Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I was stationed in Germany and would see Roe deer everywhere. All over the Air Force base and the surrounding fields especially. About like riding around farmland in Virginia.

BP-B2

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by blairvt
I was stationed in Germany and would see Roe deer everywhere. All over the Air Force base and the surrounding fields especially. About like riding around farmland in Virginia.
I think they’re cool little deer.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by LBP
they are. I even saw a video of Germans I think hunting them with huge Falcons. They could take one down

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by LBP
they are. I even saw a video of Germans I think hunting them with huge Falcons. They could take one down
I’m gonna have to google that, awesome. So what country is the premier destination for roe bucks?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am not sure I'd say there is a 'premiere' destination for roe deer, simply because they live all over Europe and have been hunted all over there. If I had to guess I'd say France or Spain but that is just my thoughts.

I hunted them in England because I think it is neat how they were associated with British aristocracy and have been an important species to hunt by the crown for centuries. They don't seem to grow as big there as mainland Europe though, I suppose due to the Island biological effect.

IC B2

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I’ve done some googling that pretty much confirmed this as well T, although a few articles mentioned Hungary as one of the best countries for them.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
LBP: What country would you most like to visit? What about your wife or anyone else??

I loved Poland, would love to Hunt and visit Romania, If I was going now, I'd PROBABLY take the wife to France and Spain and try to get a day or two hunt there,
Somewhere where I'm hunting and she's not sitting in camp or not having a good time.....

As far as "Premier" what;s the best state to hunt Whitetail?? If you lived in China and were coming to the US to hunt Whitetail, where would you go???

Roe is similar, so many places to hunt and so many culturally diverse destinations.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

That was my experience too. I killed a couple of them while hunting with German friends. I don't think I took pictures of the deer but somewhere I have pictures of a much younger me with a few hogs. I shot them all with a 30-06 and 180gr bullets. I almost felt sorry for the roe deer. One was only 20yds away and the other one might have been 40yds. The first one was small and I carried it halfway up the ladder of the high seat and let it drain out while I continued to hunt.

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
LBP, you seem pretty torn on where to go, which is a good thing in ways.

If it makes a difference, some places include their countries' tax into the hunt price and other's don't. Keep that in mind and ask any outfitters that you're interested in. One outfit I was looking at in Italy didn't include it in their base price, and it was (IIRC) a 21% tax that you had to pay. Same with Austria.

I wouldn't rule out Scandanavia, though I haven't looked at prices or any outfits for Roe there. I am going on a Capercaillie and black cock (Ha! I am not sure I'll be able to NOT laugh and make jokes) hunt in Sweden in 2025 and they seem to have a thriving hunting industry as well.

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I hadn’t thought about the government tax that’s definitely something to figure in.

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I loved hunting them in Poland on a red stag hunt. Great country, people, and hunting.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/European-Hunter/Lloyd-Newberry/9780979485343

Buy the book, It covers all of EUrope, a few years ago, a lot of bird hunting; big game as well. Realize things, governments, permits, etc change, but it's a great read.

Also, he lives about a hour from me, so I contacted him and got my copy autographed.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Great thread. Thanks to all!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Great thread. Thanks to all!
Definitely, thanks everyone!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunted them once in Romania with Horia of Unforgettable hunting and had a great time. I love hunting these little deer and really need to again soon. I would post pics but all my files are too large and don't have them parked anywhere other than apple cloud.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
LBP, did you ever book a hunt somewhere?

If only hunting roe buck matters to you, and you don't care about other critters, language barriers, cost (within reason), or whatever else, I'd book with Horia and be done with it. I wouldn't call references or do anything else. Just PM him here, get a day/time set in stone and get a deposit sent.

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
T, I haven’t yet but hope to soon.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I have only hunted them in Germany. Mostly within an hour and a half drive of Frankfurt. They are fun to hunt and as mentioned hunting season for them opens in spring. Beautiful time of the year to hunt them. They bark in a way that very much resembles a dog. In fact the first time I heard one bark I thought it was a dog. My guide assured me is a a roe deer and that others would start barking shortly. Sure enough soon a small male came into a clearing and began barking. Would not have believed it if I’d not send and heard it myself.

They are excellent table fare. Many gasthaus especially in the more rural areas often serve roe. The neck slow roasted in an oven is excellent especially served with potatoes and a salad.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I went to Romania my connecting flight was in Munich and didn't have any problems. There is paperwork to fill out beforehand which is pretty much true for any international hunt. Romania has some strict policies about how much ammo and tracking expended rounds. You definitely want to make sure all daypacks or rucks are thoroughly cleared out beforehand because even a errant empty cartridge case can cause you major problems. Just be very thorough and you will be fine.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have the opportunity to hunt them in France and I plan to try to make it next year. Should be a fun trip.

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,069 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.