Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
ktk120 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I'm ordering sights for a new build. NEGC banded front and adjustable rear. White/Brass/ or Red Fiber? I was leaning toward the red fiber but wonder if its just too Bright and blooms?

Second question is what size? 3/32 or 1/16?

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If you are actually going to be hunting game with this I'd say white in 3/32

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer white and the bigger bead also.

Last edited by CRS; 03/15/23.

Arcus Venator
K
ktk120 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
This is a 50 B&M Alaskan on a Siamese mauser action but built to look like a model 70 safari. Use will be pigs and maybe some close range deer.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've used white, gold, silver and red fiber to take game. Green fiber shows up better in low light than any of them. The others ain't even close. Regardless of what color you choose, get the 3/32 bead. It will show up better and you can't shoot if you can't see your sight.

IC B2

K
ktk120 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've used white, gold, silver and red fiber to take game. Green fiber shows up better in low light than any of them. The others ain't even close. Regardless of what color you choose, get the 3/32 bead. It will show up better and you can't shoot if you can't see your sight.

I want green but NEGC doesn't seem to list anything in green

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m replacing my front sights with brass posts. I had one on a rifle for a few years and I liked it a lot. I just bought a second and probably with replace most of my lever front sights with brass posts.

Last edited by Bugger; 03/15/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with the gold-colored patridge/post/sourdough.
Townsend Whelen did too.
After melting one fiberoptic front bead with an accidental bit of solvent, I quit using them.
Too fragile.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Townsend Whelen did too.
After melting one fiberoptic front bead with an accidental bit of solvent, I quit using them.
Too fragile.
You do realize the fiber optic is easy to replace right ? All you need is a piece of fiber optic {which is readily available} something to cut it with and a butane lighter.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Townsend Whelen did too.
Too fragile.
You do realize the fiber optic is easy to replace right ? All you need is a piece of fiber optic {which is readily available} something to cut it with and a butane lighter.

I hate fiber optic sights on my guns.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
About 8% of American men are color-blind in various degrees--which means having somebody else recommend an optic bead color might not help. This can also apply to a lesser extent with various metal beads.

Have used a bunch of "iron" sights, and while the flat-topped Patridge or other post can work well, it depends on how far you might shoot. Most hunters today consider non-optical sights for close-range shooting, but have killed a number of big game animals at 200-350 yards with various front sights and an aperture rear. (The 350-yard shot was on a Quebec caribou.)

Have used fiber-optic beads, and while they present a very defined aiming point, have also seen a few knocked off their base. This still leaves something to aim with--maybe, if the light's right. But I also don't generally carry another bead in the field.)

In general gold/copper or silver work well, especially if you a fine file to angle the face of the bead (or even a post) at about 45-degees away from your eye. This not only picks up more light, but eliminates the "hot-spotting" that can occur with a round bead, where a reflected tiny point of light can cause the rifle to impact slightly differently, depending on the angle of the sun, etc. Using a fine file even gives the bead a slight glow, due to light reflecting off the tiny striations in the angled face. (Believe I read this in Townsend Whelen's writings years ago, but it was quite a while ago. It works.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ingwe
If you are actually going to be hunting game with this I'd say white in 3/32

Bingo. My 416 Rem M70 wears that in a Wisner front banded base and his remake of the M70 rear sight. Perfect combo IMO.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jwp475
Townsend Whelen did too.
Too fragile.

Nothing shows up better in low light. Not brass or white or silver not even at a 45 degree angle. I have hunted them all extensively and I can regularly shoot groups under 1" at 50 yards and under 2" at 100 with the fiber optic beads. For years I used ivory beads and killed dozens of deer with them in conjunction with an aperture rear, but since trying the fiber optics I wouldn't have anything else on my iron sighted hunting rifles. I have had no troubles with breakage or solvent dissolving mine.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Townsend Whelen did too.
Too fragile.

Nothing shows up better in low light. Not brass or white or silver not even at a 45 degree angle. I have hunted them all extensively and I can regularly shoot groups under 1" at 50 yards and under 2" at 100 with the fiber optic beads. For years I used ivory beads and killed dozens of deer with them in conjunction with an aperture rear, but since trying the fiber optics I wouldn't have anything else on my iron sighted hunting rifles. I have had no troubles with breakage or solvent dissolving with mine.

I've had the fiber optic sight on handguns and shotguns. Don't mind on a shotgun but did not like Tham on the handgun. Couldn't shoot them as accurately. Would not want on on a my rifle.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
About 8% of American men are color-blind in various degrees--which means having somebody else recommend an optic bead color might not help. This can also apply to a lesser extent with various metal beads.

Have used a bunch of "iron" sights, and while the flat-topped Patridge or other post can work well, it depends on how far you might shoot. Most hunters today consider non-optical sights for close-range shooting, but have killed a number of big game animals at 200-350 yards with various front sights and an aperture rear. (The 350-yard shot was on a Quebec caribou.)

Have used fiber-optic beads, and while they present a very defined aiming point, have also seen a few knocked off their base. This still leaves something to aim with--maybe, if the light's right. But I also don't generally carry another bead in the field.)

In general gold/copper or silver work well, especially if you a fine file to angle the face of the bead (or even a post) at about 45-degees away from your eye. This not only picks up more light, but eliminates the "hot-spotting" that can occur with a round bead, where a reflected tiny point of light can cause the rifle to impact slightly differently, depending on the angle of the sun, etc. Using a fine file even gives the bead a slight glow, due to light reflecting off the tiny striations in the angled face. (Believe I read this in Townsend Whelen's writings years ago, but it was quite a while ago. It works.)

^^^ this^^^

My eye-sight has a problem with certain shades of green vs blue. But I’m not sure that’s my issue with front sights.
The front sight has been an issue of which I’ve tried many alternatives. I believe that the brass post is the best for me. I’ve tried a myriad of different front sights over the years. The sight I like best for target work is the Lyman sight with interchangeable inserts. But for hunting, the brass post is clearly the best for me.

I dislike very much Buckhorn sights. There’s no possible way for me to ever warm up to that sight. The trash can is too good for the buck horn sights.

I much prefer aperture sights in general, though in some situations a shallow V is might be better. I dislike sights that interfere with my grip - so tang sights is “no way”. I will not have them.

Maybe it would be different for pistols, IDK. I have not changed factory revolver sights much, except the Super Black Hawk which has crude sights, in my opinion. The only semi-auto I have, was my dad’s 1911 45. It wears target sights and probably will stay that way. I e primarily used that pistol for target work, never hunting.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Townsend Whelen did too.
Too fragile.

Nothing shows up better in low light. Not brass or white or silver not even at a 45 degree angle. I have hunted them all extensively and I can regularly shoot groups under 1" at 50 yards and under 2" at 100 with the fiber optic beads. For years I used ivory beads and killed dozens of deer with them in conjunction with an aperture rear, but since trying the fiber optics I wouldn't have anything else on my iron sighted hunting rifles. I have had no troubles with breakage or solvent dissolving with mine.

I've had the fiber optic sight on handguns and shotguns. Don't mind on a shotgun but did not like Tham on the handgun. Couldn't shoot them as accurately. Would not want on on a my rifle.

Ditto jpw475,
I hate fiberoptic sights, can barely tolerate them on a shotgun as long as I have replacement kit for field carry,
but only on a rifle until I can replace that fragile plastic bead with something stouter.

Here is the Whelen pronouncement from 1954 GUN DIGEST.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is the choice insert from NECG.
A full 45 degrees forward slant is not required:

[Linked Image]

Here it is on a .458 WM M70 Classic:

[Linked Image]

A similar one on a .416 Dakota M70 Classic:

[Linked Image]

The next best thing:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best ramp is banded and has fold forward hood:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Next best is banded and has a windowed hood with push button fastener:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The grand African .458 WM M70 rear sight was paired originally with a 3/32" silver bead,
and I find that will do.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I really look at iron sights as primarily backup to a scope. A low power scope trumps all.
The M70 African reproduction by Wisner can be filed into a flat-topped, square-notched rear sight,
and used with the gold patridge.
I did that 20 years ago on a .500 A-Square:

[Linked Image]

Hard to beat that, unless it is a peep rear sight with gold patridge front.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Whelen never had the chance to try a fiber optic bead. I had sourdough front sights on rifles 40 years ago and moved on. Have killed deer beyond 200 yards several times and once just beyond 300 yards with a bead front sight and aperture rear. All one shot kills. They seem to work pretty good for some of us.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 42 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,291
Posts18,467,947
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.