Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I took 3 guns out today to pattern them. I forgot my rest and shot these off hand at 40 yards.

First up, my new old New Haven 600AT (Mossberg 500) with C-Lect choke. This is the same make and model ghun I used when I first started turkey hunting in the 80s. Back then, I used whatever shell I had on hand. Usually a high brass #4 or #6 shell. Back then there really wasn't any specialized turkey load. Back then, I patterned my gun on a piece of cardboard stuck in an old tire at 40 paces. So I decided to pattern this gun with shells similar to what I used back then.

The gun:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The choke:

40 yards with 2 3/4" Winchester Super X #4 1 1/4oz 1220fps

40 yard with 2 3/4" Federal Hi Bird #6 1 1/4oz 1330fps

Not great at 40 yards. But a hit can kill and it does hit.

And with 3" Winchester Long Beard XR #5 1 3/4oz 1200fps

Back in the early 80s, this was pretty average.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 03/16/23.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The a more modern gun with a special turkey choke. My new Browning BPS 12 gauge with a Patternmaster Code Black .665.

The gun:

The choke:

3" Winchester Long Beard XR #5 1 3/4oz 1200fps

3" Winchester Long Beard XR #6 1 3/4oz 1200fps

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I tried my Browning Citori White Lightning 12 gauge. With a Browning Full choke in the top barrel and an XFull in the bottom barrel.

The gun:

The chokes:

3" Winchester Long Beard #6:

I wasn't terribly happy with this. I was shooting offhand, no rest, and pulled a tad to the left. It's a killing pattern but nowhere near as tight as the BPS.

Also, I shot the gun at at 10, 20, and 30 yards to see where each barrel hits in relation to each other. With chokes this tight, you can see the how they coinverge at 40 yards. The overall regulation is very good. The top barrel hits at point of aim. The bottom barrel a little higher the closer the target is. So if I were to use the gun for turkey hunting, I'd use the XF in the top barrel, and the slightly more forgiving full choke in the bottom barrel.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 03/16/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for sharing your results there. Very interesting to see. I'm glad to see hear the regulation is good on the Citori but isn't surprising. As someone from the younger generation, it's really eye opening seeing patterns from those old lead shells that were the big thing back pre-2000s. I never hunted with those type of shells or done any patterning with them. I started right out with Hevi-13 and then went to tss. So it's just interesting to see and makes you appreciate advances in shotshell technology.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Your 12 gauge White Lightning is the big, big brother to my 28 gauge White Lightning. Did you try the 600AT with any "modern" shells? Figured you'd post if you did, just curious...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Picture # 6 is a Longbeard XR shell pattern thru the 600AT.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
The a more modern gun with a special turkey choke. My new Browning BPS 12 gauge with a Patternmaster Code Black .665.

The gun:

The choke:

3" Winchester Long Beard XR #5 1 3/4oz 1200fps

3" Winchester Long Beard XR #6 1 3/4oz 1200fps

Nice Browning. That thing is a sledge hammer. I'd be using that one.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Now that you point it out, I see it! Lol!

Agree with using the BPS as it is in the pics.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Neat comparisons !!!!

BPS for the win, all the way !!! But, most likely they'd ALL git r done if you were careful.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
BPS for sure,
Back in the day when I shot 12 ga and lead, the best I ever found was Active shells.
Back then, we did not shoot paper targets, we set a soup can on a post and if you could knock it off, you were good to go....Now I cringe thinking about patterning a gun that way.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm not terribly staisfied with the Citori patterns. I'm confident I could have done better. I want to take it out again with the XFull in the top and the Full in the bottom and shoot it off a rest to take my wobble out of the picture. I pulled a bit left off hand. I think given the nature of barrel regulation, the more open, more forgiving choke needs to be on bottom.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Amazing the patterns we hunted in the 80s and 90s. Would be disgusted with them today

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Maybe we'd be disgusted with the patterns... but we killed birds with them! That being said, is ignorance truly bliss?! Lol!

NRA life member

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Amazing the patterns we hunted in the 80s and 90s. Would be disgusted with them today
I still shoot a lot of the same patterns other than in my 24" barreled Gold that has to be choked to get a pattern worth a hoot.

Actually last year I hunted with a load that is old school and while it's not a numbers load it is a very even, forgiving pattern.

41 measured yards. Last year my hunting spot was an area where a 30 yard shot is going ro be long due to extra thick brush. If my gun would shoot a pattern worth a dang with a regular full that's the choke I would use. This combo is as near a full choke as I can get. Any other shell is too tight or any other load is terrible so this is my "shorter" range combo.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not terribly staisfied with the Citori patterns. I'm confident I could have done better.

Why not screw that Patternmaster tube in your Citori and have a go ??

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Invector Plus vs Invector?

NRA life member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A newer Citori White Lightning should have Inv+ as well.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan

Maybe your patterns, but I always used the ammo that the gun liked. Generally Federal turkey ammo with flight control wads worked exceptionally well. We even used some heavy 4 and 6 shot loads, but the patterns were not nearly as good. Always used extra full turkey chokes that were ported and that made a difference. I guess it all depends on what you had access to at the time, but I never limited myself with a poor azz shooting gun. I think the old Fox Sterlingworth (made in 1910) would also surprise a lot of you guys complaining about what you didn't have back in the 90's..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by GuideGun
A newer Citori White Lightning should have Inv+ as well.

Maybe not the BPS...

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yoder409
I'm not terribly staisfied with the Citori patterns. I'm confident I could have done better.

Why not screw that Patternmaster tube in your Citori and have a go ??

I could do that. The Citori is Invector Plus, too. The pattern densities I think are fine. I pulled left on one shot. I want to restack the chokes and fire a few more rounds off a rest. And I want to try LB #5 as well.

But it's a killing pattern at 40 yards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,686
Posts18,399,755
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.