Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You did notice that's a 300 yard group, right? The entirety of which fits into a 2" x 2" square.

The colored box is a 1 moa square.

Back that up to 100 yards and it's inside a .67" x .67" square.

I also don't recall the order in which the shots landed.

Last edited by mathman; 03/18/23. Reason: Added text
BP-B6

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
The action needs to be properly bedded in the stock for a Mtn rifle to shoot well. My 1987 mtn rifle in 280 Rem was a squirrely bugger. 2+" groups at 100 yds with horizontal stringing, and mostly plus. Maybe 1-1/2" on a good day. Finally gave it a good bedding job this winter and it made a world of difference. Now it's 1 MOA with a bullet it likes.

Great suggestion. Every rifle benefits from a good bedding job.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Originally Posted by super T
Three-shot groups are almost useless because they don't tell you much about anything.

Ok,,,,, well it's quite obvious, that you have NEVER Shot a Rifle with a Light-Contoured Bbl.,,,, and Yea, it's called Heat and Physics at play..... cry
Lj in Alaska.... cool

Ten shot groups don't necessarily have to be fired fast enough to overheat the barrel.

Another thing to consider is that rifles with very light contour barrels often do not have stocks that are the best for shooting from bags on the bench. I have a Rem 700 Mountain Rifle with a very slim barrel. Here's an example of what it will do in a more "bench friendly" stock. This five shot group was fired without any cooling time between shots other than reloading and taking aim.

[Linked Image]

Good shooting mathman. That heavier 5 R stock, seems to help even though that is a skinny barrel. One thing that guys need to understand is that even though a barrel is skinny, it may still have the potential to shoot very well. It all depends on the quality of the barrel and how it was machined. I've had many skinny barrels that shoot lights out. You may have to slow fire them. IE: 1 shot per minute, but it is entirely possible to put 10 shots into sub moa with a skinny barrel. If it's a good barrel.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by super T
Three-shot groups are almost useless because they don't tell you much about anything.

Ok,,,,, well it's quite obvious, that you have NEVER Shot a Rifle with a Light-Contoured Bbl.,,,, and Yea, it's called Heat and Physics at play..... cry
Lj in Alaska.... cool

Ten shot groups don't necessarily have to be fired fast enough to overheat the barrel.

Another thing to consider is that rifles with very light contour barrels often do not have stocks that are the best for shooting from bags on the bench. I have a Rem 700 Mountain Rifle with a very slim barrel. Here's an example of what it will do in a more "bench friendly" stock. This five shot group was fired without any cooling time between shots other than reloading and taking aim.

[Linked Image]

Ok, your Target Post is depicting exactly what I was talking about, ie... 4th and 5th Shots shown somewhat away from the Original Group of 3, and Yes,,,, I understand that one can Fire at a slower Rate, and not Heat-up said Bbl, I spent 6yrs in the MARINES, with 3-Tours in VietNam, I think I know how to fire a Rifle, and then some,,,,, and for those of you that might remember a GunSmith named P.O. Ackley, the GunSmith that did the work on my M700 in the 90's is the one that said I should use the Quick 3-Shot Rule for this Mtn. Rifle, because of the Bbl's Profile,,,,, and Yea, he used to work for P.O. before starting his own shop..... cry
Lj in Alaska.... cool

So you are saying a skinny barrel can't shoot good 10 shot groups? Boy have you been fn lied to. You better go back to school buddy. Before you get a real education..

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"Ten shot groups don't necessarily have to be fired fast enough to overheat the barrel."

I guess that depends on where you're shooting. Much of my load work ups and test shooting takes place in the summer, many times with 110+ heat. The barrel can already be overheated just by being in the sun. Two of my rifles are chambered to the .270 Win. and have barrels that are soda straw thin. One shoots sub MOA and the other is an unknown regarding accuracy. So far it does about 2.5" using the iron sights which is about as good as I can do with my 84 year old eyeballs. The rifle is Danzig Mauser WW2 bring back and the original scope system was removed by a previous owner. Interesting thing about the rifle is it has a barrel that is extremely thin and has a stamp that says P.O. Ackley. My gunsmith recently retired DAMMIT! His estimate to do the bolt handle and rework the receiver was somewhere between $700 and $1,000. There are 8 screw holes to be filled in, then drill and tapped fo a scope mount. There is also a "pit" in the receiver ring about 1.8" deep that has to be filled in and recontoured, plus another on the rear receiver ring that is about one inch square that has to be filled in. Really it all mostly labor costs. All that work to clean up some kind of Mickey Mouse German engineered scope mount. I wish I could do pictures. I might have gotten lucky and found a proper scope mount for a hell of a lot less money. One thing I do know. That rifle with 24" soda straw barrel weighs about 6 pounds without a scope. The other rifle in .270 with a soda straw barrel weighs 7 3/4 pounds with scope, sling and full magazine. It too has a 24" barrel. It's pleasure to carry. It has a few deer to its credit.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since the OP was concerned about a recurring pattern of 2 bullets close and a third thrown some distance away, it brought to mind a post that was on the campfire some years ago. I copied it and saved it, but I must admit I never tried the recommended procedure to see if it works.

To wit: "You start by examining the average of your groups shape. If there are 2 together and the 3rd shot out of the group, the OAL is too long for your rifle chamber and you need to seat the bullet deeper.

I turn the die a 1/4 turn at a time and repeat until the 3rd bullet comes into the group."

Is this a generally recognized technique? Anyone ever tried it to see if it works?

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have a Rem 700 mnt rifle in 30-06.. I don't know the manufacture date. It has the safety that allows the action to be cycled well on safe. It's stainless with the factory plastic stock. I also removed the pressure point at the fore end for total free float of the barrel. It's always thrown the third shot. I've considered restocking, bedding, and/or tinkering. At some future time I'll likely do just that. When I do, it will be for the enjoyment of messing with it. In the meantime, I've used it to take 4 elk, and recreational shooting. I like the rifle and think it's well made for the price. The stock's a bit cheap, but it works fine.

Last edited by Earlyagain; 03/19/23.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
719 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,946 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,757
Posts18,401,358
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.