Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We're traveling to Namibia this June and overnighting in RSA. May I bring a suppressor? Have any of you done this? I'm waiting on a response from Gracy Travel but have just now asked then thought to post here.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
BP-B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Your problem most likely won't be with the African countries. Problem will be with the good old USA. I recently read on another forum about a guy wanting to take his suppressor to RSA. After much research he found he had to get special approval from our wonderful gov't to export then bring them back to the US. Having a Form 4457 for the suppressor wasn't enough.

Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Labman95
Your problem most likely won't be with the African countries. Problem will be with the good old USA. I recently read on another forum about a guy wanting to take his suppressor to RSA. After much research he found he had to get special approval from our wonderful gov't to export then bring them back to the US. Having a Form 4457 for the suppressor wasn't enough.

I would agree the 4457 isn't enough, one would need to have a copy of their AFT Form 4 which you are required to have when in possession of the can. I recall this requirement mentioned before and always have copies in my vehicle. I haven't been 100% successful coming back into the US and had a trophy shipment illegally confiscated at the Denver Airport. I was forced to pay for an overnight shipment of my trophies to Seattle. Next day I got it ironed out and my trophies were released. I came away with an apology but no refund.

Since other hunters aren't chiming in with successfully traveling with cans then I'll not risk travelling with mine.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
go to the AH forum there is a bunch of info on taking your suppressor to Africa and back. next month I will take mine with they claim the correct paperwork and last year took it with no questions at all. some get the approval some do not and we do not know why. a friend has been turned twice and is now trying again another no questions.it depends on the idiot that gets your paperwork at ATF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If you are hunting in either RSA or Namibia you can purchase a suppressor for $250-300. I did that and mine lives in RSA. I use it when I am there. All you need to do is provide the thread dimensions in advance.

PM me for more details. If you are using a 7mm mine might work for your trip.

Last edited by RinB; 03/17/23.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
PM sent

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buy one there and leave it.....

Easy button!

Last edited by NDHuntr; 03/19/23.

Do or do not, there is no try.
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
Buy one there and leave it.....

Easy button!

I've decided to bring my old can, it is heavily carboned up and is welded aluminum so cleaning isn't an option. I'll have it listed on my 4451 documenting I own it and will bring a copy of the tax stamp documenting I legally own it. I don't see where customs may legally prevent me from returning home with it. I'll travel with the can off the rifle and frankly expect the agent(s) to miss it and even if they do identify it I'll have all the documentation of legal ownership. I suspect others returning have failed to have a copy of their ATF Form 4 (tax stamp) in possession as detailed in the law.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
soak it in CLR for a couple days then blow it out and soak it again the crud will come out

Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hydehunter
soak it in CLR for a couple days then blow it out and soak it again the crud will come out

CLR will etch aluminum, I am not willing to use it.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Mean Green works well on suppressor's, and won't etch your can. Rio7

Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RIO7
Mean Green works well on suppressor's, and won't etch your can. Rio7
Added it to the shopping list and will try it. I'll weight the can before and after to determine effectiveness.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Boise, since you live in Rapid why don't you take it over to Mack Bros in Sturgis and see if Dale will fix you up he is a super nice guy and builds the suppressors for Silencer Central and get a tour of his shop

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
740 members (257 roberts, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,708 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.