Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I have a V4 in 4–16 X 50 that I got from red hawk. The glass clarity is amazing and I’m thoroughly impressed with the light gathering. To Mayeye – and I know it’s subjective – but to my eye it is clearer and brighter than my Leupold VX5 and my Trijicon Credo X. In fact, the glass clarity to Mayeye is on par with my Schmidt and bender polar.

I’m ready to get another scope but wondering if I should spring for the V-6 this time? I know this is personal and subjective but my number one priority is light gathering. The V-6 lists a higher light transmission but I take that with a grain of salt. Don’t fully trust manufactures specs on that. The V4 is a 4X magnification range which to me should be more conducive to light transmission than a 6X range. Not sure if the coatings on the V-6 bring like transmission in favor of that model.

I am more than happy with the clarity of the V4, but looking for any edge in light gathering for hunting hogs in the south through the midnight hour. Maybe BobbyTomek will give thoughts, here.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Any thoughts?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would go with what fits you and your budget. If happy with a v4 why spend extra.

You are correct on your light transmission assumption that it may be suspect. All those numbers are generated by instruments measure light of various colors and spectrum. So who knows what it is for whatever lighting condition you are using.

Spence

Last edited by spence1875; 03/20/23.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am just a hunter, not an optics or gear-testing expert. Comparing a V4 4-16x50 side-by-side to a V6 3-18x50, both set at the same actual magnification, I can get about 2-3 minutes of extra shooting time with the V6 at sunset. By that I mean I can see/distinguish antler tines for an extra 2-3 minutes while the sun sets and the woods grow dark with the V6 over the V4. In other words, to my eye, the V6 does have better light transmission over the V4. That's a small practical difference, though, and I am not sure if that slight difference matters to anyone, nor how that would translate to hog hunting at night. JMHO, and every ones' eyes are different.

I can say that I prefer the 3-18 magnification range of the V6 over the 4-16 range of the V4, but the V4 is still a very nice general purpose hunting scope.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had a 3-18 V6 for a short time 3-4 years ago. I don’t remember the glass having a “wow” factor better than anything else I’d tried at the time. Sold it cause I needed illumination and wanted Mil adjustments.

From what I’ve seen out of the V4 line in recent years, I’m not convinced that the V6 is $800-$1000 better unless Zeiss has updated/upgraded the V6 since my sample of one.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for this insight, everyone.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have owned both. Still own a V6. Glass clarity is very good on both. Slight edge to the V6. But splitting hairs. From what I can tell however, the V6 appears to be a better constructed scope, and that matters far more than minor glass nuances. The V6 is German and the V4 Japanese. Clicks are more solid. Tracking is spot on. Everything about it feels more solid. This site seems to place far more importance on glass than is necessary, IMO. Folks here seem to critique glass qualities and rarely discuss mechanical integrity. That’s absolutely backwards, imo. No animal is going to get shot or not shot because of the glass differences between the V4 and V6.

All that said, I don’t really trust either one thoroughly and treat them with kid gloves, which bothers me. I haven’t seen anything that shows any current model Zeiss hold up to impact well. Even their big bucks LRP failed Form’s drop test miserably and totally fell apart. I’ll likely replace my V6 soon enough. It’s certainly no Nightforce. I need scopes I trust completely. My hunting time is too important.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 03/20/23.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
I have owned both. Still own a V6. Glass clarity is very good on both. Slight edge to the V6. But splitting hairs. From what I can tell however, the V6 appears to be a better constructed scope, and that matters far more than minor glass nuances. The V6 is German and the V4 Japanese. Clicks are more solid. Tracking is spot on. Everything about it feels more solid. This site seems to place far more importance on glass than is necessary, IMO. Folks here seem to critique glass qualities and rarely discuss mechanical integrity. That’s absolutely backwards, imo. No animal is going to get shot or not shot because of the glass differences between the V4 and V6.

All that said, I don’t really trust either one thoroughly

and treat them with kid gloves, which bothers me. I haven’t seen anything that shows any current model Zeiss hold up to impact well. Even their big bucks LRP failed Form’s drop test miserably and totally fell apart. I’ll likely replace my V6 soon enough. It’s certainly no Nightforce. I need scopes I trust completely. My hunting time is too important.

SD, Will you likely replace that with a night force?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MosesTucker

and treat them with kid gloves, which bothers me. I haven’t seen anything that shows any current model Zeiss hold up to impact well. Even their big bucks LRP failed Form’s drop test miserably and totally fell apart. I’ll likely replace my V6 soon enough. It’s certainly no Nightforce. I need scopes I trust completely. My hunting time is too important.

Probably. Perhaps a March. Jury is still out. If you can handle a few extra ounces the NF NXS 3-15x50 is a no brainer compared to that V6. Similar cost, better in every regard that matters, except weight.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

All that said, I don’t really trust either one thoroughly and treat them with kid gloves, which bothers me. I haven’t seen anything that shows any current model Zeiss hold up to impact well. Even their big bucks LRP failed Form’s drop test miserably and totally fell apart. I’ll likely replace my V6 soon enough. It’s certainly no Nightforce. I need scopes I trust completely. My hunting time is too important.

+1

I go directly to the easy button now days. For me, it’s Night Force for hunting or range.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The place where Zeiss beats NF is in their normal duplex/4A style 6 non illlum or 60 illuminated reticle. To me for hunting they are better reticles than anything NF offers, not taking about LR target shooting or sniper wannabes, just for hunting at normal, say 600 and in, ranges.

NF sells a great #4 in Europe, but won’t sell it here.

Spence

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by spence1875
The place where Zeiss beats NF is in their normal duplex/4A style 6 non illlum or 60 illuminated reticle. To me for hunting they are better reticles than anything NF offers, not taking about LR target shooting or sniper wannabes, just for hunting at normal, say 600 and in, ranges.

NF sells a great #4 in Europe, but won’t sell it here.

Spence
I don’t disagree if all you want is simple, but that’s also where you can get the Forceplex in the SHV line.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like my V4’s. A 6X zoom seems like a lot, but I am only surmising. Seems like as zoom ratios go up, other optical properties suffer…? At least 10-15 years ago that was true, haha.

Being a Jap build is a GOOD thing; they come out of LOW in Japan, just like NF. The Japanese do not screw around.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MosesTucker

OP, if you are "WOWED" by the V4 glass, you'll schidt yourself the first time you look through a Nightforce. I have a sample of one V4 and it sucks in comparison, even when compared to NF's bottom of the barrel SHV. I like my V4, but it is not worth the money they charge for them. Thankfully I did not pay retail, but waited on a repair that turned in to a replacement because they do not make the old Conquest anymore. That replacement took 6 months to get too, so think about that one for a bit. I also don't trust the Zeiss to hold up as well as a NF in real world use either. I do not like their zero stop feature. It feels very cheap to me. I was messing with setting it the other day and it's just cheap plastic, and slips. So it's not a real solid feeling zero stop. The one positive I can say about the V4 is it tracks well and returns to zero very well. Glass is on par with my cheap azzed Burris FFII's.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That’s not my experience. My V4’s are better optically than my early 3-10 SHV and my NSX 5.5-22.

It’s very possible NF has upgraded their glass. But for a long time there, you bought NF in spite of the glass, not because of it.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
That’s not my experience. My V4’s are better optically than my early 3-10 SHV and my NSX 5.5-22.

It’s very possible NF has upgraded their glass. But for a long time there, you bought NF in spite of the glass, not because of it.

I have owned one SHV scope 3-10x42 and no V4's other than what I looked thru at SW. That SHV might be one rugged scope but optics are not its strong point for sure. For a scope that costs 1k no RTZ is a deal breaker as well. NF and V4 made in the same freaking plant by Japanese workers.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Being made in the same plant (LOW) is a good place to start, but by no means does it imply that they are the same quality. LOW builds scopes to spec for many manufacturers. Some are built like tanks and some aren’t. Some have high end glass and some do not. Other than the name on the door, there is very little similar between the Zeiss V4 and a Nightforce.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I have owned one SHV scope 3-10x42 and no V4's other than what I looked thru at SW. That SHV might be one rugged scope but optics are not its strong point for sure. For a scope that costs 1k no RTZ is a deal breaker as well. NF and V4 made in the same freaking plant by Japanese workers.

The other SHV models do have a zero stop. The 3-10 has capped turrets. Most scopes with capped dials lack a zero stop.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

The other SHV models do have a zero stop. The 3-10 has capped turrets. Most scopes with capped dials lack a zero stop.

How much trouble would it had been for NF to make a non capped turret for it?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

How much trouble would it had been for NF to make a non capped turret for it?
Im sure if they did then all the guys who want a capped turret would cry foul! Can’t please everyone. My guess is NF figured they have many other options with exposed turrets, so they made this one capped for those who are mostly non dialers. But to answer your question I’m sure it’s not as easy as it seems. I’d love that option too, selfishly. But it’s not a deal breaker for me. I just make it a habit of keeping my eye on it when the cap is in my pocket.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 03/21/23.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
245 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,656 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.