Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dinny
What's the consensus on Precision Matthews lathe? I'm looking at their China-made 1130V. I like the 1 1/2" spindle bore, short head stock, VFD, and 120 V power.

My purpose for this machine would be muzzle threading, general turning and boring of small parts.

https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1130v-lathe/

Not bottom of the barrel, but close.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

GB1

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
What's the consensus on Precision Matthews lathe? I'm looking at their China-made 1130V. I like the 1 1/2" spindle bore, short head stock, VFD, and 120 V power.

My purpose for this machine would be muzzle threading, general turning and boring of small parts.

I’ve got one and really like it.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by pal

Which similar/in-class lathe is better?

Medics bury their mistakes..
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pal

Which similar/in-class lathe is better?

"Similar/in-class" meaning another Chinese lathe? I wouldn't know. But you're almost always better off buying a quality used lathe with tooling, for the same money (or less, by the time you buy the tooling). These Chinese lathes seem very appealing to beginners who have not yet taken the time to learn about lathes, and therefore fear the risk of assessing a used one. Taking comfort, instead, on the shiny "newness" of a cheaply made copy.

Checkout: http://www.lathes.co.uk/page21.html

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pal

What issues have you run into when using the PM1130V?

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Radio silence, Al.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by pal

What issues have you run into when using the PM1130V?

Good shootin' -Al
Radio silence, Al.

That was a rhetorical question, right? My current lathe is a Monarch 10EE. While not in the same category as a Precision Mathews, it gets me by. Weighs about 7 times what the PM weighs. Came with its own base.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Pal,
That's a beautiful piece of machinery! I'm sure our tastes are different as are our purposes. I doubt I could thread a muzzle with the action still attached using your lathe. That's why I'm interested in a lathe with a large(r) spundle bore and a short headstock.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pal,
That's a beautiful piece of machinery! I'm sure our tastes are different as are our purposes. I doubt I could thread a muzzle with the action still attached using your lathe. That's why I'm interested in a lathe with a large(r) spundle bore and a short headstock.

Thanks. The spindle bore is 1-13/32" diameter, surely enough for that type of work.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
one thing - get a brake pedal version if you can … or at least that’s what Mikey told me a few years back, not sure if he saw something bad or not…

But a Lathe will Kill you if you’re stupid about it… just like any other piece of heavy machinery.

Just something unsaid on the thread so far.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That Monarch is a wonderful looking piece of machinery with great reviews from everyone I've ever talked to who operated one. Is that a 24" model? Do you ever feel limited by the short bed work area?

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sheister
That Monarch is a wonderful looking piece of machinery with great reviews from everyone I've ever talked to who operated one. Is that a 24" model? Do you ever feel limited by the short bed work area?

I like it. It is 12-1/2" x 20". Because it has a large spindle bore I have never needed a longer bed. BTW it has 5 hp and operates on 230-volts single phase.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The PM lathes aren't Chinese built. They are Taiwanese which is supposedly much higher quality from what I've read elsewhere. I personally have a Smithy 14x40, and not one of the combo machines because those are trash. Mine has a 1.5" spindle bore and has done everything that I've asked of it.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
The PM lathes aren't Chinese built.

Check again, you're not entirely right or wrong. Some PM machines are made in China and some are made in Taiwan. Words matter.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
#1 and #2 rules of machining, whether a beginner or an old hack... Never allow anyone in your work area. And No loose long hair, loose clothing, jewelry of any kind (particularly rings), and keep your tools on the bench not on the machine. I worked at a shop way back in the 60's and the company had one of those bring your kids to work days. One old guy brought his Granddaughter (about 9 or 10 years old) had hair down to her waist. She got to wondering around and somehow her hair got caught in one of the machines work. The SWARF caught her hair and wrapped it around the running work and pulled her into the machine. Ripped her scalp all most completely off. I don't think places even do that any more. But brings up another rule, whenever possible grind or use a bit with a chip-breaker... and never wear gloves while machining either. May seem like fun to see who or how long a continuous string of SWARF you can make, but its a waste, hard on the bits, and dangerous.

Phil

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Greyghost
#1 and #2 rules of machining, whether a beginner or an old hack... Never allow anyone in your work area. And No loose long hair, loose clothing, jewelry of any kind (particularly rings), and keep your tools on the bench not on the machine...

Actually the number one rule of machining (and woodworking) is:

Thou shalt not touch spinning bits (blades, cutters, etc).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And always make sure the wrench is out of the chuck before powering it up.

Forbidden Zoner
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
And always make sure the wrench is out of the chuck before powering it up.

This is unnecessary because rule #2 is:

Never leave the wrench in the chuck.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Precision is as Precision Does... the making of the Colchester lathes.

thought you all might be interested in the video.

Phil

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Can not believe this 14 pager.. what a rabbit hole. Great read. Keep the pics coming guys. Work that these machines turn out is always interesting. Rifle or other.
My compliments to those who have the time and patience to keep the older iron in tip top shape

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (35, 01Foreman400, 69sportfury, 2UP, 300jimmy, 17 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,134
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.