Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sir Dennis,
Yep, before I went over to the gold patridge, I was using a black one
with the top rear corner filed to 45 degrees
and painted white on the 45-degree patch,
used automoblie touch-up white paint.
It came in a little bottle with a brush in the cap similar to fingernail polish which I did not have on hand,
Wife never used white.
That is what I had with the flat-top-square-notch-filed Wisner-copy African rear sight on the .500 A-Square.
Worked fine on nearly a ton of 5-1/2 y.o. bison at 50 yards.
On a rat gun that sight set works well for squirrels too, whether albino or those big black monsters in Canada.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
BP-B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
No express rifle guy, but I do use irons more than most. PNW heavy timber on an overcast or rainy day...I've tried a lot of styles. My favorite is a military style broad post or black patridge. I take a jewelers saw, Harbor Freight 14 bucks, cut a tiny vertical slit dead center on the black face....paint the saw kerf very carefully with ProTec lure paint...plain old white. Gives a low light precise repeatable aiming point. A flat top deep fairly wide rectangular rear, imagine an exaggerated patridge pistol sight, enhances the sight alignment. I hate fiber, to my eye it's just a colorful shotgun bead, and about as precise.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I hate fiber, to my eye it's just a colorful shotgun bead, and about as precise.

Agree 💯 %

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
It is not for nothing gold round beads have been used on front sights since who knows when.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Rip
I would be more than happy with the gold partridge sight as well. I would be happy with an Elmer Keith modified design with gold horizontal inserts. I use big hole peep on the rear so I can focus on that front square.
I put an XS sight on the old Whelen this year but have not shot it much yet. It’s a square front with white insert. I’m confident I’ll get along with it just fine.
Best to you
F01

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by ingwe
If you are actually going to be hunting game with this I'd say white in 3/32

I prefer this 3/32” white bead for the iron sighted rifles I use. They’re large medium and large caliber DGRs with all shots, except rarely within 40 yds. Exception was about 55 yds x2 and the bead proved perfect.

Tried the fiber optic for a while til it broke - too flimsy for the real world of branches and boulders meeting muzzles unexpectedly in the real world IME.

I like and have an NECG sourdough Patridge brass insert on a 458 Win with a rear peep. Works well and very visible. Also have an old NECG FS with a large fold down larger bead over smaller ‘fine’ bead on an older 416 Rem Mag which seemed like a good idea at the time. The more I’ve hunted up close-in to DG, the more I’ve gravitated to sights fixed in place stoutly sans gimmicks. Less chance for wrong gimmick in place at the right time.

My preference really runs to simple, rugged, visible fronts and rears like the ones on the Ruger Hawkeye African and Alaskan, with the NECG white bead replacement insert.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke
No express rifle guy, but I do use irons more than most. PNW heavy timber on an overcast or rainy day...I've tried a lot of styles. My favorite is a military style broad post or black patridge. I take a jewelers saw, Harbor Freight 14 bucks, cut a tiny vertical slit dead center on the black face....paint the saw kerf very carefully with ProTec lure paint...plain old white. Gives a low light precise repeatable aiming point. A flat top deep fairly wide rectangular rear, imagine an exaggerated patridge pistol sight, enhances the sight alignment. I hate fiber, to my eye it's just a colorful shotgun bead, and about as precise.

Great info on the jeweler's saw, never tried that, might do it.
Sir Dennis's XS with peep and the gold Elmer-Elevation inlays with a flat-top-square notch sound great too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That take-off barrel is buried in storage.
It would be an effort to dig it out for a photo of the little, filed and painted sourdough on that high ramp.
I might need to go through all my boxes of take-off barrels one day to look at beads.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Originally Posted by ingwe
If you are actually going to be hunting game with this I'd say white in 3/32

Tried the fiber optic for a while til it broke - too flimsy for the real world of branches and boulders meeting muzzles unexpectedly in the real world IME.

AH HA !
Another fiber optic dissident ! Intelligent man you are.
Thank you Sir Khulu, latest Knight of the Square Table.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hooray. Another one is coming together.

[Linked Image]

Sort of Westley Richards-ish ramp placement on this .458 WinMag on an FN action.
I like it.
Gold patridge or WOW ... mostly use a scope, can go with either, depends on rear sight for decoration,
peep works with either for me.

K
ktk120 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Appreciate all the lively discussion. I decided on brass bead in larger size. I figure i can always paint it white if needed.

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
446 members (300jimmy, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 38 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,030 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,932
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.