Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm often surprised that when guys suggest a barrel, that more of you do not suggest Kidd. Since getting the Kidd barrel on my 10-22, I generally suggest that as a good way to go to others when they ask what barrel to get for their 10-22. The one I have was bought on ebay a couple years ago now for $274.00 new. From the first group fired, I've been very happy with it:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It even shoots the cheap ammo well, which is a huge plus as far as I'm concerned:

What's not to like about a barrel like that? It definitely meets their accuracy guarantee, and my requirements.

I don't shoot my rimfire rifles or pistols much anymore, as I'm generally messing with my centerfire stuff after glass bedding and accurizing and working up loads for my new rifles. One thing I've been wanting to do is test some ammo I bought last year. A lot of this ammo was old manufacture match ammo that I got from a local store here. it seems like they always have match grade 22lr on the shelf. Ammo I've never seen before and wanted to see how it shot in this rifle. I finally got around to testing it and here are the results. I shot according to the Z challenge from day at the range, which is a fun shoot. First targets I'll show are the 20 round groups from "seasoning" the barrel for each type of ammo with the Z challenge targets:

First up is the SK match gold:

Second up is Wolf match target:

Third up is Wolf match extra:

And last up is some old Federal gold medal match that was made in 1992:

To say this barrel is not finicky is a gross understatement. One reason I always suggest Kidd, when guys ask what barrel they should look at buying. Now, according to the rules of the Z challenge day at the range shoot, you had to season the barrel with 20 rounds before you shoot the actual target for score. I found that to be a waste of half a box of ammo with this barrel. However, I have seen some rifles react to different brands of ammo, where you really needed to season the barrel with each different type of ammo. For some reason this one is not affected much by switching brands. Some of this ammo is lubed generously and some of this ammo was not lubed, or the lube was so old that it was like a powdered graphite or chalky consistency:

The old SK match gold was a good example of that^^^^ The other day I shot some of the Norma Tac 22 and it also seemed to shoot very well out of this barrel. I was wondering if any of you here have shot the Z challenge and if so, what did you use? If not, I'd suggest you try it. It's a lot of fun and it got me out shooting this 22lr again. Check it out, you might have some fun:

Also, let me know what you think of Kidd barrels or if you have a different brand that shoots better or just as good, post it up. Thanks for looking! The weather is slowly getting better, hopefully some of you are able to get out there and shoot. Give this Z challenge a try. If you go to their website, they have these targets you can print off. Good luck with it and if you do shoot it, post up results. This isn't a challenge or call out, just a good way to get out there and do some shooting. Take care guys..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
On the build I just finished, I went with a Feddersen barrel, 16.5" bull, threaded. I'm sure it's more accurate than me but not sure how they compare to Kidd. They are less expensive for sure. Good shooting and good photos.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I bought one and put it on one of my 10/22's but have not really played with it yet. Just done enough to say the scope is on.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Volquartsen works for me

Fück Joe byron
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
Volquartsen works for me
X2, I've found the difference between the Volquartsen winning or the Kidd winning depends on which ammo I'm shooting that day. Why are neither of these recommended as often? Because they cost more than the gun and most people are good enough with a barrel costing half that. How many plinkers really need a .44" group vs a .75" group or spend the money for match ammo? A Green Mountain barrel will do well enough with the bulk box these see and leave budget money for a trigger kit.

That being said, the Beyer factory taper barrel is my favorite. It weighs a fourth of the Kidd barrel while being nearly as accurate for the same price.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
BSA- I’ll give this a go today.

Kidd receiver/bolt/trigger- but lilja barrel. Will report back

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have no buyers remorse whatsoever with my Kidd barrel & the all Kidd rifle it's attached to.

18" heavy.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have two lightweights, highly recommend.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mornin, BSA 1917!! Glad your on here! Watch your U tube channel all the time. You, Cyclops, & Insearch of precision Josh I think. Good info from guys who tell it like it is, no BS!!! That's hard to find nowadays !!! Keep it up. GWP. 🐾👣🐾👣👍🏻

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My Green Mountain Sporter shoots about like that.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive got a KSA bull barrel on my build, cut down to 18” and threaded. Paid $275 for the complete donor rifle I pulled it from. Shoots SK Standard and Wolf in the 0.3”s and CCI standards at 1/2” consistently. Those are 5 shots at 50, I’ve yet to try 10 shot groups. I’m satisfied with my cheap build.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
BSA…I’ve a full KIDD build I put together a while ago. You are correct about it not being terribly sensitive to ammo.

Mine shoots several varieties well and seems to love aguilla SV, which prompted me to acquire a gaggle of it back when it was about 225 a case. There will be the odd flyer with that ammo but the 8 or 9 out of 10 are usually nice and tight

I have a fair variety of rimfires to choose from and I can tell you the KIDD more often than not comes along.

It’s got a respectable round count and that’s going nowhere but up.it simply does not ever fail to feed fire or eject. Ever.

If lubed up and given a chance it will hang pretty damn well with some high falootin rifles.

It is without a doubt one of my favorite rimfires. A surgical brass spitting machine!

Crappy pic but….

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by robertham1
BSA- I’ll give this a go today.

Kidd receiver/bolt/trigger- but lilja barrel. Will report back

Awesome Robert. You are a shooter my friend. I expect you'll do very well..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GWPGUY
Mornin, BSA 1917!! Glad your on here! Watch your U tube channel all the time. You, Cyclops, & Insearch of precision Josh I think. Good info from guys who tell it like it is, no BS!!! That's hard to find nowadays !!! Keep it up. GWP. 🐾👣🐾👣👍🏻

Oh, I'm not the guy on the youtube video I posted. He is the one that came up with the "Z challenge" shoot though. I watch him quite frequently. He keeps guys shooting with different shoots. He's always fun to watch. Sorry if there was any confusion on this guys.. I will agree with you on the no bs part though. Keeping it real my friend..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Certifiable
BSA…I’ve a full KIDD build I put together a while ago. You are correct about it not being terribly sensitive to ammo.

Mine shoots several varieties well and seems to love aguilla SV, which prompted me to acquire a gaggle of it back when it was about 225 a case. There will be the odd flyer with that ammo but the 8 or 9 out of 10 are usually nice and tight

I have a fair variety of rimfires to choose from and I can tell you the KIDD more often than not comes along.

It’s got a respectable round count and that’s going nowhere but up.it simply does not ever fail to feed fire or eject. Ever.

If lubed up and given a chance it will hang pretty damn well with some high falootin rifles.

It is without a doubt one of my favorite rimfires. A surgical brass spitting machine!

Crappy pic but….

Very nice rifle buddy. Pretty sweet set up you got. I almost went that route, but built it on the cheap instead. I know you are also one that shoots a lot. I can't wait to see how that NF I sold you does on your rifle. Keep me posted my friend!!

BSA MAGA
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
All this talk of shooting 10-22's has peaked my interest in pulling mine back out. Built one from parts and put a Green Mountain fluted sporter barrel on it. That one loves Norma Tac 22's. Gave it to my son for him and kids to use.
The one I still have is one of the old stainless full stock models. Was not a very exceptional shooter until I rebuilt it. Used a Green Mountain heavy fluted barrel on this one and it really came alive. The barrel was one of Green Mountains "seconds" I bought around 2002 and it shoots very small groups with the old Golden Eagle Target. Paid a whopping $80 for the barrel. It does have a lot of Volquartsen parts in it.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have never tried one. My one and only "custom" 10-22 barrel is a Green Mountain 20" sporter. A 2-7X Weaver rimfire scope at 50 yards. Only five shot groups though...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EdM
I have never tried one. My one and only "custom" 10-22 barrel is a Green Mountain 20" sporter. A 2-7X Weaver rimfire scope at 50 yards. Only five shot groups though...

That's a damn good shooter Ed. I like the deluxe models. I had one in stainless just like yours, but one of my friends wanted it more than I did.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I went out again today and the Federal Gold Medal Match ammo won out over the rest. That ammo shoots very well for ammo that was made in 1992:

The sun was in my damn eyes. I'm thinking when I'm not straining to see the target, my times will go down by another 5 seconds:

I wish I could have bought another brick or 2 of this ammo:

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I didn’t time myself, as I only had one mag, but I went as fast as I could. I learned a few things. TAC MATCH shoots poorly from this rifle, Prime shoots poorly from this rifle, and while I know wolf shoots well, the groups show that the challenge is harder than it seems, of I should take more time. I’ll also add the excuse of weather… it certainly was windy!

I’d only shot this 10/22 twice before, and it shot very well with CCI SV, and Wolf/SK.

I’d had a brick of Prime .22 I’ve had laying around for a few years and thought I’d work on getting rid of it. It never shot well from any rifle, I recall, but sheesh this was bad. I’m not sure what happened but the picture of the TAC MATCH is gone. I brought a box of UM22, but had to get home to start the corned beef.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

712 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 69 invisible), 3,513 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,379
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.