. And you obviously missed my followup post.

Last edited by RufusG; 03/16/23.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

How do you figure that his post is hostile? I don't see any hostility

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

Did you see the smiling face at the end of the post?.....He was joking.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
This is exactly how my 19-5 is configured. Smooth trigger, hammer with enough grip but definitely not a target model, no trigger stop, and a ramp serrated front sight. Mine did come to me with target grips in it, not magnas. I have small hands but like the full size grips better.

I have a mint 4” 19-3 in a pistol rug in my safe, but alas it is not mine! Widowed neighbor across the street bought it with her husband in 1973, they went to the range with it a few times in the 70s and then put it up. She came to me during the beginning of Covid in a panic, son, daughter, and grandkid were all escaping New York / San Fran and coming to live with her. She had pistol loaded and locked in a cheap briefcase sized Costco “fire safe” that she had lost the key to years ago. Asked me to break into it. Broke out the full lockpicking set (knowledge learned during high school years when I was a bit more mischievous…) and I had it open in less than 30 seconds. She was estatic, wanted the papers out of the safe, but asked me to keep the pistol in my safe so it wasn’t at her house. Naturally I agreed and have even offered to purchase it twice, just name the price, but she still wants it. So it just sits in my safe teasing and torturing me showing me what I could have.

I even full stripped it, deep cleaned and oiled, it is slick as whale snot now. Dammit…
I have a photo of it loaded here on 24hcf somewhere, prob around May 2020.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The price of various S&W grips is partly where you are located. 2 weeks ago at a gunshow I picked up a set of older goncala alves target grips with the football cut out on the left side smooth rosewood for $40 not new cond. but nice. Put them on my 6" blued 19 that has tt and th. 3 months back scored a set of checkered GA's with the crescent cut out real nice for 35. There availible at a decent price I buy them.just my 2 cts...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The price of various S&W grips is partly where you are located. 2 weeks ago at a gunshow I picked up a set of older goncala alves target grips with the football cut out on the left side smooth rosewood for $40 not new cond. but nice. Put them on my 6" blued 19 that has tt and th. 3 months back scored a set of checkered GA's with the crescent cut out real nice for 35. There availible at a decent price I buy them.just my 2 cts...mb

Damn skippy...

Anywhere I show up the price of things seems to triple. I'm gettin' a complex

nice grab 79s....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

79S Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Saying sorry seemed pretty kumbahyah. And you obviously missed my followup post.

I was being very Facetious😁. I know everyone has their preference. I have a 28 that has the narrow trigger and hammer. I’m in the camp of not sure which one I like.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by TC1
Originally Posted by jwp475

Did you see the smiling face at the end of the post?.....He was joking.

Looks like I missed that

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by johnw

Damn skippy...

nice grab 79s....

Not sure but awhile back the demand and price seemed to be falling off a bit. The huge popularity of semi autos I think has fewer people contesting for all cool revolver items. I don't have any problems running a tt fast double action if the upper right corner of it is sharp round it with a dremel.( very carefully)...mb

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw

Damn skippy...

nice grab 79s....

Not sure but awhile back the demand and price seemed to be falling off a bit. The huge popularity of semi autos I think has fewer people contesting for all cool revolver items. I don't have any problems running a tt fast double action if the upper right corner of it is sharp round it with a dremel.( very carefully)...mb

Could be you're right

I dove into GB for the first time this week and got 2 nice S&W revolvers for a total (-minus tax and shipping) of $1053. One was a clean S&W model 18-3 that I won with a bid of $718
The pics on GB show the Model 18 with German proof marks, so it's been a traveler. I'll post pics of both revolvers when they show up...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Good score m18-3 are nice shooters bought mine 40 some years ago nib for 185. Std trigger and hammer magna grips, now wears dark smooth rosewood sw target grips...mb

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Never did understand the allure of the target (wide) trigger, maybe just a cool look to some? From a pure shooting point, they suck, at least for double action shooting, which is the only way I shoot mine. All but one of my revolvers has the hammer spur bobbed or speed hammers, which have no spur.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
That's a good deal, nowadays. A new in the box variety would go for about $1,250.00.
Scratch that. Closer to $2,000.00 nowadays.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first revolver was a model Perfect from Herters, which I ordered via. USPS. All I needed was a check to them. 357's have been in my possession one way or another since then. I like 357's. I have three Model 19's. The first one is a Model 19-5 - it mainly has stayed in the factory box. But I have fired it, maybe 6 times.

The next one is a Model 19-4 with TTT and 5" barrel.

The next one is a 19-2 and I carry it sometimes.

Last edited by Bugger; 03/17/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I like that 5 incher. 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I like that 5 incher. 😊

Thanks. It has a faint line around the cylinder. I mainly shoot that at paper... I have not shot it much. I wish the 19-2 was as good a shape as the 19-5. But since it isn't I have it on my hip around here. If I feel the need or if I'm more where animals are bigger and bad, I'll carry a 45 Colt (S&W or a Colt Model "P" Clone) or a model 629. I've shot rabid skunks, coyotes, stray dogs that chase deer and a wolf around here. I know that precise bullet placement is most important and a 357 will likely do in even the worst in the western hemisphere. But I practice with the 44's a lot and the 45's some too and I feel more comfortable with them if I needed them.

A lot of people feel the pinned and recessed S&W's are the best. The 19-2 and the 19-4 are pinned and recessed. The 19-5 is not.

Last edited by Bugger; 03/17/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
79S Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My next one will be a model 14, don’t know why. I should’ve got into the smith game 10yrs ago lol

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 79S
My next one will be a model 14, don’t know why. I should’ve got into the smith game 10yrs ago lol
I'd say it's based on your having good taste in revolvers grin I might could suggest going for a post war premodel number K-38, though. Even us gen Xers find them to be coolest of the bunch.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My one and only I gave $450 for four years ago. I do own a 4" M66.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by EdM
My one and only I gave $450 for four years ago. I do own a 4" M66.

Reasonably cool, but a very distant place compared to your 38 WCF Highway Patrolman grin

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Bugger
My first revolver was a model Perfect from Herters, which I ordered via. USPS. All I needed was a check to them. 357's have been in my possession one way or another since then. I like 357's. I have three Model 19's. The first one is a Model 19-5 - it mainly has stayed in the factory box. But I have fired it, maybe 6 times.

5" is from early 60's exceedingly rare. Yours is a 6" (5.9") measure from cyl face to muzzle. Check it..mb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My contributions to the discussion, both pinned/recessed. I'm told the 2" is fairly rare?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

5" is from early 60's exceedingly rare. Yours is a 6" (5.9") measure from cyl face to muzzle. Check it..mb

It is 5” to the face of the cylinder as I recall, so you’re probably right. I’ll get measurements later. TTT and low usage. Great shape.

Last edited by Bugger; 03/20/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
My contributions to the discussion, both pinned/recessed. I'm told the 2" is fairly rare?

That’s why I have 2each 2”. One is like new in the box. Except it’s a dash 5. My dash 2 is in great working order, shots great. But is carried a lot. Bluing loss.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Very nice find, especially with the service grips!

And now you can go and hunt down some terrorists like Ulrich Wegener did in 1977:

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

[Linked Image from soldiersystems.net]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lufthansa_Flight_181

Elmer Keith
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by jorgeI

That’s why I have 2each 2”. One is like new in the box. Except it’s a dash 5. My dash 2 is in great working order, shots great. But is carried a lot. Bluing loss.
If by rare you mean nonexistent, you' re absolutely right. The 2 3/4" would be a standard catalog item, while the 3" would be fairly rare.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Waders
Nice Model 19!

I like "got a new gun" threads--When somebody gets a new gun, we ALL get a new gun!

Congrats!

Me too.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My oldest was using my 2.5" M19 this last fall while working as a cowboy in the back country of Idaho. served her well, loaded with 170 grain Keith SWCs.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love the Herrett's stocks... 2.5" M19 is SUCH a classic!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

From the end of the barrel to the barrel is 5.625"

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m very fond of M19’s and M66’s. I have two M66’s; a four inch and a six. The four is pinned and recessed.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by lastround
I’m very fond of M19’s and M66’s. I have two M66’s; a four inch and a six. The four is pinned and recessed.
I've got a 66, too, in snubby form.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My EDC is a M19 2 1/2", bought it new in 1988, but looks like its a hundred years old. Wears a set of Herretts similar to Mackys, it's like an old friend now, comfortable to carry, comforting to have, just the greatest revolver made to date.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
My EDC is a M19 2 1/2", bought it new in 1988, but looks like its a hundred years old. Wears a set of Herretts similar to Mackys, it's like an old friend now, comfortable to carry, comforting to have, just the greatest revolver made to date.
I can fully understand that. For many years, my EDC was an S&W Model 13, and I felt the same about it. The only reason I switched to a Glock about ten years ago (for the higher capacity) was due to a sudden rise in mob attacks.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sold my 19s awhile back. Still have my 66, though.
Bob

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you would send me some targets like that, I could take cool pictures of my 66!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by cwh2

Update: Found one! 4" 19-5. A little rust and minor pitting, but I'm guessing she'll shoot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

S&W Model 19 is still offered in Classic line. The Model 19 is very common revolver almost as common as steel K-frame with .38 Special cylinder.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Update: Found one! 4" 19-5. A little rust and minor pitting, but I'm guessing she'll shoot.
Let's see a picture.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Slavic, if you don't know the "Classic" line sucks, you must be a neophyte of the first order. Sleeve barrels, key locks, MIM. No thinks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Slavic, if you don't know the "Classic" line sucks, you must be a neophyte of the first order. Sleeve barrels, key locks, MIM. No thinks.

I am waiting patiently for Model 12 made between 1984 and 1986 that has been shot a little. I am sick and tired of seeing 12-3 and prior variants.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Did some quick research, did you?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am very selective and know exactly what I want. I do not like .357 Magnum cartridge but I would buy first year of production Model 686 +. My admiration for "Blue Collar" means I would probably fall for Model 619 or 620.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Let's see a picture.

I don't much care for the look of the Hogue finger groove grips on a 19, but they fit me well and I can't blame my shooting on the grips. I'll look for a set of wood target grips, and if I can't find a set, I'll make some in that imaginary future place where I have free time....

Last edited by cwh2; 06/01/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't know how I missed this the first time around. Congrats on a nice 19, 79S!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Looks good in the Hogues, but I agree that an old four inch 19 needs to wear OEM wood target grips. Congrats. Join the Model 19 club.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Let's see a picture.

I don't much care for the look of the Hogue finger groove grips on a 19, but they fit me well and I can't blame my shooting on the grips. I'll look for a set of wood target grips, and if I can't find a set, I'll make some in that imaginary future place where I have free time....

Nice looking M19. I think I have a set of factory target grips if you're interested I'll see if I can dig them up.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC
Let's see a picture.

Nice looking M19. I think I have a set of factory target grips if you're interested I'll see if I can dig them up.

[Linked Image from media.wired.com]

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Here's mine, a S&W Model 19-4.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by pbcaster45
Here's mine, a S&W Model 19-4.

That's a nice one.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Pb, congrats, that's a peach!

MOGC, I would be interested.... Let me know if you can find them.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I was doing some pics for ad stuff and remembered we had a Model 19 thread, so..

Bumping it up!!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I got my 4" S&W 19 around 1971/72 at Norm's Gun Shop in White River Junction, VT. I put it away around the time that I got a 4" S&W 66 in 1994 and haven't shot it since. It has quite a bit of blue wear on the barrel and cylinder from where is rubbed on the leather Hunter belt holster that I carried it and its S&W 18 understudy in. I still have part of a box of Super-Vel ammo that I got at the same time as the S&W 19.

I wish that S&W had made the 696 with a 4" barrel to match the 4" 19/66 size and weight.

Now my preferred .357 MAG revolver is a S&W 620 7-shot, as it kind of splits the difference between the S&W 19 and the 27 weight and size wise.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Love those grips.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My S&W 19. Started off as a 2 1/2 inch. But since I regretted selling of my 3" Lew Horton 66 round butt with full length ejector rod I had it modified about 15 years ago. It now sports a 3" HB off a model 13 with a small rib to accomodate a standard height front sight with a full length ejector rod.

I carry it in either a Bianchi pistol pocket with 125 JHPs or if in the field with the Lost River 170 Keiths in a WWII era Victory shoulder/chest holster.

Last edited by Mike_Dettorre; 06/15/23.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This is my 6 inch M-19, 5 T gunin a Mountain Rose Custom Flap holster. The grips are Ivrox, it shoots 162 grain cast real well.

This is the 4 inch 66, was a 3 swapped out the barrel for a 4 inch. Holster is an Andrews Leather cross draw rig.

Last edited by Rapier; 06/15/23.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rapier
This is my 6 inch M-19, 5 T gunin a Mountain Rose Custom Flap holster. The grips are Ivrox, it shoots 162 grain cast real well.

This is the 4 inch 66, was a 3 swapped out the barrel for a 4 inch. Holster is an Andrews Leather cross draw rig.

Very nice, Rapier. Love the 19 in the flap holster. The 4" 66 looks like a couple I own.

The 19's and 66's are 2 of my favorites. I have a few. 😀

Here's an unfired 19-3.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Recently acquired a really cool 19-5 made in 1982. It belonged to a Houston Police officer who used it for 20 of his 43 year career. Purchased originally from Jim Peters, Texas Ranger company D. I sent it back to S&W last week for a look over and rebluing. The action and trigger were worked over in 1996, it’s simply a work of art.

Last edited by Sakohunter264; 06/19/23.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
Recently acquired a really cool 19-5 made in 1982. It belonged to a Houston Police officer who used it for 20 of his 43 year career. Purchased originally from Jim Peters, Texas Ranger company D. I sent it back to S&W last week for a look over and rebluing. The action and trigger were worked over in 1996, it’s simply a work of art.

A lot of character on a great revolver, there. Congrats. If it checks out mechanically, that will be a great gun.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

A lot of character on a great revolver, there. Congrats. If it checks out mechanically, that will be a great gun.

. My guess is that S&W will do a great job on the reblue, especially once you give them the gun's history.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]]Pair of 19-4[/url]

Pair of 19-4

Who is John Galt?
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by mrfudd

Pair of 19-4
If one's good, two is better. Nice.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by local_dirt

. My guess is that S&W will do a great job on the reblue, especially once you give them the gun's history.

I hope you’re right but I wonder if S&W is capable of doing great bluing jobs these days? The new revolvers coming out of their factory don’t show that they are. I have a model 586 that’s only about 10-12 years old and I’m having it reblued.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mrfudd

Pair of 19-4
If one's good, two is better. Nice.

Very nice!

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
When we had our shop in the 70s my dad wanted a 4" nickel round butt 19. He bought a 2 3/4 or 3, sent it to Smith to have a 4" barrel installed. His favorite gun up until he died whereupon my brother got it and when he passed I made sure his son got it. I got the blue 4" 19-3.
Great guns and almost as cool as the 15s.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm just glad to be old enough to think of the S&W when police trade in M19's are mentioned.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 71 invisible), 3,520 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,379
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.