Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Skip54 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Good Afternoon Savage Colleagues:

I recently acquired a 1952 Savage 99 chambered in 300 Savage. Based on available information, I believe this to be a Model 99EG.

When I received the rifle I fed a group of dummy rounds in the rifle and experienced intermittent feed problems. (see photos).
[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/12bNRPMySYzC6jIAdo_1FYzko0s21Tm4T/view?usp=share_link[/img]
[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ueeYH3AohqONJaw6oQcw2EPoFtOUzbYM/view?usp=share_link[/img]
After consulting with the owner of a local gun shop, part of the problem may be related to the gentle way I was operating the lever; and potentially the condition of the dummy rounds.

In any case, I dismantled the rifle with assistance of the AGI Assembly/Disassembly video, which I highly recommend! I was suspecting the carrier assembly to be faulty or at least a problematic spring or tension. As a result, I ordered a number of replacement parts from a schematic diagram in anticipation of replacing them.

The carrier body was significantly tarnished, and I attempted to clean the brass with brass cleaner "Brasso", however, the outcome was barely noticable. I did not dismantle the carrier assembly further as the spindle nut was staked onto the spindle. Since the spring appeared to be in tact, I didn't want to disturb the assembly as I didn't have the correct replacement parts. Most of the parts I received were different sizes and configurations from the original, and did not fit. These will be returned.

The only thing I did not remove from the receiver was the cartridge guide. I had ordered a replacement cartridge guide for the 300 Savage. When observing the replacement part, it was obvious that it was not the same configuration as the cartridge guide in the rifle. As I looked on the parts website, the photo that appeared to match the cartridge guide in my rifle was a guide for 308 Win. Please see photos of each.
[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KQ73wrhX0qAlkxsFOgYYjs2E0DTmlUZV/view?usp=share_link[/img]
[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/11LBmHn05LI-ZwR4IqILDc3-19naCBwvM/view?usp=share_link[/img]
Do these photos accurately reflect the two different cartridge guides?

Might it be possible that a previous owner could have changed out the cartridge guide in an effort to utilize the more readily available 308 Win cartridge? Would it even be possible to shoot 308 ammo in this Savage 99 designed for 300 Savage (I understood the internal pressure of the 308 Win to be significantly higher than the 300 Savage cartridge)? If this were to be the case - could this be the cause of the feeding problem I experienced?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback folks might have regarding this possibility of having the incorrect cartridge guide installed and the resulting issues.

BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The cartridge guide is of utmost importance. Whereas the rotors themselves are more forgiving than a lot of people give them credit for, the guides will be the determining factor in the interchangeability game. It's certainly possible that someone along the way swapped it out - who knows? If all else has failed I would certainly try a different guide, can't hurt. All you need is a tiny drift punch to knock down the two little pins that hold it, and the skill to hit the pins dead nuts so as not to bugger the surrounding steel.....

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You have now entered, The Savage Rabbit Hole.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
your private message do not work . where are you located , I have a CG for 300 Savage.

Norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does the rotor spring have enough tension?
That can cause cycling issues.
Simple adjustment vs “changing” pieces and parts.

Also cycle newer live rounds as a test.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Good advice there. I routinely only ever stuff a couple into the magazine plus one up the spout, just for shear trouble-free cycling. Repeat shots after missing with the first one are usually always Hail Mary shots anyway.

S
Skip54 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you gnoshhh!

Is there a way to absolutely confirm the correct guide for this rifle?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
If there's a pictorial guide of the various ones I'm not aware of it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe the Numrich parts outfit?

LOL
S
Skip54 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks Fireball2! I used Numrich’s schematic to select the parts I purchased. I haven’t seen any document of theirs that definitively identifies the guide by caliber - other than the purchase photos as I shared.

Last edited by Skip54; 03/19/23. Reason: Mispelling
IC B3

S
Skip54 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Great question Southern_WI_Savage. The carrier assembly appears to function properly when I turn the carrier body. The spring feels a bit weak, however I’m not experienced enough to know the difference.

S
Skip54 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi norm99 - I’m located in upstate NY - just outside Albany.

S
Skip54 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
You have now entered, The Savage Rabbit Hole.
Fireball2 - I think you nailed it… I’m new to the Savage 99 world, but the last few weeks have been like peeling back the onion. I acquired the rifle in an online auction and have been in the process of evaluation. It’s a beauty - but I want a fully functional firearm. What Zi got is a pretty rifle and the start of a specialized firearm education.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Savages come apart really easy. Clean it up, wind the spring up and try it.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Don't sweat it. We've all been there at one time or another. (Calhoun maybe long before the rest of us. He was shop foreman at Savage in 1915, after starting as Arthur Savage's office boy in 1898. grin ) Just don't be afraid to dig into the gun, but keep your mind at it - it's a simple mechanism that works in subtle ways.

Don't be afraid to ask for help. We may not know the answers but we at least look good. (Except GeneB - he does know the answers, as well as looks good!)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Skip54
After consulting with the owner of a local gun shop, part of the problem may be related to the gentle way I was operating the lever; and potentially the condition of the dummy rounds.
Hey Skip,
Let's back up. Welcome to the Savage Collector forum.
It doesn't sound like you have heeded the gun shop owner's advice. ?? This may be a totally self inflicted wound or operator error. The best kind of problem.
If doing what he said doesn't take care of the cycling issue then adding some tightness to the rotor spring is the next place to go.
Only then explore other "fixes" based on what happens after you perform the above. It may be "fixed".
Good luck.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Might it be possible that a previous owner could have changed out the cartridge guide in an effort to utilize the more readily available 308 Win cartridge? Would it even be possible to shoot 308 ammo in this Savage 99 designed for 300 Savage (I understood the internal pressure of the 308 Win to be significantly higher than the 300 Savage cartridge)? If this were to be the case - could this be the cause of the feeding problem I experienced?"

Your rifle is built on the early receiver design. The .308 family of cartridges required a redesign of the internals of the receiver to allow for the longer cartridge. That didn't happen till the 900,000 serial and later.

I'm guessing the cartridge guide in your rifle is fine and I would not start there for a fix.

Try chambering the round with one continues action. Wind the carrier spring one notch and see if you tell a difference.

I don't recommend making multiple changes at one time.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
all good advise.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

S
Skip54 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you Gentlemen! Appreciate your responses!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The 99 is a controlled-feed gun and the extractor should be engaged with the cartridge rim and holding it against the bolt face as it rises from the magazine. Your first picture doesn't show that. Make sure you are loading the magazine with the cartridges as far back as possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.