Print Thread
Hop To
K
KSMITH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I have a hankering for a 22 mag semi auto pistol. I have a single six but want the auto. Problem is, I hear a lot of bad things about both offerings jamming. I realize some people don't remember the days when you had to break an auto in and wonder if that is part of the problem or if they bothered to clean the damned things when they bought them. Anybody have experience or advice on which way I should go? Thanks in advance.

-Piss into the wind.
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by KSMITH
I have a hankering for a 22 mag semi auto pistol. I have a single six but want the auto. Problem is, I hear a lot of bad things about both offerings jamming. I realize some people don't remember the days when you had to break an auto in and wonder if that is part of the problem or if they bothered to clean the damned things when they bought them. Anybody have experience or advice on which way I should go? Thanks in advance.

I have a PMR-30. Had a few failure to feeds in it once in a while...bought a spring kit from M-Carbo.com That really helped quite a bit. It also likes a bit heavier ammo as well, 45 gr usually but it will run the Hornady Vmax 30 gr pretty decently on a good day. Hope this helps.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Pmr 30 and don’t look back

Fück Joe byron
K
KSMITH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by CamNWIA

I have a PMR-30. Had a few failure to feeds in it once in a while...bought a spring kit from M-Carbo.com That really helped quite a bit. It also likes a bit heavier ammo as well, 45 gr usually but it will run the Hornady Vmax 30 gr pretty decently on a good day. Hope this helps.
I went and picked the PMR up and am going to order the upgraded parts because of your post. If it sucks, it is your fault.

-Piss into the wind.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just be aware that some blowback or delayed blowback 22MAG rimfire actions can permit firing out of battery (with sometimes ugly consequences) if a cartridge has not quite fully chambered due to a dirty chamber or deformed (severely dented) cartridge case. Shouldn’t be any problem if the gun is kept reasonably clean and ammo is even casually inspected routinely while loading magazines.

Every day’s an adventure.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CamNWIA

I went and picked the PMR up and am going to order the upgraded parts because of your post. If it sucks, it is your fault.

Curious how it works out for you. Conceptually, I really like that gun but reports on poor reliability have kept me from getting one.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
The poor reliability was generally in the first production run models. Since then the quality has improved. Like I posted previously, replacing the recoil spring helped quite a bit.

Shoot it right at dusk...trust me. The fireballs out the end of the barrel are awesome! (Be sure to wear your ear pro).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Just be aware that some blowback or delayed blowback 22MAG rimfire actions can permit firing out of battery (with sometimes ugly consequences) if a cartridge has not quite fully chambered due to a dirty chamber or deformed (severely dented) cartridge case. Shouldn’t be any problem if the gun is kept reasonably clean and ammo is even casually inspected routinely while loading magazines.

I once owned a Kimber .17M2 1911 conversion unit. Very accurate, but it would fire slightly out of battery as well, or possibly opened a bit early, bulging the case just ahead of the rim. Never had a rupture, but it was disconcerting considering the pressures involved. Sold the pistol itself and then later the unit as it was my sole 1911.

Wish I had all that older Mach 2 ammo back!

What fresh Hell is this?
K
KSMITH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I bumped into the M-Carbo site and ordered all the bells and whistles for it. Got the spring kit, buffer and steel takedown pin, aluminum slide release (damn those are some tiny little screws) steel feed ramp, mag release (pushes the mag alll the way up with no play) aluminum reinforcement doodad and a metal trigger. Like a jackass, I made it in 3 different orders so I got one shipment today and hope to have everything by Friday. Will tear it down Friday or Saturday and then go break it in. I will polish the feed ramp tomorrow. Going to try using Flitz instead of the normal Dremel compound. I already have a couple thousand rounds for it so it will get shot hard this weekend.

Why is it that a 22mag about the loudest round to come out of a pistol barrel? My single six is frigging horribly loud.

Last edited by KSMITH; 03/22/23.

-Piss into the wind.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I bumped into the M-Carbo site and ordered all the bells and whistles for it. Got the spring kit, buffer and steel takedown pin, aluminum slide release (damn those are some tiny little screws) steel feed ramp, mag release (pushes the mag alll the way up with no play) aluminum reinforcement doodad and a metal trigger. Like a jackass, I made it in 3 different orders so I got one shipment today and hope to have everything by Friday. Will tear it down Friday or Saturday and then go break it in. I will polish the feed ramp tomorrow. Going to try using Flitz instead of the normal Dremel compound. I already have a couple thousand rounds for it so it will get shot hard this weekend.

Why is it that a 22mag about the loudest round to come out of a pistol barrel? My single six is frigging horribly loud.

Unburnt powder. A normal .22LR cartridge takes on average 16-17" of barrel to burn up and maximize the powder. In a 4-6" pistol barrel, all that extra powder from a .22 mag EXPLODES out the end of the barrel when the bullet comes out and the remaining unburnt powder goes "WHABOOM!"

Shoot your .22 mag at dusk as soon as you get your accessories added, the fireballs rival the 4th of July. ;-)

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a RIA xt22m and it is a 45 clone no problems and is accurate enough out to about 50 yds for critter control. Have had no issues at all with it and love it. Also have a S&W 648 and a Taurus tracker in 22 mag so I have quite the range day when they all go with me.

K
KSMITH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Well, all of that M-Carbo stuff didn't improve this gun. Out of about 6 mags, I got one to run completely through. All the others had FTF and FTE issues. I did realize the takedown pin was walking out and realized it wasn't turned into the detent. Fixed that, and thoroughly scrubbed it down. I am going to go try it again when the weather co-operates. I am hoping it is maybe a break in issue but the M-Carbo videos shows then fresh out of the box, parts installed and put like a kitten. But Christ, this thing is loud as hell!!! No way you are shooting that thing without ear pro. Sumbitch will make a deaf mans ears ring.

Last edited by KSMITH; 04/08/23.

-Piss into the wind.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 5.7 makes quite a pop too. Worst ever was a 12” .22 Hornet Contender😱

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
when i carry my PMR-30 on my belt its so light i forget i have the PMR- 30 on. get pistol to own

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I recently purchased a "Walther" brand pistol.
Not the one in question here, but a P-22 CA.
(.22 LR, California version)

On the first magazine I had;
Two failures to extract,
One stove pipe jam
Two failures to feed.
After 8 shots, primer strikes were so light it would not even fire.

Very disappointed.
I tried two different brands of ammo, and both magazines.

I was not able to get through a single ten shot magazine.

i returned it to the LGS and requested they send it back to Walther under warrantee.

MOLON LABE

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 21 invisible), 1,763 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.