Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Saddle,

That's really impressive, hunting at 80. And you nailed it about most city folk. They are clueless to how the world works...and worse yet, they vote.

Originally Posted by saddlesore
There are indeed people who think they need to hunt elk every year. I am one of them. I moved to Colorado in 74 so I could. As I aged, I changed tactics, gear, etc. Now as I will be 80 this year, I am very limited, but I will still do my darnedest to go. I might only be able to get 50-75 yards from my mule, but I will watch the sunrise and the forest come live, and put it to bed at night. If an elk comes by I will take it home with me.If not, I will still enjoy the hunt.Those that are city dwellers don't have a clue about that..

People think every thing comes from the city, but everything we use or eat comes from rural areas It is grown in the dirt, mined from the dirt, or drilled into the dirt. If it were not for farming, ranching, mining, drilling, city people would not survive.

GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
There are indeed people who think they need to hunt elk every year. I am one of them. I moved to Colorado in 74 so I could. As I aged, I changed tactics, gear, etc. Now as I will be 80 this year, I am very limited, but I will still do my darnedest to go. I might only be able to get 50-75 yards from my mule, but I will watch the sunrise and the forest come live, and put it to bed at night. If an elk comes by I will take it home with me.If not, I will still enjoy the hunt.Those that are city dwellers don't have a clue about that..

People think every thing comes from the city, but everything we use or eat comes from rural areas It is grown in the dirt, mined from the dirt, or drilled into the dirt. If it were not for farming, ranching, mining, drilling, city people would not survive.

And that is good that you still get out there and and getting an elk is fine too. And many " city dwellers" dont have a clue, and mining , farming , ranching is where you live , and not in the city. I see trains every day going west. They have cars, trucks , diesel fuel and likely crude oil, and who knows what else. it comes from the ports of Chitcago, Milwaukee, Duluth, MN. and New York.. It comes back with wheat from Montana and no doubt the Dakotas. Sure, many city people get pissed when they stop for a train and never realize how important they are. I see lumber, likely from out west and Canada, milled in the west. However, without " city people" there would be no mills, or lumber jobs.. SO, for the ignorant and small minded people here that post bla bla bla, I will make you a deal, I will never hunt a western state. In exchange you can only buy what is made in 100 miles of your home, with materials gotten locally. You will find out real quick that being selfish with elk tags and saying we should pay $2, 000 or $4,000 for an elk tag is quite shallow. And SaddleStore is right, City people would not survive, however , no one in the country would neither. Again, I could live there, but I am content here.

Last edited by ihookem; 03/16/23.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Go to CPW website and ruminate on the Commission March meeting. Elk hunting as we know it for NR hunters is soon to change and not for the better. What do you expect from the weenie washer governor’s appointees and drones in Parks and Wildlife?

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by WAM
Go to CPW website and ruminate on the Commission March meeting. Elk hunting as we know it for NR hunters is soon to change and not for the better. What do you expect from the weenie washer governor’s appointees and drones in Parks and Wildlife?

You got that right !!!!!!

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ihookem
SaddleStore is right, City people would not survive, however , no one in the country would neither. Again, I could live there, but I am content here.

Off topic,but:
I think I would survive longer. I can grow enough vegetables to feed us every year. If I don't get an elk and need meat, I can go to a local rancher and buy a beef or hog and butcher it myself. I can get flour and corn from a local co-op and grind it myself. If I need to go to town and have no fuel, I can hitch the mule to a wagon and go. If necessary, I can heat my house with wood and cook on that stove.Water I can get from a pond or lake and filter it. Most city folks can't do any of that.

Yea,there are things I would have to do without, but my biggest problem would be keeping those that can't survive, from taking from me. I think I have that covered.

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/16/23.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
SaddleStore is right, City people would not survive, however , no one in the country would neither. Again, I could live there, but I am content here.

Off topic,but:
I think I would survive longer. I can grow enough vegetables to feed us every year. If I don't get an elk and need meat, I can go to a local rancher and buy a beef or hog and butcher it myself. I can get flour and corn from a local co-op and grind it myself. If I need to go to town and have no fuel, I can hitch the mule to a wagon and go. If necessary, I can heat my house with wood and cook on that stove.Water I can get from a pond or lake and filter it. Most city folks can't do any of that.

Yea,there are things I would have to do without, but my biggest problem would be keeping those that can't survive, from taking from me. I think I have that covered.

That sounds pretty good plan.. I have 4 ac. kind of in the country. I have all kinds of water. I have a garden and can go a lot bigger. As for meat ,I am not usre the farmers would sell t to me though. Later.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The NR elk tag thread has turned into an apocalypse thread. Perfect. Perfect.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
The NR elk tag thread has turned into an apocalypse thread. Perfect. Perfect.

Well it wasn't going anywhere any way.These types of threads, the best info is the first two pages. After that is is zip

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If an apocalypse happened and shooters started popping elk on their wintering grounds, there wouldn't be an elk left to migrate in the spring.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ERK
I’ve been trying to figure out how they can charge out of state fees on federal land. Edk

It's in their state? They do as they wish. Your money is their money.
Dirty rats.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Good grief man read the law passed in 2005, state have the right by law to charge more for NR hunting and fishing licenses.

109-13 section 6036

Public Law 109–13
109th Congress
An Act
Making Emergency Supplemental Appropriations for Defense, the Global War on
Terror, and Tsunami Relief, for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2005, and
for other purposes.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of
the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the ‘‘Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act for Defense, the Global War on Terror, and Tsunami
Relief, 2005’’.
SEC. 2. TABLE OF CONTENTS.
The table of contents for this Act is as follows:
Sec. 1. Short title.
Sec. 2. Table of contents.
Sec. 3. References.
DIVISION A—EMERGENCY SUPPLEMENTAL APPROPRIATIONS FOR
DEFENSE, THE GLOBAL WAR ON TERROR, AND TSUNAMI RELIEF, 2005
Title I—Defense Related Appropriations
Title II—International Programs and Assistance for Reconstruction and the War on
Terror
Title III—Domestic Appropriations for the War on Terror
Title IV—Indian Ocean Tsunami Relief
Title V—Other Emergency Appropriations
Title VI—General Provisions and Technical Corrections

Section 6036

RESIDENT AND NONRESIDENT HUNTING AND FISHING REGULATIONS
SEC. 6036. STATE REGULATION OF RESIDENT AND NONRESIDENT
HUNTING AND FISHING. (a) SHORT TITLE.—This section may be
cited as the ‘‘Reaffirmation of State Regulation of Resident and
Nonresident Hunting and Fishing Act of 2005’’.
(b) DECLARATION OF POLICY AND CONSTRUCTION OF CONGRESSIONAL SILENCE.— (1) IN GENERAL.—It is the policy of Congress that it is
in the public interest for each State to continue to regulate
Reaffirmation of
State Regulation
of Resident and
Nonresident
Hunting and
Fishing Act
of 2005.
Contracts.
Mississippi.
Minerals.
VerDate 14-DEC-2004 19:15 Jun 02, 2005 Jkt 039139 PO 00013 Frm 00059 Fmt 6580 Sfmt 6581 E:\PUBLAW\PUBL013.109 APPS10 PsN: PUBL013
119 STAT. 290 PUBLIC LAW 109–13—MAY 11, 2005
the taking for any purpose of fish and wildlife within its boundaries, including by means of laws or regulations that differentiate between residents and nonresidents of such State with
respect to the availability of licenses or permits for taking
of particular species of fish or wildlife, the kind and numbers
of fish and wildlife that may be taken, or the fees charged
in connection with issuance of licenses or permits for hunting
or fishing.
(2) CONSTRUCTION OF CONGRESSIONAL SILENCE.—Silence on
the part of Congress shall not be construed to impose any
barrier under clause 3 of Section 8 of Article I of the Constitution (commonly referred to as the ‘‘commerce clause’’) to the
regulation of hunting or fishing by a State or Indian tribe.
(c) LIMITATIONS.—Nothing in this section shall be construed—
(1) to limit the applicability or effect of any Federal law
related to the protection or management of fish or wildlife
or to the regulation of commerce;
(2) to limit the authority of the United States to prohibit
hunting or fishing on any portion of the lands owned by the
United States; or
(3) to abrogate, abridge, affect, modify, supersede or alter
any treaty-reserved right or other right of any Indian tribe
as recognized by any other means, including, but not limited
to, agreements with the United States, Executive Orders, statutes, and judicial decrees, and by Federal law.
(d) STATE DEFINED.—For purposes of this section, the term
‘‘State’’ includes the several States, the District of Columbia, the
Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, the Virgin Islands, American
Samoa, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If an apocalypse happened and shooters started popping elk on their wintering grounds, there wouldn't be an elk left to migrate in the spring.
The apocalypse WILL happen on Colorado's elk herds when FWP releases wolves there. Then Colorado FWP can proudly say that they once HAD the largest elk herd in the world.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

And that is good that you still get out there and and getting an elk is fine too. And many " city dwellers" dont have a clue, and mining , farming , ranching is where you live , and not in the city. I see trains every day going west. They have cars, trucks , diesel fuel and likely crude oil, and who knows what else. it comes from the ports of Chitcago, Milwaukee, Duluth, MN. and New York.. It comes back with wheat from Montana and no doubt the Dakotas. Sure, many city people get pissed when they stop for a train and never realize how important they are. I see lumber, likely from out west and Canada, milled in the west. However, without " city people" there would be no mills, or lumber jobs.. SO, for the ignorant and small minded people here that post bla bla bla, I will make you a deal, I will never hunt a western state. In exchange you can only buy what is made in 100 miles of your home, with materials gotten locally. You will find out real quick that being selfish with elk tags and saying we should pay $2, 000 or $4,000 for an elk tag is quite shallow. And SaddleStore is right, City people would not survive, however , no one in the country would neither. Again, I could live there, but I am content here.
Are youbsuggesting that if NR elk tags where cut tommorow all commerce would stop in retribution?
I think that highly unlikely.
The fact is the western states do not need a single NR hunter should they chose to do that.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by wytex
Good grief man read the law passed in 2005, state have the right by law to charge more for NR hunting and fishing licenses.

109-13 section 6036

Public Law 109–13
109th Congress
An Act
Making Emergency Supplemental Appropriations for Defense, the Global War on
Terror, and Tsunami Relief, for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2005, and
for other purposes.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of
the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the ‘‘Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act for Defense, the Global War on Terror, and Tsunami
Relief, 2005’’.
SEC. 2. TABLE OF CONTENTS.
The table of contents for this Act is as follows:
Sec. 1. Short title.
Sec. 2. Table of contents.
Sec. 3. References.
DIVISION A—EMERGENCY SUPPLEMENTAL APPROPRIATIONS FOR
DEFENSE, THE GLOBAL WAR ON TERROR, AND TSUNAMI RELIEF, 2005
Title I—Defense Related Appropriations
Title II—International Programs and Assistance for Reconstruction and the War on
Terror
Title III—Domestic Appropriations for the War on Terror
Title IV—Indian Ocean Tsunami Relief
Title V—Other Emergency Appropriations
Title VI—General Provisions and Technical Corrections

Section 6036

RESIDENT AND NONRESIDENT HUNTING AND FISHING REGULATIONS
SEC. 6036. STATE REGULATION OF RESIDENT AND NONRESIDENT
HUNTING AND FISHING. (a) SHORT TITLE.—This section may be
cited as the ‘‘Reaffirmation of State Regulation of Resident and
Nonresident Hunting and Fishing Act of 2005’’.
(b) DECLARATION OF POLICY AND CONSTRUCTION OF CONGRESSIONAL SILENCE.— (1) IN GENERAL.—It is the policy of Congress that it is
in the public interest for each State to continue to regulate
Reaffirmation of
State Regulation
of Resident and
Nonresident
Hunting and
Fishing Act
of 2005.
Contracts.
Mississippi.
Minerals.
VerDate 14-DEC-2004 19:15 Jun 02, 2005 Jkt 039139 PO 00013 Frm 00059 Fmt 6580 Sfmt 6581 E:\PUBLAW\PUBL013.109 APPS10 PsN: PUBL013
119 STAT. 290 PUBLIC LAW 109–13—MAY 11, 2005
the taking for any purpose of fish and wildlife within its boundaries, including by means of laws or regulations that differentiate between residents and nonresidents of such State with
respect to the availability of licenses or permits for taking
of particular species of fish or wildlife, the kind and numbers
of fish and wildlife that may be taken, or the fees charged
in connection with issuance of licenses or permits for hunting
or fishing.
(2) CONSTRUCTION OF CONGRESSIONAL SILENCE.—Silence on
the part of Congress shall not be construed to impose any
barrier under clause 3 of Section 8 of Article I of the Constitution (commonly referred to as the ‘‘commerce clause’’) to the
regulation of hunting or fishing by a State or Indian tribe.
(c) LIMITATIONS.—Nothing in this section shall be construed—
(1) to limit the applicability or effect of any Federal law
related to the protection or management of fish or wildlife
or to the regulation of commerce;
(2) to limit the authority of the United States to prohibit
hunting or fishing on any portion of the lands owned by the
United States; or
(3) to abrogate, abridge, affect, modify, supersede or alter
any treaty-reserved right or other right of any Indian tribe
as recognized by any other means, including, but not limited
to, agreements with the United States, Executive Orders, statutes, and judicial decrees, and by Federal law.
(d) STATE DEFINED.—For purposes of this section, the term
‘‘State’’ includes the several States, the District of Columbia, the
Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, the Virgin Islands, American
Samoa, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
Should be mentioned this was taken to the Supreme Court and upheld. NR have zero rights to western game.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by BWalker

Are youbsuggesting that if NR elk tags where cut tommorow all commerce would stop in retribution?
I think that highly unlikely.
The fact is the western states do not need a single NR hunter should they chose to do that.

Of course I'm not saying that . I am saying there are people here that think that out of state people should have to pay as much as $4,000 for them or stay home. Many think the world revolves around their elk and deer tags out west. I am also saying that everyone here needs everyone. Many people, where I live included , think the city people would not make it. You may be surprised. No, they cant grow their own food. However, when a ship did come into the port, what is in it would not get past the city. Gas, diesel fuel, meds,,, know anyone on meds? Seems half the Campfire is on them. Food , tires, coal, clothes, it all comes into the ports of big cities. Many say , I have a garden.. Yes, so do I , however, it takes over 2 months just to grow corn potatoes, ETC. This " country Boy Can Survive" is mostly hogwash. I live what most would say in the country and i hear it quite a bit. I am saying they should not be so shallow. I think you know what I meant however.

Last edited by ihookem; 03/17/23.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
To be clear. I don't hate Non residents. In the the past many years I have taken quite a few, introduced them to elk hunting and have gotten them elk. Taught them how to pack elk and care for their mount . A few from this forum even. I have supplied them with with mules to ride, mules to pack out their elk, tents, camp gear at no charge, nor did I expect any. My cost in keeping each mule alone for a year totals more than any nonresident elk license cost. I pay about $1000 a year for hay and grain alone for each mule. That doesn't count the riding saddles, pack saddles, pads, britching, breast collars,bridles, hobbles, high lines, shoeing, truck and trailer big enough to haul everything.

Yet every year I have nonresident hunters, complete strangers, that didn't think about how to get their elk out, come and knock on my tent pole or camper asking me to pack out their elk out. They think I should do it for nothing..Never mind that it will take a day out my hunting. If they offer me money and I tell them I am not a licensed outfitter and the fine for doing so is huge to me.They don't believe me and go away mad, cussing out the resident. The going rate now is about $600 per elk.

Colorado treats their residents worse than any other western states in terms of elk quotas for residents vs nonresidents. Right now, IMO Colorado is over carrying capacity with hunters,. The elk herds a cannot sustain the unlimited OTC tags that are being sold, and a lot of the draw tags. Even archery seasons are over hunted just because of the hunting pressure. We are seeing success rates dwindling, but CPW will not give up their cash cows. More and more money comes in,but goes to salaries and parks and less to wildlife management.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
You a good man Saddlestore!! And the resident should have some respect. As for me , we have hunters come from all over to grouse hunt in northern Wis. They are more than welcome as far as I am concerned. Those grouse hunters from the south are darn serious. They spend thousands to come here. I ask if they saw any deer, I tell them where I saw some grouse.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigGrz
We can settle this fair and square. Abolish NR licenses in your state and we’ll do the same here. We’d solve the whining about “gouging” real quick. Even Steven. grin

You do realize what that will do to the Wyoming fish and game revenue, right?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
You a good man Saddlestore!! And the resident should have some respect. As for me , we have hunters come from all over to grouse hunt in northern Wis. They are more than welcome as far as I am concerned. Those grouse hunters from the south are darn serious. They spend thousands to come here. I ask if they saw any deer, I tell them where I saw some grouse.

Only a fool would hunt ruffs when you could hunt sharptail,huns, and chukar...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For a long time, Kansas didn't allow NR deer hunting until it was threatened by other states not to allow Kansas hunters to hunt BG in their states. Kansas then realized how much revenue NR BG hunters brought in for the agency and the state, consequently NR BG hunters were allowed to participate. When money becomes the driving factor for BG wildlife management in any state, there will be no ceiling to how much can be charged for tags.

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,663
Posts18,455,732
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.