Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Benbo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
several years ago i bought an older Remington700 mountain rifle in 30-06. i finally got around to trying to work up a load for it for a possible moose hunt. After trying 180 hornady, partitions, accubond and tsx it has shown a definite reoccurring pattern. several groups have two bullets touching or nearly touching and a third thrown out about 1-1.5”. The “thrown” bullet is not showing a pattern in that it may go to 2 o’clock or 9oclock or anywhere else. The stock has had the “hump” removed. Action screws are tight. Rings and bases are tight. Scope is a 3-9 leupold that I’ve had for years and never shown any issues. I’ve only used Norma URP and H4350. I’ve tried starting loads to max in 1 grain incrimants. I’ve tried close to the lands to well off the lands.

I’ve never fully bedded a barrel….. but I’m thinking of trying that. I know Mel Forbes does that with all of his rifles and they have a very good reputation for shooting very well.

The stock is the factory wood Remington mountain rifle stock. I have not bedded the action.

Any input or suggestions appreciated

Ben

BP-B6

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
i would put the bump back in and see what happens ...a business card under the barrel in the original area would probably work to try it

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Is the cold bore shot consistent?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The action needs to be properly bedded in the stock for a Mtn rifle to shoot well. My 1987 mtn rifle in 280 Rem was a squirrely bugger. 2+" groups at 100 yds with horizontal stringing, and mostly plus. Maybe 1-1/2" on a good day. Finally gave it a good bedding job this winter and it made a world of difference. Now it's 1 MOA with a bullet it likes.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
every one i ever owned shot really well from the factory

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
My floated and bedded .260 Remington mountain rifle shoots fantastic.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Ok, I've been shooting my M700 Mtn. Rifle since the mid-eighty's, it started out as a .270Win, and now it's a .30-06, got rid off the BDL-Wood Stock, and went to a Remington HT Synthetic Stock, which I Epoxy-Bedded and Floated that Pencil Bbl. and its spot on for 3-Three Shots in succession, and if I keep-on Shooting, the 4th & 5th will be off by about 1/4-3/8" +/- @ 100yds,,,,,, ie..... Pencil-Bbl. Syndrome... this Rifle REALLY likes 180gr Black-Talon Ammo,,,, I've still got about 10-11 boxes left, and it will Shoot those Remington 220gr's Pretty Dam Good as well, anyway,,,,, you need to Bed that Action, in whatever Stock you use, and have it Floated so a Dollar-Bill will slide all the way under, and right up to the Recoil-Lug on the Action,,,,,, see attachments accordingly.... cry
Best of Luck going forward.....
Lj in Alaska.... cool

Attached Images
Last edited by AK375DGR; 03/18/23. Reason: added info.....

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Three-shot groups are almost useless because they don't tell you much about anything.

V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by super T
Three-shot groups are almost useless because they don't tell you much about anything.

This - 2x shots cold barrel 2 touching or almost equals dead moose!

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

Ok,,,,, well it's quite obvious, that you have NEVER Shot a Rifle with a Light-Contoured Bbl.,,,, and Yea, it's called Heat and Physics at play..... cry
Lj in Alaska.... cool

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Benbo
several years ago i bought an older Remington700 mountain rifle in 30-06. i finally got around to trying to work up a load for it for a possible moose hunt. After trying 180 hornady, partitions, accubond and tsx it has shown a definite reoccurring pattern. several groups have two bullets touching or nearly touching and a third thrown out about 1-1.5”. The “thrown” bullet is not showing a pattern in that it may go to 2 o’clock or 9oclock or anywhere else. The stock has had the “hump” removed. Action screws are tight. Rings and bases are tight. Scope is a 3-9 leupold that I’ve had for years and never shown any issues. I’ve only used Norma URP and H4350. I’ve tried starting loads to max in 1 grain incrimants. I’ve tried close to the lands to well off the lands.

I’ve never fully bedded a barrel….. but I’m thinking of trying that. I know Mel Forbes does that with all of his rifles and they have a very good reputation for shooting very well.

The stock is the factory wood Remington mountain rifle stock. I have not bedded the action.

Any input or suggestions appreciated

Ben

If the first two shoot that well, and after that 1"-2" you have two good first shots and minute of moose for the running moose. I wouldn't worry myself to death.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Is the "thrown" bullet always the 3rd shot in the group?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by AK375DGR

Ok,,,,, well it's quite obvious, that you have NEVER Shot a Rifle with a Light-Contoured Bbl.,,,, and Yea, it's called Heat and Physics at play..... cry
Lj in Alaska.... cool

Ten shot groups don't necessarily have to be fired fast enough to overheat the barrel.

Another thing to consider is that rifles with very light contour barrels often do not have stocks that are the best for shooting from bags on the bench. I have a Rem 700 Mountain Rifle with a very slim barrel. Here's an example of what it will do in a more "bench friendly" stock. This five shot group was fired without any cooling time between shots other than reloading and taking aim.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You’re already minute of moose. I would make sure the stock is properly sealed, bed the action and float the barrel, make sure the magazine box isn’t bound up between the floorplate and action, and go shoot. You can use bedding compound to recreate the hump or even bed the barrel completely. However, I’d start with a floated barrel.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
AK375DGR, First of all, thank you for your service, but the debate about the usefulness of three-shot groups to determine much about the long term grouping ability of a rifle or load has been over for quite some time regardless of the weight of the barrel. Just as Mathman said shots can be fired slow enough to not heat thin barrels.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I've seen the same thing across 3 700 mountain rifles. One fix was to use JB's suggestion of a plastic bread wrapper clip under the front action screw point. That barrel will still heat up quickly, but it'll get the first 3 or 4 into a much better group.

Beyond that, I found seating depth to be key in all 3 rifles.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
B
Benbo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to which shot it throws out of the “group”.

I’m aware that three shot groups are not ideal for determining a rifles true accuracy potential….most of the time. But as others have stated that pencil thin barrel isn’t one of my truck axle prairie dog rifles.

For sure it is minute of moose as is.

Thanks to all who have responded. I’ll bed the action and see what it tells me after that. I also didn’t think to check the mag box.

It’s definitely a lot less enjoyable shooting when every time the rifle goes bang it’s costing about $2! Hopefully I can get a good load found and stop sending those high dollar bullets into my dirt pile and into a moose.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Benbo
There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to which shot it throws out of the “group”.

I’m aware that three shot groups are not ideal for determining a rifles true accuracy potential….most of the time. But as others have stated that pencil thin barrel isn’t one of my truck axle prairie dog rifles.

For sure it is minute of moose as is.

Thanks to all who have responded. I’ll bed the action and see what it tells me after that. I also didn’t think to check the mag box.

It’s definitely a lot less enjoyable shooting when every time the rifle goes bang it’s costing about $2! Hopefully I can get a good load found and stop sending those high dollar bullets into my dirt pile and into a moose.

It can be a big deal. I turned a Model 7 from a sprayer into a shooter by unbinding its magazine box.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by AK375DGR

Lj in Alaska.... cool

Ten shot groups don't necessarily have to be fired fast enough to overheat the barrel.

Another thing to consider is that rifles with very light contour barrels often do not have stocks that are the best for shooting from bags on the bench. I have a Rem 700 Mountain Rifle with a very slim barrel. Here's an example of what it will do in a more "bench friendly" stock. This five shot group was fired without any cooling time between shots other than reloading and taking aim.

[Linked Image]

Ok, your Target Post is depicting exactly what I was talking about, ie... 4th and 5th Shots shown somewhat away from the Original Group of 3, and Yes,,,, I understand that one can Fire at a slower Rate, and not Heat-up said Bbl, I spent 6yrs in the MARINES, with 3-Tours in VietNam, I think I know how to fire a Rifle, and then some,,,,, and for those of you that might remember a GunSmith named P.O. Ackley, the GunSmith that did the work on my M700 in the 90's is the one that said I should use the Quick 3-Shot Rule for this Mtn. Rifle, because of the Bbl's Profile,,,,, and Yea, he used to work for P.O. before starting his own shop..... cry
Lj in Alaska.... cool

Attached Images

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My 1st gen 700 ti 30-06 shot 1/2 moa with 150g ttsx over varget. I usually run h4350 in a 30-06 or rl17 or h4831sc with heavies. But, the ti loves 150 ttsx over varget. It has shot that load 1/2 moa for 5 but it's a bit slower load than I usually run in an 06. It clocked about 2880 iirc.

Bb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 3,138 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,744
Posts18,401,246
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.