Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by denton
What do Myanmar, Liberia, and the United States have in common? They are the only countries in the whole world that are not on the metric system. There is a reason practically all the world is metric. It's not because the metric system is less useful than SAE.

Actually if you had a clue you could see that the Metric system does not have any advantage over SAE, none and there are areas where SAE kicks Metrics azz.

Well, OK.....

How much heat energy is required to raise one quart of water 10 degrees Fahrenheit?

Vs..

How much heat energy is required to raise 1 liter of water 10 degrees C?

Or....

An object that weighs on pound on Earth is moved to a place in space where there is practically no gravity. How much force must be applied to accelerate it 10 feet/sec/sec?

Vs....

A 1 Kg object is moved to a place in space where there is practically no gravity. How much force must be applied to accelerate it 3 meters/sec/sec?

In both cases, someone who understands metric can answer the second question in 1 second flat. Try the first questions, time yourself, and let us know if it took you less than that.

Metric is vastly easier, and fully as precise as our system. But if you grew up on our system, the transition is painful. The worst situation is a helter skelter mix of the two, which is what we have in the US.

Be not weary in well doing.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Valsdad
.... because 16ths, 32nds, and 64ths are so much easier to deal with than everything being in 10ths?

YES. Because everything (within the inch unit of measure) is half of half of half of half..... Half inch, quarter inch, eighth inch, sixteenth inch, thirty second inch, 64th inch, 128th inch (nobody actually uses 128th inch much though...). Dividing in half is natural and relatively easy. It can be figured out with 1:2 dividers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
But the places with metric often have Celsius too. Which is less precise than fahrenheit.

So tell us how it's about precision and accuracy lol

Could be like 3 or four degrees colder or hotter, same temp in C

Only time and place where one should use the metric system for temp is when it's -40.

Other wise water at sea level freezes at 32 degrees F like the Founding Fathers decreed.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Stophel
I detest the metric system with every fiber of my being. I hate it more than I hate Allen screws... and I REALLY hate Allen screws.
More than Torx?

I'm not a huge fan of Torx, but it is head and shoulders better than Allen screws. Torx bits/screws don't generally strip out like Allen screws/wrenches do... and they do SO easily.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blindshooter
God help me, I still have Whitworth tools. My misspent youth fooling with motorcycles.
Nice to hear. Mine are buried somewhere in a corner of the shop - figured I might be the only dinosaur still holding those.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by shrapnel
SAE designed and engineered equipment defeated the metrics in 2 world wars and the losers are still trying to make us go backwards…

Yep, all those Rolls-Merlin engines in the P-51's with Whitworth threads and wrench sizes didn't help at all, right?

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Stophel
Originally Posted by Valsdad
.... because 16ths, 32nds, and 64ths are so much easier to deal with than everything being in 10ths?

YES. Because everything (within the inch unit of measure) is half of half of half of half..... Half inch, quarter inch, eighth inch, sixteenth inch, thirty second inch, 64th inch, 128th inch (nobody actually uses 128th inch much though...). Dividing in half is natural and relatively easy. It can be figured out with 1:2 dividers.

On your precision rule, how far is it from the 17/128ths mark to the 19/32nds mark?

Vs....

How far is it from the .195 cm mark to the .205 cm mark?

If you can do the first one faster than I can do the second, I'll treat you to a root beer.

Is your dial caliper graduated in 1/1024ths of an inch? If it is graduated in 1/1000ths of an inch, it's a decimal system, rather than powers of 2.

Last edited by denton; 03/20/23.

Be not weary in well doing.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Have you ever had an injection?

The precise dose you received wasn't measured in fractions of an ounce... It was in CCs, cubic centimeters.

Imperial makes no sense, example:
A mile is 5280 feet, odd but okay,

A foot is 12 inches, where did 12 come from?

But each inch is not divided by 12 but rather 2,4,8,16,32 and 64,
unless you're a machinist and each inch is divided by 10, 100 and 1000 but inches are still, 12ths of a foot.

P.S, Nasa used Metric for the Apollo moon landings, not Imperial... just sayin..

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I'd much rather say I have a 36 waist than to say I had a 914.4 waist........

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The French invented the metric system for the math challenged. I need to convert between the two systems at work. Much more natural for me to think in Degrees F and inches, acres and miles.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When I drove thru Mexico first time a long time ago I was always looking at signs with distances to towns in km and multiplying by 5 and diving by 8 to figure out mph to figure out my eta based on my mph. And then it dawned on me all i had to do was look at the km/h marks on my speedometer duh!

all you guys who want to measure in 64th's go for it. I like 10's anymore

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
metric systems actually fairly easy .

but I can do inches or metric no big deal but this will blow your mind then a lot of our blueprints are actually in 10th of an foot
so it looks like a lot of people here with short circuit trying to do that..

Last edited by ldholton; 03/20/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=wabigoon]Metric sucks, an incomplete system that is poorly balanced.

YGTBSM

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ldholton

but I can do inches or metric no big deal but this will blow your mind then a lot of our blueprints are actually in 10th of an inch.

Engineer scales rock, Architects scales suck hairy donkey balls.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by wabigoon
If they'd gone to it before we were born, we'd like it. A friend that ran a motor grader talked about an engineer's foot. 12 inches divided by ten for easy figuring.

All surveying and grade work is done in Tenths of feet. dumber than either Sae or metric. The federal government uses metric for road work now and it is way easier after a day of getting used to it. Most every vehicle built in the last 20 years is all metric also.....

Last edited by wyoming260; 03/20/23.
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have completely conquered the metric system with a set of wrenches and a socket set. No more bullshyte trying a 9/16 on a 13MM, I like metric until I dont have the wrench.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

but I can do inches or metric no big deal but this will blow your mind then a lot of our blueprints are actually in 10th of an inch.

Engineer scales rock, Architects scales suck hairy donkey balls.
I corrected my post but not soon enough to take care of this it's actually 10th of a foot or otherwise known 10th's

Last edited by ldholton; 03/20/23.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
What do Myanmar, Liberia, and the United States have in common? They are the only countries in the whole world that are not on the metric system. There is a reason practically all the world is metric. It's not because the metric system is less useful than SAE.

Actually if you had a clue you could see that the Metric system does not have any advantage over SAE, none and there are areas where SAE kicks Metrics azz.

Well, OK.....

How much heat energy is required to raise one quart of water 10 degrees Fahrenheit?

Vs..

How much heat energy is required to raise 1 liter of water 10 degrees C?

Or....

An object that weighs on pound on Earth is moved to a place in space where there is practically no gravity. How much force must be applied to accelerate it 10 feet/sec/sec?

Vs....

A 1 Kg object is moved to a place in space where there is practically no gravity. How much force must be applied to accelerate it 3 meters/sec/sec?

In both cases, someone who understands metric can answer the second question in 1 second flat. Try the first questions, time yourself, and let us know if it took you less than that.

Metric is vastly easier, and fully as precise as our system. But if you grew up on our system, the transition is painful. The worst situation is a helter skelter mix of the two, which is what we have in the US.

If you are pondering theoreticals sure metric is easy but building anything is easier with SAE, every time. You seem to be missing the point. There are things not done on a calculator.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

but I can do inches or metric no big deal but this will blow your mind then a lot of our blueprints are actually in 10th of an foot

Odd the blueprints I saw and used at Bell were either metric or inch. We far preferred the latter. Fewer decimals to fool with." is less filling than MM.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Odd the blueprints I saw and used at Bell were either metric or inch. We far preferred the latter. Fewer decimals to fool with." is less filling than MM.
I'm talking blueprints for subdivisions inner structure sewer , water storm drains , subgrade, asphalt finish grade top of curb grade etc..

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,907
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.