Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
This happened today. I will add a few more pics and info...on my phone so 1 at a time it will be!

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
GB1

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Saved the chip. Measured with a calipers it is .2 deep

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
So I had the rifle bedded, just picked it up today. There was a crack there before, I was hoping the bedding would help relieve the recoil. So a few questions, is this repairable? I am an amateur woodworker so I am not afraid to glue the chip back in. I am just afraid if it happened once it may happen again? This stock is on a BRNO Mauser, and obviously came from a different rifle. Chambering is 338-06, so has some recoil.
Or would you just scrap the stock? I got the gun for 325, so I am not opposed to putting it in a Boyds.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Totally repairable. Use Acraglass -- the thin stuff rather than the gel.

NRA Endowment Member
Bolt&Barrel Gunsmithing, Greenwood, SC
www.boltandbarrel.com
U. S. Army Veteran
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Easy fix. I would use Elmers Titebond, clamp it sufficiently to not squeeze out all the glue, let it dry. Sand any small imperfections lightly . Take the action out of the rifle and relieve the wood a bit at the point so the action isn't driven back into it in recoil

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Sheister
Easy fix. I would use Elmers Titebond, clamp it sufficiently to not squeeze out all the glue, let it dry. Sand any small imperfections lightly . Take the action out of the rifle and relieve the wood a bit at the point so the action isn't driven back into it in recoil

Exactly!!!!!

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
this

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I agree on the easy fix and relieving behind the tang... but it is really important IMO to bed it properly. That is a bedding issue.

And I would not use anything but epoxy. There is more than enough oil in the wood to cause problems and therefore I would use the best glue. I have zero problem using Elmer's Titebond on fresh clean wood.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sheister

Except use epoxy, not white glue.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Elmers is not Titebond.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
#1. Fire the Ten Thumbed POS who calls himself a ...................
I just can't even say gun smith thinking about your bedding job!

How can anyone have bedded that gun and not addressed the problem.
Especially not relieved the tang on a Mauser?

Do not take it to him.

PS. Not a Smith myself. Just a DIY hack.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Use a good 2-part, clear, medium to slow cure epoxy - not Marine Tex or steel bed or any other bedding material. The epoxy is much more viscous and will flow and fill every crevice, penetrate into the pores of the wood.

Make sure the stock and chip bare wood areas are cleaned well with lacquer thinner. Let dry and repeat. Let dry and then drill some small holes in the stock first - and if possible a couple in the chip - liberally apply epoxy to both, using toothpick ensure the holes are filled - press fit together wiping the excess off with a rag dampened with lacquer thinner to clean off excess epoxy. Tightly wrap several times around with masking tape and do not touch it until completely CURED.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
Use a good 2-part, clear, medium to slow cure epoxy - not Marine Tex or steel bed or any other bedding material. The epoxy is much more viscous and will flow and fill every crevice, penetrate into the pores of the wood.

Make sure the stock and chip bare wood areas are cleaned well with lacquer thinner. Let dry and repeat. Let dry and then drill some small holes in the stock first - and if possible a couple in the chip - liberally apply epoxy to both, using toothpick ensure the holes are filled - press fit together wiping the excess off with a rag dampened with lacquer thinner to clean off excess epoxy. Tightly wrap several times around with masking tape and do not touch it until completely CURED.

The above is the best fix.

The tang shouldn't have any contact with the stock or the same thing will happen again. The back of the recoil lug is what should be taking the load...nothing else.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Clemson
Totally repairable. Use Acraglass -- the thin stuff rather than the gel.
Failing that, use a good 2-ton epoxy - clamped tight for 24-36 hours.. I would also 'pin' it as well, after the epoxy is fully set.. The two pin sizes I used was 3/32 or 1/8"... I'd use the latter for your stock...

YMMV...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Common deal.
Easy fix and then back to shootin.

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks guys! Got some 2 ton epoxy and will repair with that

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If the epoxy you choose seems a bit thick, warming it with a hair dryer can help. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Craigster
Elmers is not Titebond.

You're probably right about that, but I use Elmer's woodworking glue and Titebond pretty much interchangeably in my woodworking projects. Both are excellent... I use them on a lot of stock repairs also, but in this case if the wood isn't fresh and clean the epoxy is the better material as has been stated...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Why not use superglue?

Medics bury their mistakes..
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dinny
Why not use superglue?

Because you want a permanent repair.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

624 members (06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,244
Posts18,447,933
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.