Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I know I’m a little late to joining the Tikka T1X club, but…

I picked up a 16” bbl’ed .22lr a few weeks back. Mounted an SWFA SS 3-15 in Henneberger HMS Weaver extra low rings on an Area 419 30moa rail, and screwed my Silencerco Sparrow onto it. Looks pretty dang good, feels pretty good, fits nice, etc. The scope is nice and low even with the rail (really like these rings, but not sure about using ‘em on a hard recoiling rifle).q

I was at the deer lease this past weekend working, and I took it with me to sight in and shoot a bit. Clamped it in a BogPod Deathgrip and found a nice sized cactus about 75yds out. Holy crap this thing is quiet with CCI Std Vel ammo! The slap of the bullet hitting the cactus was as loud or louder to my ear than the shot itself!

My son made me some shorter floor plates with his 3D printer for the Tikka mags that lessens the capacity to 6rds. First 6 shot group (after 3-4 shot getting it sighted in) went into about an inch! For shooting off the Bogpod while standing, that’s not bad at all!

To say I’m happy with it is an understatement! Looking forward to wringing it out some more and shooting some longer distances with it!

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
They’re hard to beat. Wish they’d do a HB in a Sako Finnfire range type stock, or even just a HB Finnfire varmint type stock.

Last edited by jackmountain; 03/14/23.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by jackmountain
They’re hard to beat. Wish they’d do a HB in a Sako Finnfire range type stock, or even just a HB Finnfire varmint type stock.

I’d be in like Flynn…

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A range buddy just goes on and on about his.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
mine is one of my favorites to shoot suppressed.. and my 10yrold loves it as well...

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I shot a 222 at 50yds on a USBR target at our small local match on Saturday. I’ve been over 220 in the last 3 matches. I took 3rd behind a custom Vudoo and a tricked out CZ. I have a 12x swfa on mine but the guys are begging me to put more power on top. I don’t know if my scores will go up much but I was looking at the Arken EPL4 6-24 if I decide to try more zoom.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
I shot a 222 at 50yds on a USBR target at our small local match on Saturday. I’ve been over 220 in the last 3 matches. I took 3rd behind a custom Vudoo and a tricked out CZ. I have a 12x swfa on mine but the guys are begging me to put more power on top. I don’t know if my scores will go up much but I was looking at the Arken EPL4 6-24 if I decide to try more zoom.

Good shooting Heath. I've been eyeballing the Tikka's, but am holding out until they make a heavy barreled one, more like a CTR or varmint. Eventually they will make one. The T1x models I've seen have had short barrels and they are extremely light weight rifles. You guys are shooting these lightweight rifles very well. Also, if the guys you shoot with are using high magnification scopes, there is probably a reason for it. I know at my club, we use higher magnification scopes on our 22lr's. We do a lot of fun shoots where we are aiming at very small targets, so a scope with higher magnification and a good reticle is needed/wanted. Even in our golf ball shoots, most of us are running scopes with 14x or higher magnification and that is shot at 50 yards.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Good shooting Heath. I've been eyeballing the Tikka's, but am holding out until they make a heavy barreled one, more like a CTR or varmint. Eventually they will make one. The T1x models I've seen have had short barrels and they are extremely light weight rifles. You guys are shooting these lightweight rifles very well. Also, if the guys you shoot with are using high magnification scopes, there is probably a reason for it. I know at my club, we use higher magnification scopes on our 22lr's. We do a lot of fun shoots where we are aiming at very small targets, so a scope with higher magnification and a good reticle is needed/wanted. Even in our golf ball shoots, most of us are running scopes with 14x or higher magnification and that is shot at 50 yards.

A heavier barrel and more weight would be nice. My T1x is certainly the lightest rifle in our group, the Vudoo in our group weighs 16lbs.

A friend has a 27x scope he’s going to let me test. The bullseye on our usbr target is 1/10”, I just kind of hold towards the middle, lol.

Lapua Pistol King is my match ammo. Norma Tac22 or CCI SV for practice.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

A heavier barrel and more weight would be nice. My T1x is certainly the lightest rifle in our group, the Vudoo in our group weighs 16lbs.

A friend has a 27x scope he’s going to let me test. The bullseye on our usbr target is 1/10”, I just kind of hold towards the middle, lol.

Lapua Pistol King is my match ammo. Norma Tac22 or CCI SV for practice.

Very good. I'm pretty impressed with how these Tikka T1x's shoot, considering how light they are. You really have to work for it though, compared to the guy shooting the 16 pound Vudoo.

That's definitely a small target. I'll bet you will like that 27x scope your buddy is going to let you borrow. I know, some guys are rolling their eyes, but a lot of those guys have never shot this type of competition too.. I was telling Certifiable here the other day that I was using the NF NXS 5.5-22x56 on my Ruger 10-22 at my clubs KYL shoots, because it's just easier to see the 1/4" target. Most guys use higher power scopes at my club too, especially on their 22lr competition rifles. It's not out of the norm..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Tikka T1x with an Athlon Argos BTR 8-34x56 scope on top. Reticle on the Athlon has a T post with an itty bitty dot in the center. Makes it nice for shooting at targets and centering the dot in the bull. Also put it into a Tikka T3 Rouchtech Ember stock for a bit of color and the texture makes it better to handle. Added a trigger spring as well and it has one of the best triggers I've ever shot (aside from my Anschutz bench rifle).

Last edited by CamNWIA; 03/16/23.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got this hennenberg rings too, I put them in my Winchester 7-08, we’ll see how they hold up. I’m using Swfa rings on my t1x with the same are 419 rail and a Swfa 6x. Just need my rimfire suppressor to be approved.
Originally Posted by TXRam
I know I’m a little late to joining the Tikka T1X club, but…

I picked up a 16” bbl’ed .22lr a few weeks back. Mounted an SWFA SS 3-15 in Henneberger HMS Weaver extra low rings on an Area 419 30moa rail, and screwed my Silencerco Sparrow onto it. Looks pretty dang good, feels pretty good, fits nice, etc. The scope is nice and low even with the rail (really like these rings, but not sure about using ‘em on a hard recoiling rifle).q

I was at the deer lease this past weekend working, and I took it with me to sight in and shoot a bit. Clamped it in a BogPod Deathgrip and found a nice sized cactus about 75yds out. Holy crap this thing is quiet with CCI Std Vel ammo! The slap of the bullet hitting the cactus was as loud or louder to my ear than the shot itself!

My son made me some shorter floor plates with his 3D printer for the Tikka mags that lessens the capacity to 6rds. First 6 shot group (after 3-4 shot getting it sighted in) went into about an inch! For shooting off the Bogpod while standing, that’s not bad at all!

To say I’m happy with it is an understatement! Looking forward to wringing it out some more and shooting some longer distances with it!

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
At the price point you will be hard pressed to get a more accurate rifle, I have witnessed several T1X's being used in local matchs and they hold their own, of course like any factory rifle there will be a few that arent as accurate as others.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This is good news! Pick my T1x up Monday. Gotta get glass for it but can’t wait to shoot it. Out of town til Sunday but it arrived at the LGS today.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Originally Posted by jackmountain

I’d be in like Flynn…

I would be too!! Make mine a CTR stock though. I'm not picky.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

A few years ago I shot local BR matches with my LH CZ 452. I don't know if you'd call it tricked out, but I did add pillars and epoxy bedding, Rifle Basix trigger, 24X Weaver.
I won several matches in Factory Class with scores in the high 240s, and usually overlapped the Custom class. Due to advancing age and a move to another state, I thinned the herd and the CZ was sold.

As others have mentioned, I would be interested in a factory .22 with a varmint weight barrel and a stock suitable for target work. A dedicated left hand version would probably be unrealistic, but I'd like it to be ambidextrous, lefty friendly. The classic stock on the CZ American was a handicap, a challenge to shoot well off the bench.

A Tikka T1X LH would be promising, better with a bit more beef.

My son just got a Vudoo. Way out of this old man's league.

Added: I've never considered myself a dedicated BR shooter, but I did make my own wind flags and got fairly good at reading them. You can't get optimal results on target with a .22 without them. Just check out the field at any BR match.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Paul39

A few years ago I shot local BR matches with my LH CZ 452. I don't know if you'd call it tricked out, but I did add pillars and epoxy bedding, Rifle Basix trigger, 24X Weaver.
I won several matches in Factory Class with scores in the high 240s, and usually overlapped the Custom class. Due to advancing age and a move to another state, I thinned the herd and the CZ was sold.

As others have mentioned, I would be interested in a factory .22 with a varmint weight barrel and a stock suitable for target work. A dedicated left hand version would probably be unrealistic, but I'd like it to be ambidextrous, lefty friendly. The classic stock on the CZ American was a handicap, a challenge to shoot well off the bench.

A Tikka TX-1 LH would be promising, better with a bit more beef.

My son just got a Vudoo. Way out of this old man's league.

Added: I've never considered myself a dedicated BR shooter, but I did make my own wind flags and got fairly good at reading them. You can't get optimal results on target with a .22 without them. Just check out the field at any BR match.

We’ve never seen 240’s at our matches. I think 238 has been the highest scoredwith a Winchester 52, 240’s is a monster score.

I tied for 3rd on Saturday and lost the shoot off by 1pt to the same CZ as before. A different CZ took 1st with a 231 and a Remington 40x took 2nd with a 227.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Probably different targets. I'm aware of at least three different sanctioning organizations for .22 BR. The scores I mentioned were shot on the IBS target with a .5" 10 ring. The target I like best has the toughest 10 ring, about .2". I have some, but the organization isn't marked on it, believe it's ARA. I can picture the USBR target, but don't have a sample to measure. Probably a tougher target.

As far as the scores I shot, typically in the low to mid 240s, with 248 my best, a rifle capable of 1/2" at 50 yards can do it. Perfect scores on the IBS target with custom class rifles were pretty common.

I know a guy who shot a perfect 3000 in the state senior games on multiple years. That's 12 targets, 25 shots each, 300 shots without a miss. I'm pretty sure it was the IBS target. Retired SWAT cop. Don't recall his rifle, but IIRC it had a Benchmark barrel.

Last edited by Paul39; 04/12/23.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Here's a link to a Killough Shooting Sports web page with USBR and ARA targets side by side, at the bottom of the page. No measurements given, but it does show a comparative perspective.

https://www.killoughshootingsports.com/ara-rimfire-competition/1069-ara-targets.html

Not being a dedicated BR shooter, I don't know for sure, but I suspect that the various organizations have changed their targets from time to time, and may have different targets for different classes. Pretty confusing.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
It is confusing with the different targets and scores. A guy that shoots with us shoots IBS and ARA and knows the scoring much better.

https://www.amazon.com/Official-Targets-United-States-Bench/dp/B07KBB6QHL?th=1

Those are the USBR targets we shoot. I think the 10 ring is 2mm and the 9 ring is 7mm.

No doubt 240-250 is possible, we are just some red necks banging around with mostly factory classed rifles on homemade benches.

The couple of Anschutz, Vudoo, 49x and 52 that show up are certainly capable of much higher scores than we are seeing.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
My Tikka Tx1 22 LR sets in a Bravo Stock with a Arlen 5x25 scope and I enjoy shooting it out to 400 yards. Our club has several 22 long ranges each year. Shooting a 22 long range is addictive. Enjoy

Last edited by keninva; 04/12/23. Reason: Add a word.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,297
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.