Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by TCIIIWNY
Small world, I actually exhibit at this show every year. Its an amazing gathering of seafood vendors and processing companies from all over the world. You need a couple days to take it all in

Hey TC. Cool on the connection and welcome to the 24hourclownshow! Be sure to zip up your asbestos suit. Tons of great content here, but sometimes one has to wade through a lot of garbage to find the good stuff. But then if you're here reading this you already knew that...

Before next year hit me up here via PM if you like and I'll buy you a beer and take you on a quick tour of the Bean. My hometown is Boston, so I know it very well. I'm guessing by your handle you're out of western NY. Is your business in commercial food prep/storage hardware, fish, distribution? Just curious. But yes, it's pretty amazing, some of these trade shows. Kind of like being at Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo but with a lot less frenzied chaos and not starting at 4am. wink

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No commercial harvest just a rec season.

I'm in a good zone for easy to snorkeling shallow grass beds that can be abundant and we have a three month long season, July 1 through Sept. 24.

So throughout the season I pretty much have all the Scallops I want.

[Linked Image from myfwc.com]

We have a daily limit of, per person: 2 gallons of whole bay scallops in shell or 1 pint of bay scallop meat
Per vessel: Maximum of 10 gallons of whole bay scallops in shell or 1/2 gallon bay scallop meat (1/2 gallon = 4 pints)

I imagine they are also farmed but I know nothing of it.
Regionally clams are farmed big time.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Pal covered it.

Long time ago found my self in an Indian village way north and far from any source of info on game laws, limits, etc. -- and an extreme minus tide with never gathered huge scallops covering the exposed rocks.

Like the proverbial kid in a candy shop! Maybe similar and many years ago, after a particularly brutal winter nor'easter hit here, I took Mrs. KG to the beach to have a look see at what we might find beachcombing at dead low. What we came across in the boulder fields in the shallows and above the beach proper --and as high as the dunes--just a vertiable carpet with all manner of live and kicking seafood that the storm tide had pushed onto the beachhead, then stranded lots of. I first knew something was up as we headed down the path toward the beach (south end of Plum Island) was when we saw hundreds of squawking and shrieking gulls intermittently taking off, circling and headed back down. Seemed like lots of them had something in their beaks, too..

Turns out they were grabbing medium sized live hardshell clams and scallops, and unable to poke them open, were picking them up, flying up into the sky then dropping them on the rocks below, cracking the shells and making it so they could feed on the contents. We gathered more than we could carry. Littlenecks, topnecks, cherrystones, surf clams, great piles of mussels, sea scallops, a few lobsters...Man, that was a fine outing and even better eating. Thanks, Ma Nature!

P.S. Good thing the local fish cops weren't present, as that is, well, how shall we say...frowned upon and slightly not legal.

Thanks for the great story, Mr. Okanagan.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by JeffA
No commercial harvest just a rec season.

I'm in a good zone for easy to snorkeling shallow grass beds that can be abundant and we have a three month long season, July 1 through Sept. 24.

So throughout the season I pretty much have all the Scallops I want.

[Linked Image from myfwc.com]

We have a daily limit of, per person: 2 gallons of whole bay scallops in shell or 1 pint of bay scallop meat
Per vessel: Maximum of 10 gallons of whole bay scallops in shell or 1/2 gallon bay scallop meat (1/2 gallon = 4 pints)

I imagine they are also farmed but I know nothing of it.
Regionally clams are farmed big time.

Way cool and thanks. That sounds like a blast and a great way to spend a morning or afternoon. Judging by the shell size looks like your scallops might be pretty small in size once shucked. Dime sized, maybe? Recreational shellfish permits required, I assume?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just a normal saltwater fishing licenses is all that's required.

Yep, dime to nickel size, the local farmed clams are small too but both are quite tasty making them well worth the effort.

Cedar Key has made a name for it's self with clam farming.
I buy them at my local seafood market for $20 per 50 count bag.
They come in fresh every Thursday.

[Linked Image from eadn-wc01-4177395.nxedge.io]

https://farmflavor.com/florida/shellfish-connoisseurs-are-drawn-to-cedar-key-clams-and-oysters/

We have a host of good fish to go after but my favorite is the Snook, tight season, restrictive limit and slots, etc. But there are always a few hovering around the pilings on my dock begging to join me for dinner.

[Linked Image from guiderecommended.com]

Florida’s iconic snook is hands down the best tasting fish caught in Florida’s waters. Here are several reasons why. They are hard to catch. Their flavor is mild and pleasurable to the palate. Their meat is firm, but not like the stiffness of a cobia or wahoo fillet; snook is perfectly flaky and almost melts in your mouth. Being a protected gamefish, you can’t buy or sell it, so in my mind this makes snook fillets priceless. It also keeps well in the freezer or refrigerator. Snook are easy to fillet, but be sure you always remove their skin before cooking. Be careful to avoid their razor sharp gill plates and pointed spines.

https://coastalanglermag.com/favorite-florida-fish-for-the-dining-table/

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Small world, I actually exhibit at this show every year. Its an amazing gathering of seafood vendors and processing companies from all over the world. You need a couple days to take it all in

Heeeeey new friend!!!!!

WELCOME TO THE 24HOURCAMPFIRE!!!!!!!!!

If you need anything, ANYTHING, talk to me.

I'm your guy!! ~wink~

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
T
Thanks! Ive been a lurker meaning to hop on for a while! Im in WNY but grew up in Rhody and have sisters in Boston and a daughter at Emerson. I work for Trans-Ocean Products, we make surimi seafood. Imitation crab and lobster. Id attach some show pics but it says theyre too big

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thanks! Ive been a lurker meaning to hop on for a while! Im in WNY but grew up in Rhody and have sisters in Boston and a daughter at Emerson. I work for Trans-Ocean Products, we make surimi seafood. Imitation crab and lobster. Id attach some show pics but it says theyre too big

Uh oh. Imitation lobster? Damn, and here I thought maybe we could be friends...

smile

Kidding, of course, and neat that you have local connections and work in the seafood industry. I've had plenty of crab sticks in my day but have yet to try any imitation lobster. I could be wrong but here in MA and likely New England in general I'm guessing that product won't sell well, but isn't your target market to begin with. I do see the crab sticks everywhere, however, from sushi bars to prepared 'seafood salad' sold in large supermarkets.

I just mentioned to my wife about your company and your being at the expo. She asked which one and I told her. She commented that she saw your company booth and that it was large and well done.

Not sure if you have an imgur account but it's pretty easy to grab a free account. Upload, click link and post. There are others available, but that's the one I use. Love to see some shots from your perspective.

On a side note, I used to get into trouble in Providence in my misspent youth and had tons of fun down there. Except that one time... frown wink

Offer still stands on a beer or three next year if you're game, and again, welcome to the 'Fire.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Just a normal saltwater fishing licenses is all that's required.

Yep, dime to nickel size, the local farmed clams are small too but both are quite tasty making them well worth the effort.

Cedar Key has made a name for it's self with clam farming.
I buy them at my local seafood market for $20 per 50 count bag.
They come in fresh every Thursday.

https://farmflavor.com/florida/shellfish-connoisseurs-are-drawn-to-cedar-key-clams-and-oysters/

We have a host of good fish to go after but my favorite is the Snook, tight season, restrictive limit and slots, etc. But there are always a few hovering around the pilings on my dock begging to join me for dinner.

[Linked Image from guiderecommended.com]

Florida’s iconic snook is hands down the best tasting fish caught in Florida’s waters. Here are several reasons why. They are hard to catch. Their flavor is mild and pleasurable to the palate. Their meat is firm, but not like the stiffness of a cobia or wahoo fillet; snook is perfectly flaky and almost melts in your mouth. Being a protected gamefish, you can’t buy or sell it, so in my mind this makes snook fillets priceless. It also keeps well in the freezer or refrigerator. Snook are easy to fillet, but be sure you always remove their skin before cooking. Be careful to avoid their razor sharp gill plates and pointed spines.

https://coastalanglermag.com/favorite-florida-fish-for-the-dining-table/

Very cool. Always wanted to get after the snook and have heard about how tasty they are and fun to catch. When I was down in Englewood in February with SD a few times we casually tried to hook a few of whatever was jumping in the canal behind the house in between drinks. We didn't try very hard and never set a hook, but after I left SD posted pics of what was at least one of the species back there: snook. We were told that they have trout, redfish, mutton, sheepshead and some other flavors. Love seeing different stuff in other folks' areas and I sure appreciate you and all the other folks for taking the time.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
...My apologies as well for starting things! And thank you for the insight.

No problem. You're welcome.

Originally Posted by kamo_gari

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
...My apologies as well for starting things! And thank you for the insight.

Wow! Attaboy.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

T
T
Come on now, sells like wildfire in Stoppy, Hannaford, Shaws, Big Y etc lol

Ill reach out next year for sure! Send me your addy and Ill send you vouchers for free product

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wish rock scallops weighed 50 lbs. each, best taste in the sea, to me. While I am at it, ditto for ruffed grouse, wish they weighed 50 lbs each!

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wish rock scallops weighed 50 lbs. each, best taste in the sea, to me. While I am at it, ditto for ruffed grouse, wish they weighed 50 lbs each!

And blue gills.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Come on now, sells like wildfire in Stoppy, Hannaford, Shaws, Big Y etc lol

Ill reach out next year for sure! Send me your addy and Ill send you vouchers for free product

Hilarious! Don't forget Star and Market Basket/Demoula's, bruthah. wink

Sounds good, TC. Being that you have fam' here, hit me up if you're in town before then. I just might be able to get us out for a few laughs if you have a little time. I'd send you a PM but but think that in order to utilize the PM function new members need to have a minimum of 25 posts.

Go easy and thanks, friend.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K

Yeah, I know, not a scallop but can you imagine the amount of butter and rings you'd need to accompany this steamer?

wink

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K

Those clams look awesome and very similar to our young hardshells. A buddy of mine is a shellfish guy for the state. He works with the hatcheries to 'seed' shellfish beds. Big duck hunter too. A few pics he's shared. These are hardshell clams. Same animal is referred to as topneck, littleneck, cherrystone and quahog, depending on age. Pretty cool to see the growth patterns and timelines.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pal covered it.

Long time ago found my self in an Indian village way north and far from any source of info on game laws, limits, etc. -- and an extreme minus tide with never gathered huge scallops covering the exposed rocks.

Like the proverbial kid in a candy shop! Maybe similar and many years ago, after a particularly brutal winter nor'easter hit here, I took Mrs. KG to the beach to have a look see at what we might find beachcombing at dead low. What we came across in the boulder fields in the shallows and above the beach proper --and as high as the dunes--just a vertiable carpet with all manner of live and kicking seafood that the storm tide had pushed onto the beachhead, then stranded lots of. I first knew something was up as we headed down the path toward the beach (south end of Plum Island) was when we saw hundreds of squawking and shrieking gulls intermittently taking off, circling and headed back down. Seemed like lots of them had something in their beaks, too..

Turns out they were grabbing medium sized live hardshell clams and scallops, and unable to poke them open, were picking them up, flying up into the sky then dropping them on the rocks below, cracking the shells and making it so they could feed on the contents. We gathered more than we could carry. Littlenecks, topnecks, cherrystones, surf clams, great piles of mussels, sea scallops, a few lobsters...Man, that was a fine outing and even better eating. Thanks, Ma Nature!

P.S. Good thing the local fish cops weren't present, as that is, well, how shall we say...frowned upon and slightly not legal.

Thanks for the great story, Mr. Okanagan.

You, Sir, are an opportunist of the first order, and you have impeccable timing! Bravo!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Welcome aboard.

My son and his wife spent two seasons on a pollack trawler in the Bering Sea, soon after they married. She was Purser and he was a deckhand and crane operator on a 240 foot boat. They processed pollack into surimi on the ship. I kind of like the stuff, in modest portions, in salad etc.

They brought home a lotta good stories.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
That cool, love seafood

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
OK, a few shots of having a go at some of the recently prepared bounty. To say the quality is outstanding would be a gross insult.

Panco breaded scallops released into the oil.

A few grains of sea salt. No dip or sauce. None needed.

'Buri'. Same fish as what is known go sushi people as 'hamachi'. Only difference is size. Buri are the larger ones, those over 80 cm in Japanese fish circles. One of my favorites raw and cooked. This one was wild caught off of Japan.

The 'kama', which is the so-called fish's collar. They are unbelievable broiled.

The cuts after cleaning it up and skinning. Maybe 6 pounds of RTE flesh I got.

Wife made the sushi rice and I threw together lunch.

Leighton, no knowledge of Japanese names, is the Buri, a yellowtail kingfish, in non native speak ?

[Linked Image from fishingworld.com.au]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,313 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,610
Posts18,454,896
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.