Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pal
Nice gift Leighton!

Have had scallops prepared in many different ways. But the best I ever ate were eaten raw, right from the shell, after having just pried them off their rock, seawater still dripping off my wetsuit.
You must be thinking of abalone... scallops are free-swimmers. They drag a bunch of chains along the bottom to scare them up so the trawl can scoop them.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from thumbs.gfycat.com][Linked Image from 64.media.tumblr.com]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Woo! She scored big time!

I have a stupid question about scallops. I've bought them frozen at Costco etc. and have pretty much liked them, considering I just pan sear them in butter, with some S & P. They get pretty firm.

But we went to, what you would call, an "up and coming", high end, lake country restaurant/bar and the special was scallops (4) on a bed of wild rice for $42.

I thought "what the hell, might as well see what scallops are supposed to taste like..."

Those things were nasty!

Mushy, fishy and just plain awful. I ate one and couldn't do another. The wild rice was good though. smile

Is that the way they are supposed to be???
They should be sweet and slightly firm, cooked rare - a little translucent inside.

Sounds like they were old or not store properly.

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like I cook them the right way.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I have a stupid question about scallops. I've bought them frozen at Costco etc. and have pretty much liked them, considering I just pan sear them in butter, with some S & P. They get pretty firm.

But we went to, what you would call, an "up and coming", high end, lake country restaurant/bar and the special was scallops (4) on a bed of wild rice for $42.

I thought "what the hell, might as well see what scallops are supposed to taste like..."

Those things were nasty!

Mushy, fishy and just plain awful. I ate one and couldn't do another. The wild rice was good though. smile

They should be sweet and slightly firm, cooked rare - a little translucent inside.

Given Rooster's experience I'd have probably sent them back and asked for chicken.

Old, not stored properly, or perhaps some nasty sting ray? Scallops are not supposed to taste fishy.

Then again................Rooster's in MN and anything more "flavorful" than walleye or perch bothers some of those Midwesterners. grin

Ya you betcha! smile

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great thread, KG. Kudos to your wife.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Good things happen to good people! Save some for June!

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by hillestadj
I'm jelly. Never been in a position to get sick of scallops due to them being hyper available. I'm confident I could knock them out inside 6 months, ha.

Yep, same here. As mentioned, locally we have fisheries for both bay and sea scallops. A few pics of both types from local outings. First couple of pics are with friends who dive recreationally for both lobsters and scallops. Here's a good sized one, but some get significantly larger.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Anatomy of a sea scallop.

The boys with a few of the bushels taken that day in Salem sound (MA).

I don't dive, so I just acted as boat tender in board that day, trying to hook a bluefish or bass while on top. I shucked too. Sadly, some of the catch brought up were 'lost overboard' while the lads were back down poking around on the bottom. wink

A few bay scallop pics from the Cape to follow.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Dang KG...

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Trawling for bays. Significantly smaller than seas, but usually much sweeter. Seasonal here. In season they can bring $35 pp.

A guest deckhand some here might recognize.

Couple trawls' worth of these beauties.

Magic lies inside.

A freshly made batch ready to get torn up by the three of us. They are unbelievably sugary. About 2 seconds after this pic was taken, one of the skipper's hunting beagles launched onto the table and ate about half the plate of piping hot bays before Mike came out to grab her by the collar and toss her across the room. True story.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Dude.
Ate a bunch of their relatives, the hacha (pen shell) that way down in Baja.

Yep, been there, done that down in Ensenada and further south. Big glass mugs full of them raw, with cockles and clams. Add chile and lime and whatever you want and go to town. Great eats and great fun down there back in the day. Think my days driving down from SD are over, though. IT wasn't too scary back then, but some places were definitely sketchy, especially at night.

And yes, I know you dig raw. I do too, as you know and shall see in a sec here. wink

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K

Those things were nasty!

Rooster, pan seared is pretty standard and I do it that way fairly often, especially if I'm feeling a little lazy. Don't take that the wrong way, please. wink

Your method is sound; just be careful to not overcook. Doing so won't necessarily ruin them, but they will get a bit rubbery when overcooked. Scallops go from a sort of translucent to opaque and much like a good steak, once one gets to know what to look, smell and literally feel for, cooking them is tits. Poke them with a finger. They should be springy, but a bit firm.

As far as 'mushy and fishy' scallops, ouch. Brother, you got rooked. I've never had either a mushy nor fishy smelling scallop. Ever. They should smell briny and somewhat sweet. Maybe more than a tiny bit nutty. You should've called the waiter over and said, 'these scallops are obviously bad and not fit for human consumption, and whatever ass is running the kitchen has no business being back there'. Send them back and leave. Foodborne illnesses from bad shellfish can be very, very bad.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K

JFC. I should've read through and saved myself five minutes. IB already got it right. wink

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by DouginAlaska
I get my scallops from Kodiak and they are delicious, no fishy taste at all. I sear them in olive or avocado oil with equal amount of butter after seasoning with salt, pepper and garlic. My wife doesn't care for them but the grandkids go crazy when they find out I'm cooking scallops. As ironbender mentioned, they should be sweet and slightly firm. JMHO

Again, the correct response. Good call on the avocado oil, BTW. Maybe try a couple drops of truffle oil or salted honey on a few. If you try the latter, use unsalted butter.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Great thread, KG. Kudos to your wife.

Thanks, Rocky. Hope you take her easy and heal up. Sorry to hear of your health woes.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
Good things happen to good people! Save some for June!

I think that's true more often than not. On my case I'm calling it shît luck...

NP on saving some. BTW, you holding Stubbs hostage or what?

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
OK, a few shots of having a go at some of the recently prepared bounty. To say the quality is outstanding would be a gross insult.

Panco breaded scallops released into the oil.

A few grains of sea salt. No dip or sauce. None needed.

'Buri'. Same fish as what is known go sushi people as 'hamachi'. Only difference is size. Buri are the larger ones, those over 80 cm in Japanese fish circles. One of my favorites raw and cooked. This one was wild caught off of Japan.

The 'kama', which is the so-called fish's collar. They are unbelievable broiled.

The cuts after cleaning it up and skinning. Maybe 6 pounds of RTE flesh I got.

Wife made the sushi rice and I threw together lunch.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K

Some Japanese pickles, some miso soup and a cold brew made this meal another winner.

Hilarious part? When I, about drooling in anticipation, said, "OK darling, let's eat! I can't hardly wait!", she looked at me and said, "I was working with seafood for about every minute for 50 hours last week and I'm sick of it. That's all for you. I'm just having soup and pickles..."

smile

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by pal
Nice gift Leighton!

Have had scallops prepared in many different ways. But the best I ever ate were eaten raw, right from the shell, after having just pried them off their rock, seawater still dripping off my wetsuit.
You must be thinking of abalone... scallops are free-swimmers. They drag a bunch of chains along the bottom to scare them up so the trawl can scoop them.

SD is almost certainly correct on this, unless there are scallops that identify as abalone, oysters or mussels...

wink

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by JeffA
[Linked Image from thumbs.gfycat.com][Linked Image from 64.media.tumblr.com]

Someone needs to come up with a 'Scallop Dance' routine. For some reason watching them swim always cracks me up. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow! The vendors obviously liked your wife’s style and the way she interacts with other people, since they picked her to gift with the gourmet food.

I LOVE scallops. Rock scallops are my favorite, and I like them sliced about 1/3 of an inch thin and sauteed in butter for maybe 30 seconds on a side. Baked gently on the shell by a real chef with the right combo of spices is equally good. And… they are just GOOD, even raw.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,353 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,323
Posts18,468,478
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.