Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The 270 is in a mcmillan compact (edge) and the 280 is in a pacific research (24oz) stock. My favourite is the pacific research.
Thinking perhaps a bansner for the next one, down the road a bit!

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
Very nice !
Needs a longer scope though, to get those mounts in better locations.
Weaver style or Talley style mounts, I'd look at.

Maybe you didn't notice, but the front mount is an extended ring that is allowing the scope back far enough for goode eye relief. Talley rings are not a good looking ring anyhow. I don't want a long over bearing scope on the rifle, this scope is a dandy 3-10X42 with BRX reticle. It will make this gun a shooting contender...

Maybe a shooting contender but on a classic it looks like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....

Last edited by 78CJ; 03/11/23. Reason: class
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by patbrennan
The 270 is in a mcmillan compact (edge) and the 280 is in a pacific research (24oz) stock. My favourite is the pacific research.
Thinking perhaps a bansner for the next one, down the road a bit!

Very good. It's nice to have a variety. Great taste in stocks buddy..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I picked up a 257 Roberts recently. Bought it from a local gent. Really like it so far. I'll try to attach some pics.[img]https://imgur.com/nyt4pEv[/img]

[img]https://imgur.com/552nH0n[/img][img]https://imgur.com/y27kpnb[/img][img]https://imgur.com/efrpTmv[/img][img]https://imgur.com/XVRhv3z[/img]

Last edited by Festus; 03/13/23. Reason: Trying to post some better pics.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Been a long while as I think I am set. That said, a pretty neat Ruger #1 followed me home a few days ago.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Festus
I picked up a 257 Roberts recently. Bought it from a local gent. Really like it so far. I'll try to attach some pics.

Those pics are really grainy and small. I wish some of you guys would use Imgur or postimage. But from what I can see, it looks like a nice rifle. Congrats. Those 257's are harder to come by. I've seen some for sale, but always out of my price range. Often times over $2,500.00..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sqweeler
It's like new 7 digit.Be a while before I can shoot it,can't find brass.
Brothers got New Old Stock WW Brass, Sierra bullets & RCBS Dies leftover from the 70's that he would part with if your interested...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
BobinNH’s son dug up a couple more P64’s Featherweights (270-30-06) Bob had mothballed away. I snagged them both up for my boys.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pretty cool Scotty. Those 270 fwt's are getting harder and harder to find these days.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My uncle gave me this 30-06 last fall.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
20" barrel?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by keystoneben

Nice gift from your uncle. I'm sure it's seen a lot of hunts in it's lifetime. Made in '51.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I saw a pre war (1940) 30-06 today with a cheap axed old bushnell 4x for $650

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If I were buying…..that SS .375 would seriously raise my blood pressure! Nice find! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Pretty cool Scotty. Those 270 fwt's are getting harder and harder to find these days.

We have two of them in the family……my wife (in her previous marriage) bought one for each of her sons!

I picked up one in a .223 Rem. about 15 years ago….nice little rifle! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/15/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by keystoneben

Now that is a cool darned gift! Very awesome Ben.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb

We have two of them in the family……my wife (in her previous marriage) bought one for each of her sons!

The pre 64 model 70 270fwt is damn hard to find. Good score on those buddy. That 223 rem featherweight is one you also don't see much of. There is an XTR FWT 223 rem for sale in the classifieds here. Someone needs to buy that rifle. The closest thing I have is a 22-250 XTR FWT that I bought last year. Dang thing is almost too purty to hunt with. I've taken it to the range a few times, just to check loads and accuracy after glass bedding it. She's a shooter too! Just the way I like them..

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

The pre 64 model 70 270fwt is damn hard to find. Good score on those buddy. That 223 rem featherweight is one you also don't see much of. There is an XTR FWT 223 rem for sale in the classifieds here. Someone needs to buy that rifle. The closest thing I have is a 22-250 XTR FWT that I bought last year. Dang thing is almost too purty to hunt with. I've taken it to the range a few times, just to check loads and accuracy after glass bedding it. She's a shooter too! Just the way I like them..

Wow…..I missed the “Pre 64” part! ☹️ These are just XTR’s…..as is the .223 Rem! Though, there is a “Pre 64”, 264 WM in the family. My wife killed her very first big game animal, a moose, with it. It was her ex husband’s rifle! memtb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Wow…..I missed the “Pre 64” part! ☹️ These are just XTR’s…..as is the .223 Rem! Though, there is a “Pre 64”, 264 WM in the family. My wife killed her very first big game animal, a moose, with it. It was her ex husband’s rifle! memtb

Nothing wrong with a good XTR. I had a beautiful one chambered in 270 win and sold it to 79s here, for his daughters first moose hunt. I think she loves that rifle. It was NIB when I found it, and it was a very early WRA as well. The pre 64 270 fwt's can be much harder to find though, and a lot more expensive. I also had one of those for a while. I got to pick from a private collection. In that collection he had one NIB, and the others were shooters. All original, but still shooter grade rifles. The NIB one was priced at $1,700.00, the one I bought was $1,350.00. I was told by my friend, that was selling them, that if I wanted the best shooter, then buy the one for $1,350.00. So that is what I did. I later sold the stock on ebay for $425.00 and bought a Mcmillan hunter's compact for $350.00 to put on it. The rifle was damn near perfect at that point, but I never really cared for or appreciated the 270 winchester cartridge, so I sent it down the road with no regrets.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Tickled pink over this find at a local show last week. Not a collector rifle, but just a good hunting rifle.Pre 64 70 in 257 Roberts, came with rings, I added the Leupold.
Was an unbelievable price !!!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
174 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 14 invisible), 1,484 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,909
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.